Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: weekend report  (Read 1717 times)

Offline iaslab

• IceShanty Rookie
weekend report
« on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:38 PM »
Was wandering how everyone did over the weekend? We have fished everday for the last week except for New Years. We fished a different body of water everday. We marked alot of fish but only caught a few. It was the same scenario everyday....We could jig fish in but they would look at it and then back off. We switched different jigs from large to small, bait and no bait and all colors but to no avail. What is your guys take on it? I even switch to a leeser lb. line. IASLAB

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: weekend report
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:51 PM »
 I stayed home where it was warm, no fun when its -35.

Offline doonan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2010, 09:51 PM »
got out three times and caught two eyes in about 12 hours of fishing. Pretty slow weekend for me

Offline iaslab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2010, 09:58 PM »
some guys are talking about the barometric pressure.. Sounds like bad timing for me since I have to go back to work tomorrow.

Offline jmvsmv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2010, 10:10 PM »
We had very little luck today.  We found some bluegills that just didn't want to bite.  We moved a couple times and didn't get much action, but going into dusk we did end up with 4 walleye, biggest being 14"  Now the walleyes were a different story I marked 4 missed one of those, caught 2 and only had one swim away without biting. My buddy had a camera but it died going into dusk, so he was fishing blind but he caught 2 missed one, but no clue how many swam by him.  Was real tough, every report I heard said same thing for the last couple days....  not many caught.

Offline icehead79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2010, 10:47 PM »
me and couple buddy went to 12 mile got into some pretty nice bluegills no crappie or walleye but caught fish constant throughout the day wish i had a picture of some but forgot to do that before we cleaned them.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2010, 10:58 PM »
Southern Iowas a whole different universe than Northern Iowa for fishing. I'm sure the 30" of snow cover and super high arctic high pressure system up here isn't helping. Forcast doen't look great either, 1 more weekend off for a late Christmas then look out fish.

Offline 63110

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2010, 12:03 AM »
Was on Vacation over the holiday fished a lot around marion and warren counties.  We were knocking them dead until this cold front came in.  last few days had alot of fish come and look, but refuse to bite.  Today went through about everything in my jig box and could not get them to hit anything.  Feel better after reading this post, atleast it just was not me.  Has to be the high pressure that came in with this cold front, sounds like it will be tough for the rest of the week.  Calling for a little snow Wed maybe things will turn around then.

Offline cdt80

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2010, 12:46 AM »
I haven't been able to catch anything for the last week.  Lots of fish looking but no takers.

Offline IowaIceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2010, 08:17 AM »
Fished Sandpits and Farmponds here in extreme NW Iowa.  Caught gills and crappies on Thursday and nothing but gills on Saturday.  The bite was sporadic but we did get into some nicer gills.  LOTS of tiny ones but kept it interesting between the keepers.  Kept 8 fish in 3.5 hours.  Brother was on Big Spirit on Saturday and didn't catch a fish.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2010, 09:17 AM »
I had some tough days last week and some good ones. The high pressure Thursday just put a stop to any fish movement where I had been fishing, but Friday I did good at Spirit Lake. Saturday I was at that gravel pit south of Sioux Center and caught a bunch of dinks and about 3 worth keeping. The weather needs to stabilize and we need to find a way to get to all of the usual spots. I would love to get to Miller Bay on West O.  Keep on drilling and good luck.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline red_hawk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2010, 09:30 AM »
Slow weekend for us also at Badger Creek.  Caught a few tiny gills and crappies throughout the day and ended up moving a few times near dusk, finding a good spot with some cover.  From 3-6 pm there was a ton of movement.  Every few minutes the bottom six feet on the vex would turn solid red but we managed only one gill out of it all.  A very frustrating time furiously changing jigs trying to find what they were biting on.
Lots of lookers but no takers.

Offline bus33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2010, 10:00 AM »
Same story for me in Central Iowa.  Lots of fishing and moving around with only one perch to show for it.  I am a firm believer that this pressure system is screwing things up. 

Offline 63110

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2010, 10:37 AM »
At 6 a.m. Pressure was 30.55 that is HIGH.  Have heard in the past that any thing over 30 don't bother going fishing it will be super tough.  Wed they are calling for a front to come through this should help things out. 

What is your goto bait when conditions are tough like this?

Offline iaslab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2010, 12:56 PM »
I havent had a goto bait this past week. We have had to throw everything at them. I did get out earlier this morning and had a good bite until 10:00 am but they were dink gills and one 11" crappie. Maybe this front coming in will help. I do prefer the gill pill or diamond jig. IASLAB.

Offline 0U812

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2010, 03:48 PM »
This weekend we had a mixed bag, some good bites but we did have to work for it. :(  Hope that this cold pushes out and fishing picks up.

Offline therealjt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh i wish i was a fishing
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2010, 06:30 PM »
fished badger on friday, 12 fow from 11am-4pm and took a limit of bluegills and some crappie home. Bite was hot all day after we found what they wanted... pink and white was the color.

jt

Offline icefishermitch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2010, 04:29 PM »
It was very slow this week!! I did fish my uncles private development lake near west des moines and I was nailing the crappies. My dad and I caught about 50 a piece in an hour and a half. They were all biting at 6 feet deep in 16 feet of water.
Best to all, Mitch

Offline 63110

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:11 PM »
Little better for us today with the weather coming in.  Fished two farm ponds caught 3 crappie 11-12 inches and several keeper gills.  Used fire tiger, clown, and pink dimond jigs with waxies.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.