Author Topic: Any fishable ice in Nebraska?  (Read 2926 times)

Offline jigbounce

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got any biscuits for sale in there?
Any fishable ice in Nebraska?
« on: Jan 05, 2006, 11:23 AM »
Was wondering if anybody is fishing anywhere in Nebraska, particularly Merritt

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
Re: Any fishable ice in Nebraska?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2006, 11:47 AM »
JIGBOUNCE
Not from there any more but I spoke with my son in Kearney last night and he says the refuge lakes in Valentine have plenty of ice ! I fish new york now but used to live in Kearney and hit a lot of the interstate lakes when the bigger ones didnt have safe ice . Contact the local g&p office and they can tell you where there is ice . Check Sherman dam theres usually ice there too when it gets this warm . Good luck and let us know how you do !

Offline jigbounce

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got any biscuits for sale in there?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2006, 01:54 PM »
1Tigger,
I called game and parks & they said people are falling through on the edges and an ATV fell in at Merritt.  It has barley been getting below freezing here at night the past couple of weeks & the long range forecast doesn't look to be good for ice fishing, though I just can't accept that we won't have any more extremely cold weather this winter in Nebraska.  Anyways enjoy the ice in NY while you have it & good fishing too you.

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2006, 11:18 PM »
Merritt still has some safe ice on the upper part of the Boardman. It's pulled off the bank 3-4' but there is still 6" of ice most places. There are areas that are unsafe around trees and where several holes were cut in a small area. The bite has been slow. Not worth the risk IMO.

Don't know about the refuge lakes but some sandhill lakes in the area have ice you can get on first thing in the morning however its a wet walk back by noon or earlier if the wind picks up.

We fished Davis Creek and some sand pits around Ord and Burwell over New Years. Davis Creek had 6-9" and the pits had over 12". Still should be safe ice thru that snow belt on the small bodies of water.

1Tigger, where in NY do you fish?

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2006, 07:06 AM »
Sandbilly .
Around thr rochester area . tributaries of lake ontario  like braddocks bay some area lakes like conesus , silver lake and a lot or small local lakes too . Used to know a kid from Mullen john something .
he dated a girl my ex knew and he was going to a christian school in central city . Wish i could remember his last name but that was about 20 years ago . He drove a 65 ford pickup that had stacks on it for a while .At that time i liked in ST. PAUL and he stayed with me for a while . Cant remember for sure how far it would be for you but I hear box butte res has good ice  ... over by Alliance  and brideport pits too .
 GOOD LUCK & LET US KNOW HOW YOU DO .

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2006, 08:40 AM »
1TIGGER,

The only family I can think of that sent their kids to school there were the Wolfenden's. You would remember John Wolfenden, nick name Wild Man which he had painted on a semi that he drove until the many DU-Is caught up with him.

My brother in-law and I fished the Ice Team tourney on Silver last year. The people we met were great and it's a fun lake to fish. Wanted to get over to Honeoye but didn't have the time before our flight back. If you had to move from Ne and like ice fishing, you picked a good place to relocate.

There is still ice here and there but where I walk on the ice and where others do won't be the same. Therefore I'm not advocating people drive several hours for a potential cold bath or worse on my word.

Taking my 4 boys to find ice somewhere this Sun.

Spank one of those large eyes that cruise the shallows of Silver for me.
SB.

Offline lopers125

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It doesn't get any better then this!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2006, 10:06 AM »
I have seen some guys on the I-80 lakes and have been by Cottonmill in Kearney this past week. However I am still uncertain about the thickness of them (especially on the west ends) and I am not sure that I would trust them. I know that before the warm up icefishing around Kearney was going well with quite a few bluegill coming out of cottonmill and a few out of the I-80 lakes.
"Once you have wrestled everything else in life is EASY" -Dan Gable

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2006, 10:20 AM »
Lopers
Try Bassway strip theres usually ice there !
Iknow I used to catch some good fish there . It's a good summertime cat lake too ! My son and I used to fish it a lot and dont ever remember being skunked there .
Sounds as if you are a student there so if you dont know where it is it's a couple of miles east of kearney but westof the Ravenna highway going south to I-80 just across the bridge .
My kid is looking for an ice fishing partner so if you need one C_ [email protected] Hook up with him he knows some good places but he's a little green at ice fishing . he has all the gear but needs to put some time in on the ice . I'll tell him to look for your e-mail . He lives out by walmart on hilltop .
Good luck and SAFE ICE !

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2006, 10:30 AM »
SANDBILLY
What a small world ! It is that crazy S.O.B. Wolfman that I was talking about !
He lived with me in St. Paul while he was in school . The people he was staying with kind of threw him out when they found out he was boning their daughter Cheryl .
The DWI thing dont suprise me he could drink .
So are you going to make the silver lake derby this year ?
If you need a place to stay I have room so you wont have to get a hotel room and youre welcome to stay .
Does John ice fish? As I recall he used to trout fish in the summer .
He may not have time for such trivial things like fishing ... he's too worried about how to get his truck to go faster . although i must admit that old 65  ford he had was pretty quick ... stacks and all

Offline hookemandcookem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Work: that annoying time between fishing trips!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2006, 09:45 PM »
1Tigger and lopers125,
     Well first of all hello dad (1tigger) I had taken your advice and got on the webiste and checked signed up and checked a few things out and was delighted to find such a website that has this much information on it as well as a chat and forum posting abilities. Thanks DAD !
    Lopers125...my dad had informed me that he had talked to you through this webiste and that you live here in kearney. He told me that you are looking for a fishing partner. Well i think you have found a good one right here with me. I know of more fishing spots than you can shake a stick at, most of which I have good success at. If you are ever in wal-mart come back to automotive and give me a shout. I would love to hear from you and hope we can hook up and go fishing. Fell free to contact me any time: [email protected]

Offline lopers125

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It doesn't get any better then this!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2006, 04:54 PM »
Yeah I actually just finished up my wrestling career here at UNK and have started to icefish with my new found free time during the winter months. I have done quite a bit of fishing the I80 lakes and other around here with good luck on largemouth bass. However I am just starting to icefishing.  If you here of some good ice or if it gets cold again we will have to meet up on the ice sometime. I have the bare essential for ice fishing and have found that I enjoy ever since I caught a 12" crappie at cottonmill and had another fish break my line out there too. I would really like to get my tipups and try and get a few northern through the ice out there. I caught a nice northern out there is summer but can imagine trying to pull one through the ice. Its good to know that there are other guys in there early 20's spending time on the fishing around here and not just me. Right now I am working as a graduate assistant in the Human Performance Lab at UNK, and school starts back up Monday so I am not sure about my fishing schedule probably going to have to slow up some. I'll let you know if I head out fishing one of these days.

Bryce

It doesn't get any better then being out fishing!
"Once you have wrestled everything else in life is EASY" -Dan Gable

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2006, 09:21 AM »
1TIGGER,
That would be John. I haven't hear much of him over the last 5 years or so. Think he lives somewhere around your old stomping grounds. The local law ask him to relocate or else. Both sisters are running the ranch. 
I'm sure he fished the North Loup which ran through their place but doubt if ice fishing was his forte.

We are not going to Silver this year but really appreciate your offer. Last year was one of those "just for the he!! of it" things. We had a great time and met a lot of nice people but I'm not ready to trade the panfish out of these Sandhill lakes for anything we've come across yet.

The oldest of our 4 sons is wrestling this year so that takes care of most far away ice time. The first of many years getting to knowing area gyms, football fields, and tracks.

If you get this way look us up. We ranch N of Mullen and have a winery in Crawford so summers are very busy, but I can get away in the winter with a little notice.

Don

Offline bottleslinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2006, 01:51 PM »
How's the ice in the ponds near Ft. Rob?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.