Author Topic: STRIKER ICE BOOTS VS MUCK ARCTIC PROS  (Read 4176 times)

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
STRIKER ICE BOOTS VS MUCK ARCTIC PROS
« on: Jan 08, 2019, 07:45 AM »
I am at the start of about my 5th season with my Muck arctic pros. I LOVED them, however around season 2, they started developing cracks (only on right foot) around to flex area...they are so cracks now, it looks like toe is ready to break off, but my feet still stay dry. Yesterday, while on the ice, i almost walked out of my left sole. So the mucks have had it, and i expected more then 5 years out of them, not to mention the cracking after 2.
So time is up for maybe another pair? Or do I try striker boots? I love the quality of their suits, do the boots follow "suite"? I dont want to give up warmth, and it looks like the striker might be a tad lighter. Anyone have a recommendation? Thanks

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: STRIKER ICE BOOTS VS MUCK ARCTIC PROS
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2019, 07:49 AM »
Are your Mucks stored in your truck or where the sun can shine on them in the house?  Cracking can be from UV and heat exposure.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2019, 07:57 AM »
Yup, sun and heat (close to campfires) kill them. Best boots ever IMHO.

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2019, 08:02 AM »
I store my muck artic pros in a closet 8 years old and no cracks, they are still like new. I only use them ice fishing and shoveling snow.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline Fishwacker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2019, 08:13 AM »
I tried a pair of striker boots this year for one day. Left boot was fine right boot gave me a heal blister from 200 yards of walking. Store manager was nice enough to let me return used foot ware next day.
Sometimes it pays to go with what you know instead of trying something new. If your Mucks fit good buy another.
Think the strikers are closer to Arctic sports.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2019, 08:25 AM »
Are your Mucks stored in your truck or where the sun can shine on them in the house?  Cracking can be from UV and heat exposure.
no absolutely not stored anywhere with sunlight or extreme temps..again right boot cracked almost all the way around, getting worse with every season and left boot has NO CRACKS. i have friends with same boots up to 10 years old without issue, just wondering if the company changed something and they dont hold up like they used to

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2019, 11:00 AM »
I also wear Arctic Pros and if I needed new boots I would most likely replace them with Arctic Pros. Best boots I’ve ever worn.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2019, 02:42 PM »
I had a pair of Artic mucks wore them a lot, toe cracked out like the others and started to leak, sealed them up. Finally came apart. I thought it was from kicking holes open all the time but sunlight could have been a factor. Purchased a pair of Stikers this year wish I had gone with the mucks again. The stikers were about 80$ cheaper. One cold morning around -5 feet started to get cold and never warmed up, never had that happen with mucks. Other than that they fit good and walk ok. Been wearing since Nov.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2019, 09:28 AM »
no absolutely not stored anywhere with sunlight or extreme temps..again right boot cracked almost all the way around, getting worse with every season and left boot has NO CRACKS. i have friends with same boots up to 10 years old without issue, just wondering if the company changed something and they dont hold up like they used to

Sounds like a material or manufacturing issue then - unless gas got on just the one boot.  Would guess that it was a fluke or Muck would getting ripped on the boards. If you buy another pair try flexing and feeling the boots to see if the material feels the same on both boots.  If one is noticeably stiffer than the other, or both are unusually stiff they should probably be returned.

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2019, 10:13 AM »
I have 3 pair of Muck Hoisier's. Never had a problem with any of them. Besides the tread wears off them. Due for a new pair.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2019, 10:54 AM »
3yrs no issues on my Mucks. Wiped clean and stored in a cool dry closet during the offseason.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2019, 11:06 AM »
Rubber boots only last so long.  :-\
Look into Baffan boots..
I have big fat feet and i  wear  my Baffins without socks. 
Been through 2 pairs of Artic Pros. Good for hunting if your walking but not good for sitting on the ice.. Love the fact of slipping them on but not fun to get off..
My Baffins are 20 years old. Im ready to up grade to there new modles there so much lighter.   
And dont ever wear your boots on the way to the lake,put them on when you get there..   ;)   JMO..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2019, 02:18 PM »
Rubber boots only last so long.  :-\
Look into Baffan boots..
I have big fat feet and i  wear  my Baffins without socks. 
Been through 2 pairs of Artic Pros. Good for hunting if your walking but not good for sitting on the ice.. Love the fact of slipping them on but not fun to get off..
My Baffins are 20 years old. Im ready to up grade to there new modles there so much lighter.   
And dont ever wear your boots on the way to the lake,put them on when you get there..   ;)   JMO..
I dont have an issue with getting cold feet or sweating. my only concern was the craftsmanship on them, but if i really think about how much use i gave them in last 5 years, i think i did ok. Just ordered another set of mucks, found them for 99 somehow...no brainer
I couldnt deal with the titans, I am sure they are super warm and very comfortable but it move too much to have those moon boots on all day

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2019, 03:08 PM »
Good deal..   ;)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2019, 05:51 PM »
I had the sports, then the pros, and now the arctic ice.  All were very good to me.  Fastest way to ruin them is use them outside of ice season.   I was using a pair to launch my boat...those got hosed quickly.  Same issues you had Matt.  The arctic ice have held up well last season and so far so good this season.

Offline ifc202

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2019, 05:21 AM »
I'll put in another vote for Muck. Best boots I've ever owned for keeping my feet warm.

Offline guardbr8kr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2019, 06:37 AM »
Take a look at the Baffin Ice Bears... Best ice fishing boot out there imo. Had mine for 5 years and still in new condition.

Offline Shife

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2019, 07:43 AM »
I picked up a pair of LaCrosse Aero Insulator boots this year and I've been really impressed with them. I'd previously been using a pair of insulated goretex hiking boots and needed something a bit warmer. I bought them at the Northwoods store in Pinconning and didn't see the Striker or Clam boots. I did try on the Muck Arctic Ice, Artic Pro, Artic Sport, some Dryshod models, some pac boots, and the Aero Insulator seemed to fit me the best. No complaints so far. My previous pair of insulated rubber boots was an old Kamik pair from the '90s, and these are a whole different world. Most of my family has the Muck Pros and they've been happy with them as well.

Offline VenomInjected

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2019, 08:59 PM »
3 active season on my mucks... I was a cold feet problem guy.... No longer..  Muck Arctic Pro +1 again

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2019, 06:41 AM »
If you use mucks on a 4 wheeler your, well at least my right boot hangs up on the brake pedal and looks like this.. :-\

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2019, 07:45 AM »
Another Muck vote here...
I wear the artic pros 90 % of the time on the ice. I have had them since they introduced them.
It's time for a new pair. But in the mean time, I have a pair of Neo Navigators that I'm wearing over my mucks. My feet are dry and very warm.
Not quite as bulky as my Cabelas packs.   :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.