The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice Fishing: Where to start?  (Read 1092 times)

Offline qubit

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Fishing: Where to start?
« on: Jan 23, 2015, 12:23 AM »
I've lived in Vermont for a few years and enjoy snowshoeing in the winter, but I've never had an opportunity to try ice fishing. I grew up on the West coast where the lakes don't get cold enough to freeze over.

Is ice fishing as fun as it sounds? Where can I learn more about the sport?

Thanks.

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
Re: Ice Fishing: Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2015, 04:04 AM »
probably the best way to start would be to go out with a guide like Jamie Vladyka or some one like him from your area

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2015, 04:33 AM »
Welcome to the site!

First of all the best thing you could have done to learn about ice fishing is to have found this site. You will find all manner of discussion about fish species, gear, lakes, and basically everything that has anything to do about ice fishing. This site has been for me the single best resource on the subject of ice fishing, and I hope you will also experience similar results.

As far as learning, just keep asking questions. You will often encounter a generous and dynamic group of likeminded fishermen and fisherwomen who are keen on offering recommendations and information.  For starters you might do a search of the lakes in your area, check fishing regulations on possible gear restrictions and whether certain lakes might be closed to ice fishing, then learn what species are present in a particular lake, and finally determine what kind of gear options you might consider to target a particular species.

Browse through the forum. There are sub forums specific for different subjects where you can post your queries or find information.  Lastly the search bar is your friend.  Often you will find that your query has already been asked and you'll find the information you need instantly instead of waiting for people to respond.

And yes ice fishing is fun as hell!  It's great catching fish, but I love just learning about it, and being outside at a time when most would rather be indoors.  Incidentally I believe that ice fishing is the great equalizer:  Unlike open water fishing you don't need a boat and a bunch of other gear; all you need is a rod and a hole and that makes ice fishing available to everyone.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2015, 04:39 AM »
Q, team up with someone who has an auger !

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish now or never !!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2015, 07:11 AM »
Just go to a lake where people are fishing and introduce yourself , most ice fishermen like conversation! Tell them your a shanty member and your on your way to learning how! Good luck!

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2015, 07:19 AM »
I agree that if you walk out to where you see some folks fishing, most would be glad to answer questions and make recommendations.  One thing I discovered is that ice fishing is not cheap!  Most folks will recommend electronics (fish finders), then there is the auger, shelter, and the list goes on.  Then if you really get into it there's the 4 wheeler or snowmobile to be more mobile.  All that being said though, you can start out cheap and ease into it if you find it to your liking.  You can get started without a bit investment.  If you do get started, watch the forecasts--especially how much wind there is.  The wind will drive me off the ice far quicker than cold temperatures.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2015, 07:43 AM »
well, since yer brandy new at this sport, I'll start off with basics.

#1 - ya gotta learn safety. walkin on water is whole new thing for most humans and it can be extremely dangerous. Never, ever go out onto ice that isn't safe just to catch a fish. You need to learn how to check ice and know what good and bad ice looks like. Get a spud, it's just a bar with an edge on it. there are lots of threads about spuds on this site. Get some good ice walkers. Lots to choose from and most will do the trick, but better is better. Kahtoola's are reeeal better! Staying on top of the ice should be an important priority and be on your mind at all times and slipping and falling on ice can be just as bad. headers hurt and the damage can be permanent. I always have a set of hand spikes around my neck. I hope I never need them but I will always have them.

#2 - dress the part. I have been taking a newbie out lately. He dresses ok for cold weather, but not really for icefishing. If he was just shoveling the side walk he'll be ok but standing on top of a foot of ice in the middle of a completely open space needs more attention to details. first off, it needs to be wind resistant, water resistant and layered. I use my cold weather hunting gear at this point. It's a 4 in one parka with bib overalls. Very insulated, very wind proof. underneath I usually will have on a Merino wool sweater and long johns. One of these days I drop the coin and get a floating ice suit. best of both worlds, safety and warmth! My boots are heavy insulated hunting boots that I got a size oversize on purpose. I can wear a set of poly sock liners and wool socks and still have plenty of room. Tight fitting shoes get cold. And get a neck gator. You might not use it all the time, but when you need it, you will be happy you got it.

Those are the best 2 pieces of starter advise I can give ya. Be safe, and be warm. if you do those 2 things, the rest will be a blast!

Offline gofish22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2015, 08:02 AM »
Welcome to the site and the sport. Spider1 is dead on. Dressing correctly is probably my biggest advice. Remember that you are typically not moving as much as you are when you are snowshoeing so you will need to dress warmer. It is absolutely crucial in order to enjoy the sport. It would be best to go with someone who has equipment and then decide. The ice fishing community is full of great people who generally just enjoy being outside, so it sounds like you will fit right in. If you have any questions along the way just ask on here and they will get answered. Good luck out there.

Offline Nthaburgh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2015, 08:26 AM »
Welcome to the site! X2 on what Spider said. Safety 1st, then staying warm.

If you've never spent a day on the ice put on what you think you'll need and add 2 more layers to that. You can always take layers off.

Good luck, the learning is half the fun!
"I've come to know the cold...I think of it as home" -G&R

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2015, 08:32 AM »
This sounds like a great way to learn how to ice fish :

http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/fish_icefishingfestival.cfm

Free clinic, and they will feed you, too!

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2015, 08:47 AM »
I've lived in Vermont for a few years and enjoy snowshoeing in the winter, but I've never had an opportunity to try ice fishing. I grew up on the West coast where the lakes don't get cold enough to freeze over.

Is ice fishing as fun as it sounds? Where can I learn more about the sport?

Thanks.

If you ever need tips or where to go , or how to fish a certain species, Just Pm and I will give any info i can. Love to help my fellow Ice anglers.. Bye the way this is my Favorite way to fish!!!
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline slopoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH ON!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2015, 10:27 AM »

LBD will also tell you, this is a great event for every level of fisherman. They do a great job with the kids also!
its easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission... FISH ON!!!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2015, 04:22 PM »
Just go to a lake where people are fishing and introduce yourself , most ice fishermen like conversation! Tell them your a shanty member and your on your way to learning how! Good luck!

Q, most folks on the ice aren't shanty members but the rest of the post is spot on !  :)

Offline BassInVt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ain't nothing better than fishing!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2015, 04:46 PM »
The one thing i would disagree on, is the investment. You can start cheap probably the cheapest way to fish in vermont or anyweres.  You can pick up a 15 dollar combo at walmart for a rod and reel, a cheap hand augur, and a empty 5 gallon bucket and start fishing. Just go to places were there are other people that are already fishing.  Ive fished vermont and surrounding states for 47 years, and just bought a used flipover shack off ebay a day ago. Never used one till now.  I dont use expensive equipment anymore, yeah a nice combo works better than others, but you can always upgrade when you get better at the ice fishing.  A hand manual augur will get you thru the ice, if your in good health, its good for the arms anyways.  Latter on maybe after a year of using the old school, upgrade to a power augur of somesort.  You dont need to spend tones of money to have some fun and feed the family. good luck and tite lines. By the way, check out craigslist, there is always people selling used equipment
What?? fish are biting, I'm gone

Offline Blackink

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2015, 06:10 PM »

January 31st...Free Ice Fishing Day in Vermont! Don't even need a fishing license on that day.....

You'll get some good starter points there.

Offline qubit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2015, 06:25 PM »
Wow! This board is hopping -- so many great responses!

Just go to a lake where people are fishing and introduce yourself , most ice fishermen like conversation!

Sounds like a great way to start!

#1 - ya gotta learn safety. walkin on water is whole new thing for most humans and it can be extremely dangerous.

Hand spikes, spud, and ice walkers. Got it.

Re: clothing, I definitely expected the wind to be a challenge out on the ice! You have the same thing if you're hiking or climbing: back in the NW on Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helens, you can be down to just 1 layer when heading up, but up at the summit with no movement and that wind, you'll get cold in a snap unless you layer all the way up.

The clinic sounds great -- unfortunately my work's been keeping me super-busy, so it looks like I won't be able to make it that day.

You can pick up a 15 dollar combo at walmart for a rod and reel, a cheap hand augur, and a empty 5 gallon bucket and start fishing....A hand manual augur will get you thru the ice, if your in good health, its good for the arms anyways...By the way, check out craigslist, there is always people selling used equipment

They say that wood heat keeps you warm 3 times (I count at least 6: felling, hauling, splitting, stacking, re-stacking if the pile falls over, burning), so hand-auguring sounds like a good way to get a little exercise and warmth!

Everyone: Thanks for all the great advice!

Offline qubit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2015, 07:01 PM »
One of these days I drop the coin and get a floating ice suit. best of both worlds, safety and warmth!

So how common is it for someone to go through the ice?

Floatation coats remind me of a time I was out on Puget Sound sailing around in a 26' bathtub longboat during the summer, and it would get cold/windy enough that we'd toss on our survival suits. Even having a PFD over a t-shirt would cut the wind and keep-in some warmth.

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2015, 07:45 PM »
Heck ya its FUN. This sight will give you a world of knowledge and great people to fish with.
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline BassInVt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ain't nothing better than fishing!!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2015, 07:49 PM »
just walking on the ice this time of year, not very often. more early spring and late fall when the ice is very thin.  you will hear about vehicles going thru the ice several times a year, this normally is due to inexperience people driving on the ice and they will hit softspots. thats the nice thing about walking on the ice you can normally find the soft spots before you go thru.  and then there is the occasional idiots that are out messing around and not fishing and they will go thru racing on the ice or so on.  I personally have been through the ice twice in my life, once early spring, a lot of snow on the ice and it was hard to find the soft spots, luckily i was only in two feet of water. The other time i was at appletree pushing my fathers ice shanty on the ice with him and my two brothers early spring, too early, but i was very young at the time and didnt no better.  I fell completely thru on the deep side of the bay.  I have frost bite on my toes and fingers because of it. Went thru in over 50 feet of water. still here to tell about it.  being careful is the key
What?? fish are biting, I'm gone

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2015, 08:49 PM »
Go to Mallett's Bay boat launch next Saturday the 31st as it's free ice fishing day so no license needed and from 1-5 they're holding an ice fishing festival where guides will help you with everything and get you on a hole to fish, having fish frys, giveaways etc...

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2015, 09:28 PM »
So how common is it for someone to go through the ice?

Floatation coats remind me of a time I was out on Puget Sound sailing around in a 26' bathtub longboat during the summer, and it would get cold/windy enough that we'd toss on our survival suits. Even having a PFD over a t-shirt would cut the wind and keep-in some warmth.

People rarely go through the ice, and when they do, it's getting on or off of the ice late and early season most of the time when the ice around shore weakens and separates.  Could be solid in the morning, and after a sunny, 60 degree day....it opens right up on shore. 

Most of the posts have you covered, but I can't stress enough that going with someone that knows what they're doing can be a huge help.  Not only for productivity, but also for safety

Offline dave bartlett

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2015, 03:45 AM »
     I have always said,"If you go through the ice it's your own fault".With this being said I went through with my wheeler and my son on the back of it.It was no fun and it will never happen again.After fishing for 48 years it was my first time and last.I weighed 350 lbs then and i had a floatation suit on made by ice armour and i floated until he pulled me out.About one minute.It was my own stupidity that almost could have been a tragic day.We both got out and took over 6 hrs to get my wheeler out thanks to ten of my Buddy's that came to help.There are pictures posted on here from two yrs ago under Chittenden Dam.

Offline drfhaha123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2015, 07:10 AM »
Go to a local derby,you'll get all the info you need.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.