Author Topic: SO WHO'S DRILLIN HOLES THIS WEEKEND????  (Read 1620 times)

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
SO WHO'S DRILLIN HOLES THIS WEEKEND????
« on: Dec 07, 2006, 12:38 PM »
I'm almost 100% there is good ice on some of the smaller lakes up here near Norfolk and north.  Anyone else going to try it??  I've got a small lake up here that has a good population of pannies, some northern, but HUGE walleyes.  Not sure why, but the only walleyes I have ever caught or heard caught are around the25"- 28" range.  Obviously, this isn't a consistent bite.  LOL.  But a guy who puts his time in will be rewarded at some point.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: SO WHO'S DRILLIN HOLES THIS WEEKEND????
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2006, 12:54 PM »
I want to try it but were suppsed to get some warmer weather adn lots of wind thext few days so I dont know what its gonna do to the ice.  Sounds like a  good deal to have a place with those kinda eyes.  Hope ya hook one up.

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2006, 01:13 PM »
I am sure hoping so.  Have a pond (relatives) up around Ponca which I am sure would have enough ice, but as a rule my first time or two out I don't fish alone.  Not sure anywhere around Omaha will be thick enough, maybe Sat morning but not as the day goes on.  Any reports of ice thickness in the northeast part of the state?

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2006, 01:22 PM »
yeah...just a matter of putting in the time...the fact that you know they are in there i such a small body of water at least keeps you hopeful.   I like to pull pannies and trout through the ice...but knowing that you could be looking at a 8-9 fish through the ice on a lake you could hit a golf ball over is pretty cool.  And that lake is sunken in some hills...so its kind of protected from sun  and wind.  Gets shady and cold on that lake around 4.  Best part - Whole this is surround with awesome CRP land so if you can't get fins....feathers are an option.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
to adammd
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2006, 01:31 PM »
You should have plenty of ice man.  Specially on a small pond...only worries would be feeder creeks or springs up in that area.  Lots of good ponds around there.  I fish a few around the Martinsburg area and have been waiting for the new Powder Creek Res to get established.  Should be good.  But I think if you took a spud bar, used some caution, and paid attention I wouldn't have many worries.  But I've gone through a couple times this time of year so people normally don't beg to go with me the first time out.

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2006, 03:59 PM »
Yeah, I will probably try and get up there.  The only problem is getting up early and getting on the road.  Probably 2 hours from Omaha, so ideally I will have my #@*% together the night before.  I keep looking at the weather hoping it will change, forecast is for 50 now on Sat, not good. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.