Author Topic: New hard water member...rookie questions???  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Waleygator

• IceShanty Rookie
New hard water member...rookie questions???
« on: Dec 08, 2006, 10:32 AM »
Morning...

Going to get acquainted with hard water fishing, hopefully soon.  Looking for ideas on ice fishing spots in SE Nebraska.  I'm living in Weeping Water, 35 miles south of Omaha and 35 east of Lincoln.

What type of jigs do you recommend?  Any other suggestions/comments are very welcome.  Normally long pole fish only, mainly for cats.

Thanks in advance...Waleygator

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: New hard water member...rookie questions???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2006, 11:06 AM »
Thats some pretty hilly country down there isnt it?  I would think your area would be loaded with farm ponds full of bass gill and crappies.  Ask around and find a farm pond with some fish in it.  State record crappie came from a pond around Neb. City if I remember right.  Tear drop jigs in a few dif colors are always a good place to start.  Throw in a few like the Genz worm that can be fished horizontally.  dont shy away from a simple plain hook and a split shot under a bobber.  Thats how i caught the fish in my avator pic ;D.  Good Luck and be safe!

Do you fish cats on the Missouri?  Been a while since ive done that

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline Waleygator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2006, 11:12 AM »
Thats some pretty hilly country down there isnt it?  I would think your area would be loaded with farm ponds full of bass gill and crappies.  Ask around and find a farm pond with some fish in it.  State record crappie came from a pond around Neb. City if I remember right.  Tear drop jigs in a few dif colors are always a good place to start.  Throw in a few like the Genz worm that can be fished horizontally.  dont shy away from a simple plain hook and a split shot under a bobber.  Thats how i caught the fish in my avator pic ;D.  Good Luck and be safe!

Do you fish cats on the Missouri?  Been a while since ive done that

Thanks for the advice on the jigs, will use my "cabella points" and pick some up soon.  Yes, we fish on the Missouri some, mainly lakes around the general area.  Rivers (Missouri and Platte) weren't that productive for us this year, really low.  Heard the Elkhorn was great though.  Sounds like the mild weather will get rid of all the accumulated ice around here for now.  Planning a trip to Waubay Lake in SD over Superbowl weekend, wish us luck!

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2006, 11:46 AM »
Good Luck at Waubey.  That sound really fun.  With the winters we seem to be having your gonna have to drive a little north to find safe ice.

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline Waleygator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2006, 12:34 PM »
Good Luck at Waubey.  That sound really fun.  With the winters we seem to be having your gonna have to drive a little north to find safe ice.

True, reckon that's why we left North Dakota after 8 years, wanted a milder winter, now paying for it since I want to ice fish!  It'll happen.  Have ice "stuff" on my Christmas wish list...

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2006, 01:58 PM »
Sweet...you're going to love it.  NE is different than a lot states insofar as a lot of man made stuff with a lot of structure.  Different from glacial lakes that have a little more subtle structure.  Here's what I do when I first fish a place:

1.) Don't be a hero.  Look for old holes people have drilled and trees and stuff...they can harbor some thin ice so approach with caution year round.  But the trees wick heat and seem to attract gills and pannies.

2.) Utilize the lines per angler!  (5 lines with 2 hooks per line allowed)  Set tip ups, change up depths fished, baits, etc.  I use even dead smelt for pike and they sometimes outfish live redtails.  Small jigs, waxies, belgium crawlers (hard to find).  Key is...don't get set on what you think will get them to bite.  MOVE.  I've drilled 60-70 holes in a day with a hand auger when it's thin ice.  It's not like your not fishing when you have tip-ups working for you while your drilling.  Take a nice soft jiggin rod with a small jig after you set 4 tip ups and move around A LOT.

3.) If you don't have a vexilar or like a hand held depth finder...anything... you are going to have less success...nothing worse than wasting time in thick ice drilling holes to find out there is 3' of water under you.  Buy that first.  Power auger second.  I have both but I bought a hand-held shoot through the ice depth finder ($99) and you can find all sorts of reefs, rock piles, etc.

4.) Patience and perseverance.  Don't flip out and get dejected when you get skunked (it's going to happen bro).  Find a nice pannie pond for those days and use it as a plan-B.  Pulling a couple gills or crappies through a hole can do wonders at 3PM after 9 hours of nothing.  I used to be a "big fish" pursuer.  All chubs, gaffs, clubs, helmets, shoulder pads...LOL.  After a weekend watching tipups with 7" chubs never tip up...I learned my lesson.  Pulling up to the bait shop and looking at pails of perch makes you feel pretty stupid and stubborn.

5.) Find a buddy to fish with.  I'll fish alone, but I seem to have more patience and stay longer when I'm fishing with someone.  And it's fun to make a little competition out of it. ;-)

Hope you have some early success...
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.