Author Topic: Anyone else ready for hard water?  (Read 15172 times)

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Anyone else ready for hard water?
« on: Sep 26, 2006, 11:57 AM »
Man am I ready for the water to get hard.  I only got out the long poles about 5 times this summer and Im ready to get out and walk on water.  Temps got down to 27 degrees here last week, had to cover my tomatos.  A pesky deer ate them off a couple times and are just now making red tomatos.  Would give them all up to go ice fishing though.  Went to take pics of everything out at Merrit while the water was low in the hopes it will help me find good fishin holes this winter,  Lakes coming up though and should have done it a couple weeks ago when I was out, there was more to see then.  Well, heres hoping for cold temps and SAFE hard water to all this winter.    GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline fred baumann

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Anyone else ready for hard water?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2006, 05:40 PM »

READY ? READY YOU SAY?
 gosh i've been waiting nearly two years, now. we didn't have SAFE ice last winter. unless you want to call cautiously creeping a mere 10 yards off the end of the boat dock for one hour last december, "ice fishing".  have four new rods + a box of ice jigs collecting dust in the bottom of my "GUIDE".
 so . . . . here's hoping that we all get so SICK & TIRED of ice fishing this winter that we actually look forward to open water again.
fred baumann

Offline hawgerdawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2006, 09:53 PM »
I think the fact that we are looking at this site in September answers your question. Yes, we're ready!

Sure is nice to see some other Nebraskans on here!

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." --Unknown

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2006, 10:30 AM »
Im glad this site is here, so I can communicate w/ other ice nuts.  Hate going through these cravings all alone.   ;)  Man thats too bad you only got out once on account of thin ice Fred.  We had pretty good ice up here but like many last winter all over the country,  our season was cut short as well.  Thank God for the little ponds we have up here on the "Rez"  we got some more late season fishing in when all the other water was wide open.  Some reason theres two or three down in the canyons that dont like to open up   ;D  Great panfishin with some pike thrown in,  Well heres to waitin and wantin!!!

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2006, 11:24 AM »
In some ways I am  :) addition to the shack  done 1st painting done! insulation almost done wireing almost done   need to add 1 window  alas   (Have all the materials too!)  just work on trailer to get the shack there,  slowing me up major   :o  prob end up having to borrow a trailer again this year.  I gotta nice cardolly to trade for snowmobile trailer   lol
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline R.J.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It must be that time again!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2006, 11:18 PM »
I am so totally ready for ice fishing!  I come to Neb several times every winter from CO to ice fish.  Anybody want to get together and fish, let me know!

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2006, 11:36 PM »
as soon as the ice leaves in Late March I am already thinking about next years icefishing season. SUmmer time is just  time off from fishing to let the fishies grow nice and fat for the following ice season :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #7 on: Oct 14, 2006, 06:47 PM »
Nice to see the Nebraska members starting to wind up too !
I myself used to be from there and boy do I miss Valentine refuge lakes !
Used to hit Sherman Dam a lot too but only because it was close to where I lived .
Merrit and Box Bute resivoir were my favorites for the bigger lakes and Twin lakes by Pleasant Dale along with Bassway Strip by Kearney were my small lake favorites .
The refuge lakes in Valentine were my all time favorites though .
If any of you are close to Kearney look up hookemandkookem I'm sure if he is able to get away he'll go with ya .
Good luck to all this hard water season and safe ice to all !!!

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2006, 08:04 PM »
Can't wait for hard water!!!!!!! Bought an ATV. Built a sled for behind it. Bought a new power auger, Dick's end-of-season last May. More new Tip-Ups. Portable shanty. New heaters and found a nice old single burner Coleman type stove. New ice cleats to keep off the ice *ss first. Heck I even built a shed for the ATV. Wife has the garage for her car. Who wants to tackle that after the stuff I was able to get. Now all I need is HARD WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Kim      :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :woot: :woot: :woot: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline hookemandcookem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Work: that annoying time between fishing trips!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2006, 10:32 PM »
Hello all.....its great to see other Nebraska members on here. All of last year it seemed I was the only one on here.
Anyone planning a trip this winter, let me know and we can hook up.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #10 on: Oct 14, 2006, 11:13 PM »
Come on HUSKERS ...I know there's more of you out there !
Sandbilly will be on soon and he'll help you guy's in north central Nebraska .
He's a good guy and I'm sure he will be willing to share what he can .

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 16, 2006, 11:20 AM »
Man its so great to see everyone on here waitin for first ice!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
   Hey 1TIGGER  I dont think wound up accurately describes it.  Im so wound up I might not be able to untie myself .  I think most of my gear is somewhat still in place, only I did get a bucket poles and assorted gear on a garage sale this summer that I havnt got around too yet and I want to restring them yet.  Also I better fire up the auger just to make sure.  And there will be the last minute jig purchases Im sure Ill make on the way out of town  and and and   AND WHERES THE D**N ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline fishincrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The meaning of life is fishing with your friends.
« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 2006, 11:21 AM »
I've been ready since june ;D
All I need is ice and the fish will come.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 17, 2006, 10:25 AM »
Talked to a buddy of mine last night and he thought if we slid some planks ans a sheet of plywood out there we might be able to drill some holes.

He also declined to tag along to be the first one out on it :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline jaymzthefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 17, 2006, 10:11 PM »
Hey RJ

you know I will always be ready to hook up with you to walk on the hard stuff!!! supposed to get in the teens here tonight.

Jaymz

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 18, 2006, 03:44 PM »
as soon as the golf season is pretty much over with here in NY, i'm waiting....i got the fever now.. :tipup: :tipup:

Offline walleye4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice, BABY!!!!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 25, 2006, 12:49 AM »
I'm HEREEEEEEEEEE!

Long time NO see! :D

Hope we see some ice this winter.  Only made it out 2 times last season.  Will have the new shanty ready, some new rods made, and the auger gased up. 

OH NO, I have Jig-a-nitis!  Very deadly disease!!!

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 25, 2006, 11:11 AM »
hey Walleye4    I think Ive got jig-n-itis too    But is it really deadly to humans?  Or is it just really really CATCHY? ;)

Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline frozen1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I got a fever and the only cure is more ice fishn!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 02, 2006, 11:40 AM »
I am ready!!!

I have never ice fished Elwood before, but I sure am going to give it a try this year!

Greg, If the ice gets safe in KS - are you ready?

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #19 on: Nov 02, 2006, 10:35 PM »
You should give Twin Lakes by Pleasant Dale a try !
They produce some nice fish . Not to mention they are way overlooked and get very little ice fishing pressure .
Used to fish there a lot when I lived in the CORNHUSKER state !

GO  HUSKERS !!!

Offline IcePro

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Have Fish House Will Travel"
« Reply #20 on: Nov 02, 2006, 10:46 PM »
I am ready....

I had the lawn service blow out my sprinkler system and the back flow valve was froze.

Checked the garden pond and it was frozen over.  I guess it is time to put the heater in the pond to keep the gold fish alive.

The travel trailer is being winterized this weekend and put into storeage so my wheeled fish house can be brought home.  (This will be my dog house until I can pull it onto the lake)

The earliest I have been out Ice Fishing is the second weekend in November, the time is near.

It must be ICE FISHING SEASON, my wife has increased my "Life Insurance Policy"

Offline hawgerdawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 03, 2006, 10:17 AM »
My wife finally chewed my butt yesterday for cheering on the cold temps. We got down to 7 F in Chadron. After seeing the temp on the Weather Channel, I let out a couple whoops and hollers. It didn't take her long to say, "If I have to listen to this crap between now and December 31st, I'm going to kick your @ss."

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." --Unknown

Offline jigbounce

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got any biscuits for sale in there?
« Reply #22 on: Nov 03, 2006, 12:54 PM »
Woweee wow wow!!  I can't believe this many people on the Nebraska forum already this year!  I just hope we have a stedy cold season this time.  Last year came on strong then the weather went south,  er should I say the south weather came here until the end of the season. 
   Hawgerdawger that's funny.  I can just imagine the look on your wifes face :( when you started cheering :o lol.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 04, 2006, 10:32 AM »
Yippee for those cold  cold mornings ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D   got down to 5 degrees here  in Valentine this last week and almost as cold a few other mornings as well.  Makes me want to try a hand auger and a couple jig poles down ina couple canyon ponds.  But I think its supposed to warm up here again this next week :'(     Man I just dont know how much more of this waitin I can take

Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline hookemandcookem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Work: that annoying time between fishing trips!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 06, 2006, 12:24 AM »
WOW!!! 5 Degrees?! PLEASE let me know when you have enough to safely fish. I havent gone Ice fishin for at least 4 years and I have an itch I have to scratch this year.

Yippee for those cold  cold mornings ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D   got down to 5 degrees here  in Valentine this last week and almost as cold a few other mornings as well.  Makes me want to try a hand auger and a couple jig poles down ina couple canyon ponds.  But I think its supposed to warm up here again this next week :'(     Man I just dont know how much more of this waitin I can take

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 06, 2006, 01:54 AM »
I am VERY ready for hard water.  Had my auger tuned up in early October.  Finished the modifications to my shanty at the end of August.  Now I'm getting the tip ups ready and picking up some odds and ends for the tackle.  ;D  :tipup:
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline walleye4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice, BABY!!!!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: Nov 06, 2006, 10:36 AM »
I'm ready Chad!  Bring on the ice.............And yes, if KS gets some hard stuff, I"LL BE THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tipup:

OH NO, I have Jig-a-nitis!  Very deadly disease!!!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #27 on: Nov 06, 2006, 10:51 AM »
Do flies circle the poop pile :wacko:

I'm on this afternoon ;D

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 06, 2006, 01:19 PM »
Man Im glad your gettin on this afternoon.  PLEEEEEEAAAAASE give us a report as all we can do is live vicariously through you.  Want to hear a good story and maybe some pics please.     

Wont be long and we will be walkin on it to.   Nighttime temps to be down in the teens next week.  But i know weve got some time to wait.  Guess ill go shoot some pheasants in the meantime.

Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #29 on: Nov 07, 2006, 12:25 AM »
Snow was too deep to drive down too. I drove by it but stopped on the highway and took a pic. I didn't have enough time to fish anyway. Just wanted some pictures for you guys.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.