Author Topic: praire view  (Read 2109 times)

Offline ehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
praire view
« on: Jan 22, 2009, 10:04 AM »
fished pv for the first time yesterday, gotta say i liked it not too far to walk and i caught fish. caught a couple decent bass, 2 tiny crappie, and lost track of how many gills once i figured they weren't trout and i had to come off the bottom.  thinking about pulling my hummingbird off my boat and trying out on the ice. cant afford a vex right now

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: praire view
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2009, 11:55 AM »
Kind of depends where you are out there.  I have sat and pulled gills off the bottom one after another where you don't need a vex (mostly in shallower water on the non-treed side).  But have also fished deeper water where they are trading back and forth and you pull all of them mid range. 

For sure though out there you can pattern them.  Find one, and find a ton. 

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2009, 09:44 AM »
thinking about pulling my hummingbird off my boat and trying out on the ice. cant afford a vex right now
I use my old Eagle SuperProID off my boat for the ice ehunter, works great. Bought a little Zues 12 volt from Bass Pro and mounted the whole thing in an old tackle box. The Zues battery comes with it's own charger for $28. Bought a new Hummingbird for the boat.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline ehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2009, 11:41 AM »
how did you mount the transducer

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2009, 03:47 PM »
I just suspend it through the hole by the cable and alligator clip the cable to the side of the tackle box so the ducer hangs just below the bottom of the ice.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline jigbounce

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got any biscuits for sale in there?
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2009, 04:41 PM »
how did you mount the transducer

if the transducer has a bracket thats attached to it (part that you would attach to the transom of the boat) i have found you can install an " I " bolt  into the center of that bracket and run the chord thru that i bolt.  Then by screwing that eye bolt in or out you can adjust it to hang perfectly horizontal and it works amazingly well.

Let me know if you can understand that discription if not i could take a pic of mine and post it, if you are intrested.

Offline Outdoor_Joe_26

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2009, 10:19 PM »
Can it read the depth accurately through the ice or do you have to drill a hole and put it in the water first? 
God is Great, Beer is Good, and People are Crazy!<br /><br />[IMG]

Offline jigbounce

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got any biscuits for sale in there?
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2009, 05:10 AM »
if there is clear ice (no air in it ) all fish finders ive ever used have read right through the ice with a little squirt of water on top

Offline Outdoor_Joe_26

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2009, 01:36 PM »
Was anybody from here out there this morning?  I was tucked under some braches in my gray ice house all by my lonesome..LOL  The party seemed to be in the middle.  I plan to go back tomorrow morning.  Wish the weather was nicer, having to de-ice your hole every two minutes get a little old fast! 

Offline ehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2009, 12:31 PM »
was out there for about 45min friday afternoon caught two tiny gills. too windy stood up and almost lost my bucket. maybe try tomorrow if it dosen't snow trying to set up my humminbird to work on ice

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2009, 02:08 PM »
Was anybody from here out there this morning?  I was tucked under some braches in my gray ice house all by my lonesome..LOL 

I was out there Sat AM.  Was basically straight out from the boat ramp, first group of trees.  There were 3-4 guys fishing outside near me, was in the shappell.  Didn't notice your hut, but there were plenty of huts out there.  Bass are fun, but too many dink gills in that lake. 

Offline Outdoor_Joe_26

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2009, 07:54 PM »
I was out there Sat AM.  Was basically straight out from the boat ramp, first group of trees.  There were 3-4 guys fishing outside near me, was in the shappell.  Didn't notice your hut, but there were plenty of huts out there.  Bass are fun, but too many dink gills in that lake. 

I thought that was your hut by the catfish picture you posted but wasn't sure, and I was too cold to be social (heater wouldn't light).  I was 60 yards South of you guys under the last tree in the middle.  No bass, but the regular dink bluegills.  I did somehow manage to pull a 6' fishing rod with zebco style reel through the hole.  The minnow had wrapped himself around it a few times, making me think I had on a nice fish.  If anybody wants a "project" let me know and you can have the rod.  It has a nice coat of muck.   :D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.