Author Topic: Weekend weather forecast  (Read 509 times)

Offline Running for flags

• Team IceShanty Regular
Weekend weather forecast
« on: Dec 19, 2018, 05:23 AM »
So watching the weather I’m seing a storm coming in that could drop an inch of rain and temps near 50 on Friday and lingering into Saturday, while I think the ice will hold up alright in most places, my thoughts are thinking it’s going to become difficult to deal with. Lots g water in top of the ice and water finding any holes tht were drilled the days prior. I have fished this sort of ice before and find it more difficult as the water flows down the hole spiraling the bait and line . Anybody else find this to be difficult
Wait there's ice????

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Weekend weather forecast
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2018, 07:44 AM »
Yeah, last year I had a day like that, it was tripping flags just from the flow of water that was rushing down the hole. Real easy to send baits down there though!

I'm thinking the edges of some ponds are going to get hammered. The forecast is actually saying a possible 2 to 3" of rain for the whole event from Thursday to Sunday which is a crazy amount. Just hoping it doesn't kill any headway we've made on the big lakes.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline ScotNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2018, 07:50 AM »
On the plus side, we aren’t getting 24” of snow on top of the ice to slow down our walking. The forecast after this weekend looks great for firming things back up quickly. I think it will just hamper this weekend.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2018, 07:51 AM »
on a positive note, once it all refreezes it'll make walking to your spot easier! Although, I haven't fished many lakes with snow on them. I'm hoping it doesn't ruin the ice, I'm off from work Dec 24-Jan 1st
Tight Lines!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2018, 07:55 AM »
Wow, looked yesterday morning and nothing forecast, now heavy rain... bummer. Atleast water freezes a lot better than snow.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2018, 08:22 AM »
This time of year I'd rather see rain...2' of snow on 6 or 7 " of ice would set us back big time..
If it was March it would be bad...but now it's the equivalent of a head cold...effects gone in a week..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Running for flags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2018, 09:09 AM »
True! The forecast does call for freezing nights and another plus is when rain freezes on top it’s good solid black ice eater than snow freezing for white ice! It says it will move in Saturday mid morning though so as long as it holds up through Friday it should be ok
Wait there's ice????

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.