The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Eskimo P1 Rocket, F1 Rocket or Jiffy Pro 44  (Read 8721 times)

Offline Angler15

• IceShanty Rookie
Eskimo P1 Rocket, F1 Rocket or Jiffy Pro 44
« on: Dec 04, 2017, 11:27 PM »
Anyone have any experience with the new Eskimo P1 or F1 yet? Just wondering how they compare to a Jiffy's Pro 44 since Jiffy has faster turning augers. I like the idea of going propane this year but won't rule out the F1. Just was unsure of it because of its smaller 33cc engine. I drilled a few holes last year with a Pro 44 and really liked it but have never used an Eskimo.

Offline superstockbigblock

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Eskimo P1 Rocket, F1 Rocket or Jiffy Pro 44
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2017, 07:25 PM »
Fired up my f1 the first time today. Won't know how it drills till we get ice. Wanted light, easy starting, and fast...tbd. Made the choice because friends had Eskimos and they started and ran good,  stayed away from propane even though my buddy's Eskimo worked great last year... so nothing against them either.

Offline Angler15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2017, 02:52 PM »
Awesome, I hope it's as good as it looks like it will be. I need a lightweight auger myself and you can't get much lighter than that at 22lbs. I'm going to Scheels this weekend to hopefully be able to look at the F1 and P1 in person to see which one I like better. I'm still sort of leaning towards propane but I don't think you can go wrong with either. Eskimo has a pretty good track record. Let me know how it cuts once you get to use it.

Offline revolutionz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2017, 10:20 AM »
I've used my P1 Rocket a couple times now.  Runs and starts just as good as my old HC40, but definitely spins faster.  I didn't notice much difference on the breakthrough with that new cast ring on the bottom.  To me, the speed increase was worth the upgrade from the HC40 to the P1.

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2017, 02:47 PM »
I picked up a P1 this year; but, it's still in the box.  As soon as we get some ice and I get it out and punch a few holes, I'll report back.

Offline Angler15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2017, 08:19 PM »
I've used my P1 Rocket a couple times now.  Runs and starts just as good as my old HC40, but definitely spins faster.  I didn't notice much difference on the breakthrough with that new cast ring on the bottom.  To me, the speed increase was worth the upgrade from the HC40 to the P1.

That's good to hear and the extra cutting speed would be worth it to me as well. I'm upgrading from an old Strikemaster that has a bent bit. It tries to take your arms off at the bottom of the hole so anything is an upgrade on breakthrough for me. It tires me out so fast and really limits the number of holes I can drill in a day. The P1 will be well worth it.

Offline Angler15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2017, 08:28 PM »
I picked up a P1 this year; but, it's still in the box.  As soon as we get some ice and I get it out and punch a few holes, I'll report back.

Sounds good. I plan on using my hand auger until there's 8 inches of ice then I'll pick mine up. Hoping someone will run some kind of sale soon. Might be fishing by next week.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2017, 09:34 PM »
I've had a Jiffy for many years and have had a Pro 44 for the last three years. I had a couple of buddies buy the Eskimo propane augers last year and they definitely cut faster than my and another buddy's Jiffy's! I saw it too many times to think it was a fluke. As much as I hate to admit it, I've purchased a P1 Rocket and selling my lightly used Jiffy Pro 44.

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2017, 09:53 PM »
I've had a Jiffy for many years and have had a Pro 44 for the last three years. I had a couple of buddies buy the Eskimo propane augers last year and they definitely cut faster than my and another buddy's Jiffy's! I saw it too many times to think it was a fluke. As much as I hate to admit it, I've purchased a P1 Rocket and selling my lightly used Jiffy Pro 44.

Definitely thought you were going to start talking about how bad the Eskimo was and how happy you were with your Jiffy.  Thanks for the honest reply.  Makes me feel better about my purchase with zero experience!

Offline Angler15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2017, 05:33 PM »

A lot of people considered the HC40 somewhat slow so it'll be interesting to see how fast the P1 actually is. I thought the Jiffy 44 was pretty darn quick, especially compared to what I had been using. I'm expecting the P1 to fly through the ice. Good luck with your P1! I'll probably do some kind of review once I drill some holes with it. I emailed Eskimo with a few questions late the other night and they got back to me first thing in the morning with detailed answers. Pretty happy about that.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2017, 07:34 PM »
I emailed them earlier in the year and they were said the 33cc f1 was cutting through as quick as their 71cc in 34" of ice. Now I have f1... need ice!

Offline Angler15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2017, 10:21 PM »
I emailed them earlier in the year and they were said the 33cc f1 was cutting through as quick as their 71cc in 34" of ice. Now I have f1... need ice!

I just watched someone on youtube cut with his F1 in 10in. Was pretty impressive for a 33cc. Cut fast and didn't bog down at all. Can't wait to see the 8in.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2017, 03:30 AM »
2 years ago I bout a Strikemaster laser. Pretty fast in my opinion. Then again I was coming from a 15 year old Jiffy 2 hp.  Look forward to see how the new Eskimo works out.

Offline icemann13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2017, 06:02 PM »
Bought a F1 two weeks ago. Only 4 inches of ice around here. Have drilled about 40 holes so far and the unit starts and runs effortlessly. Very pleased so far.

Offline Angler15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2017, 09:44 PM »
Bought a F1 two weeks ago. Only 4 inches of ice around here. Have drilled about 40 holes so far and the unit starts and runs effortlessly. Very pleased so far.

Good to hear! There are a couple of videos on the 10in that are impressive. I'm sure the 8in will fly through the ice. I'm still on the edge if I want to go F1 or P1. I like the low maintenance of the propane but gas doesn't really bother me either. Also can't decide if I want an 8in or 10in. I like to drill a ridiculous amount of holes for pans and walleyes but also throw tip-ups out for pike pretty often. I'm a very indecisive person, ha.

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2017, 12:07 AM »
Took the P1 out for the first time today and had 10” of good ice to play with.  Fired right up in single digit temperature, ran like a beast, and punched holes with no issue.  A lot quicker than I expected.  I have the 10” auger and wouldn’t think twice about buying it again.  Granted, this is based off of a day’s use and less than a couple dozen holes drilled.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2018, 11:00 AM »
I had the Jiffy Pro 4-Lite a couple years ago, then I got the HC40.  The Jiffy spun faster than my Eskimo, but the Jiffy has a singled chipper style blade and the Eskimo has two blades.  As far as time to cut through the same thickness of ice, I couldn't tell a difference, even though the Eskimo is a 10".  After looking at the newer Eskimos, it appears they tried designing a lighter auger, whereby having to change the blade design as well. 
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2018, 12:31 PM »
Took the P1 out for the first time today and had 10” of good ice to play with.  Fired right up in single digit temperature, ran like a beast, and punched holes with no issue.  A lot quicker than I expected.  I have the 10” auger and wouldn’t think twice about buying it again.  Granted, this is based off of a day’s use and less than a couple dozen holes drilled.
Glad you like it. Just remember to let the auger do the cutting and don't push down on it.
<===Lefty===

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2018, 12:37 PM »
I just looked at the P1 on Youtube, it spins fast but it sure doesn't look like it cuts/digs faster then the HC40.  It also spits out a lot of ice, like the Jiffy chipper heads do, maybe because it spins faster. 
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline Angler15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2018, 05:44 PM »
I ordered the F1 in 8in. Should be here tomorrow. I really hope I don't regret going gas instead of propane.

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2018, 08:15 PM »
Glad you like it. Just remember to let the auger do the cutting and don't push down on it.

Yep, that’s how I run it.  It did well again yesterday.  Probably at 40 holes so far and still on the same propane canister.

Fired right up on the second pull in -10, too.  I really like it, so far.

Offline Duke307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2018, 09:46 AM »
Used my P1 for the first time yester. 8 inches of ice, drilled about 15 holes and I am very impressed with it. Spins fast, cuts fast and starts great.  It wasn't to cold while I was using it. So I don't know how it will start in 0 degree weather. But I am very impressed with it. I am going from a shark z71 10 and the p1 cuts about as fast.

Offline dbuchmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was fishin'!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2018, 01:36 PM »
Bought an F1 last week after my 13 year old Mako cracked the piston.  Like the lightweight of it and does cut fast. Have had issues with it icing up really bad but it has been below zero so water doesn't even get a chance to run off. Sprayed and wiped it with White Lithium grease the other day and will try it out this weekend to see if that helps. Starts easy and runs well. 

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2018, 02:38 PM »
Used my P1 for the first time yester. 8 inches of ice, drilled about 15 holes and I am very impressed with it. Spins fast, cuts fast and starts great.  It wasn't to cold while I was using it. So I don't know how it will start in 0 degree weather. But I am very impressed with it. I am going from a shark z71 10 and the p1 cuts about as fast.

You won’t have any issues at 0 degrees.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2018, 02:46 PM »
Bought an F1 last week after my 13 year old Mako cracked the piston.  Like the lightweight of it and does cut fast. Have had issues with it icing up really bad but it has been below zero so water doesn't even get a chance to run off. Sprayed and wiped it with White Lithium grease the other day and will try it out this weekend to see if that helps. Starts easy and runs well.

When you pull it out of the water throttle it up and let it spin in the air for a few seconds, it helps spin the water off the blades and slow down the ice build up.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2018, 07:42 PM »
I have noticed ice on my f1 as well... starts great,  light,  cuts fast.  I like it so far,  -11 last time fishing and couldn't get heater to start... but the auger fired right up.

Offline WYcoyote

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 07, 2018, 12:04 AM »
Bought a 10" propane P! Rocket a couple days ago and drilled some holes today for the first time. Have to echo the previous post. Starts great, cuts fast, and noticeably lighter than my 29 year old Model 30 Jiffy.
Now only if it lasts 29 years and cuts thousands of holes, I'll be 90.

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 07, 2018, 04:16 PM »
Bought a 10" propane P! Rocket a couple days ago and drilled some holes today for the first time. Have to echo the previous post. Starts great, cuts fast, and noticeably lighter than my 29 year old Model 30 Jiffy.

Wouldn’t that be great!

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #28 on: Jan 07, 2018, 06:30 PM »

I hope you and your auger are still fishing at 90.  I'm 56 and just replaced the gas auger I've used for the past 30 years.  I'm looking at being 86 if my new auger lasts as long as the previous one.  :-)

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 09, 2018, 10:48 AM »
I finally got to use my P1 Rocket on the weekend too. It is faster and way lighter than my Jiffy. I guess I will sell the JIffy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.