The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Tip up storage/transport  (Read 4417 times)

Offline EmTee

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip up storage/transport
« on: Dec 28, 2018, 07:43 PM »
One thing that frustrates me about ice fishing is not having a great system for storing my tip ups.  Currently I use a 5 gallon bucket, but they get caught up on each other and the bucket tips over too.  Unfortunately I have 5 different kinds of tip ups so that makes it even more difficult.  Does anyone have any creative ideas?

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
Re: Tip up storage/transport
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2018, 09:59 PM »
I keep mine in a canvas duffle bag.  It makes them easy to bring out and dry at the end of a day.  To keep the lines from tangling, I bought some velcro on a roll from Amazon and a grommet kit, and made some 6 inch sections.  I put the hook through the grommet and then I wrap it around the spool.  This way I don't have to stick the hook in my line.   

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2018, 06:18 AM »
I like my pack basket for carrying tip-ups.

Offline schmidtxc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2018, 07:25 AM »
I've switched to round tip ups this winter (I had a few and loved them last year), but with my old ones I just couldn't find a great way to transport them. The one thing I did do that worked well was to glue a small piece of styrofoam to all of them to store the hook. That helped with the tangles a little. That said, they still wound up taking some effort to separate basically every time I went out.

Probably too late to do anything about it now, but if you scour eBay in the summer, you'll find the round insulated ones super cheap. I got mine for roughly 5.50 each after the shipping.

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2018, 07:56 AM »
I put mine in a milk crate. Then when you get home you can bring them in thaw them out in bath tub and right back in the sled they go in the morning. It also allows me some extra room for a small box of hooks pliers scale etc. keeps everything in one place

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2018, 08:08 AM »
The round insulated ones usually fit in a 5 gallon bucket. I use all rail tip ups and store them in a toolbox.

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2018, 09:56 AM »

;D Always used pack basket :tipup:
Dick

Offline EmTee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2018, 07:55 PM »
Thanks guys!  I like the milk crate idea and the duffle bag too.  I had one of the old wicker baskets that I inherited from my dad, but they still got tangled on each other.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2018, 11:50 PM »
What about some thing like this??  Seen a saw blade storage rack that would be similar for round thermal tip ups??  If not could make it work.. by the way found the picture on puntrest..

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2018, 05:03 PM »
6 gallon plastic bucket.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2018, 06:25 PM »
Can fit 5 Ht Polar tip ups in a 5 gallon bucket. The spool and flags fold down into tip up, so I keep them fully rigged and ready to fish.

Carrying 8 of them in the buckets (4 each) in pic.

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2018, 08:21 AM »
X 2 on the pack basket, have been using one for 30+ years.

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2018, 08:41 AM »
I use a Ready-Rig bag.  I originally bought it before I had a sled and was packing everything.  Now, I have a sled but I still keep the tilts in the long bag section.  It has three internal dividers that help keep everything somewhat straight.  Also having reel wraps or something similar to keep the line and hooks contained is a must to prevent tangles.
-Matt

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2018, 09:44 AM »
I cut the bottom out of a stolen milk crate and then glued/screwed it to another stolen milk crate - essentially a double milk crate.  Added some dividers on the inside for tip-ups and some PVC jig rod holders to the outside.  Then I put one of those strap on bucket organizers around the whole thing.  It is a pretty cool set up.

Offline EmTee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2018, 08:03 PM »
I cut the bottom out of a stolen milk crate and then glued/screwed it to another stolen milk crate - essentially a double milk crate.  Added some dividers on the inside for tip-ups and some PVC jig rod holders to the outside.  Then I put one of those strap on bucket organizers around the whole thing.  It is a pretty cool set up.

Love that idea!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2018, 10:40 PM »

Could see the use of a Alice military frame pack with your crate set up.. sounds like a cool idea none the less!!

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/rothco-alice-pack-frame-with-attachments.html?_iv_code=2VK-PP-2275-2255&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxri8kuHL3wIVBdbACh2Q7wzcEAQYDiABEgLmnPD_BwE

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2019, 09:02 AM »
After having buckets of tipups tip over a few times, I now use a mini jet sled just for my tipups and jig rods. I have heritage Lakers and they fit perfectly in the sled with about an inch to spare. A small piece of foam adhesive tape (the kind you'd use to seal a drafty door frame) on the spool helps avoid tangles.
Now all I need is some ice down here in CT! I was able to get out for three days in your great state of VT this week, but I came home yesterday to warm rain and lots of open water.

Offline Mr.Mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2019, 03:40 PM »
Vinyl downspout tube will slide over a folded tip up nicely and keep everything from tangling

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2019, 07:56 AM »
One thing that frustrates me about ice fishing is not having a great system for storing my tip ups.  Currently I use a 5 gallon bucket, but they get caught up on each other and the bucket tips over too.  Unfortunately I have 5 different kinds of tip ups so that makes it even more difficult.  Does anyone have any creative ideas?
Here ya go. Holds 20 with room to spare.

Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2019, 08:01 AM »
Get a plastic tote with a lid. They make them that are long and narrow.. ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2019, 04:29 PM »
I bought the beaver dam bucket brackets. 3 per comes attached but can be separated. Holds cross and flat tip-ups as well as ice rods. rubber straps lock poles in place on top and/or bottom.
     https://www.cabelas.com/product/HARD-SOFT-FISHING-BUCKET-BRACKETS/1905704.uts?productVariantId=3960966&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=BingPLA&WT.z_mc_id1=03974269&rid=20&msclkid=4d640a77e1c8182afcbf564c5b03c1b4&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=CKjoqbjm698CFeONxQIdpOwApg&gclsrc=ds

A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline jmaster69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2019, 03:35 PM »

pvc tube glued together. as clean as it gets and cheap

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2019, 03:49 PM »
I went Redneck with mine. I have 10 Polar tipups in there. I just leave it open by the wood stove with the lid open when I'm done. No dampness problems.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.