Author Topic: Rod Recycling  (Read 593 times)

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Rod Recycling
« on: Feb 11, 2014, 03:39 PM »
I ended up hanging around the house all weekend after tweaking my back Thursday. After the boredom set in I needed something to do so I went through all my broken stuff and came up with a nice cork and stainless rod handle and seat from a BPS microlite with a broken rod tip and a nice upper half of a medium Dawia Aird... All that was left was to put them together. A little drilling, a little filing and good to go. I hung a medium sized Shimano Sonora with 4 pound micro ice line on it. I'll use it for jiggin outside the shack in those "hit and run" holes. It ended up at about 40" butt to tip. I took it with me out back to walk the pup for a few minutes and grabbed one small yellow but it felt pretty good.

The donor seat:

The donor rod tip:

All finished up:

It works LOL.

"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline NHSlabbinCabin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Rod Recycling
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2014, 03:48 PM »
I'm partial to long rods for panfish. Just ordered one from Jase Custom Rods. Can't wait to get it. Great job on yours, looks like a winner!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2014, 04:41 PM »
Thanks, I'm so used to using 22"-24" rods in the shack. With this one I almost pulled the lips off that little yellow lol. Definitely need to get used to not needing the big hookset like a shorty does.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2014, 04:48 PM »
Great job stealth.  :thumbsup:
Sounds like a win / win. Mending both body and rods.

Offline NHSlabbinCabin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2014, 05:27 PM »
You do have to fish them a bit differently but they are tons of fun. They really shine in shallow water, 10 feet or so. No need to reel up, just lift the fish out of the hole and set right back in. It's great when the schools come by, you can start pulling some real numbers then

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2014, 06:46 PM »
I hear ya there, the little pond out back is 6' on a good day and just like you said no reeling... I yanked up, felt the solid thump of the hook set and then felt the solid thump of his head missing the hole and hitting the ice lol. If he hadn't missed the hole he would went flying up in the air...

And thanks CD

Offline treeguymark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2014, 06:56 PM »
thats a cool idea !! i ve got some broken rods in the shed,  looks like a good project to go along with new bait traps i was thinking of building !  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
fishin is my mission !!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2014, 07:01 PM »
Careful!!! This is how the rod building bug bites!

Once you see how easy it is to make really great stuff for yourself, you will be building for the whole neighborhood. It starts with tinkering with old rods, next thing you know you're ordering blanks. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.