The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Newaygo County  (Read 873 times)

Offline BenR73

• IceShanty Rookie
Newaygo County
« on: Jan 07, 2019, 06:58 PM »
How about the ice condition in the lakes in the Pierson and/or Howard City area?  I was thinking about making another run up on Saturday but to a different area of lakes?  For no other reason than I am exploring new territories and just enjoy being out there. Plan to fish afternoon until after dark.  Any feedback or recommendations are appreciated.  Thanks to all.

:icefish:

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Newaygo County
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2019, 01:00 PM »
We had lots of rain yesterday and mild temps last night, now that is all going to change again this afternoon about 4 with the cold front coming in and snow.  I am going to check a couple lakes Thursday around the house that I was on last weekend and think they should be ok.  I have heard of guys fishing the cove on Bills lake and told that is a early ice spot.

Offline BenR73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2019, 06:58 AM »
thank you.  we plan on coming up on Saturday afternoon.  let me know any concerns after you get out later this week.  tight lines!

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2019, 11:21 AM »
I fish a shallow (7fow max) private lake in Howard City...had 5" of ice last weekend.  Prolly a bit slushy right now but by this weekend with the predicted cold temps I would imagine it will be locked up tight again.  Foot travel only at this point but I would not be surprised if I see machines out this weekend....by next weekend for sure.

The larger/deeper lakes (Big Whitefish etc.) have not been safe yet for any type of travel....I would think they would be good for foot travel+ by Jan. 19th....Just my guess at this point.
Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2019, 03:23 PM »
We didn't get much snow last night and temperature was 20 deg at 2pm.  I didn't have time to check today but plan on it tomorrow on my way to work and planning on being on the ice again Friday after work.

Offline BenR73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2019, 06:19 PM »
Netminder,  If you get a chance to post Friday after getting off the ice please.  I will only be getting out on foot and plan on hitting one of the smaller lakes in the area.  if it doesn't look good we will continue north.  Thanks a bunch. Good luck and be safe!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.