The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Trout and Salmon at Night  (Read 1031 times)

Offline esoxmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Sleep & Breath Pike
Trout and Salmon at Night
« on: Jan 05, 2010, 11:44 PM »
just got off the pond and got skunked. Went out around 730, had ten tilts in with small shiners right under the ice to about 5 feet down, also did some jigging. NOT EVEN A FLAG! Any pointers? I was told the bite should be good at night...
~Matt~

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Trout and Salmon at Night
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2010, 04:53 AM »
Who told you that?  I've always had the trout bite right up until it gets almost dark enough to not be able to see my tip ups, then stop.  I'd imagine salmon are pretty much the same.

Did you try any glow jigs?
"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2010, 07:54 AM »
I've always thought most game fish in this area eat during the day and arent very active during the night. Ofcourse I base that on only work of mouth.

Offline Capt.Dana

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Haverhill, MA.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2010, 11:22 AM »
I have never had a lot of luck ice fishing at night locally. I seem to catch a lot of catfish and eels.
I pratice fillet and release!

Offline esoxmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Sleep & Breath Pike
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2010, 02:12 PM »
yeah, i had my traps right under the ice, i jigged a swedish pimple right under the ice in my lighted shelter, and my buddy jigged a glow in the dark spoon all through the water column. not even a nibble!
~Matt~

Offline MUNICH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Soldier
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2010, 05:28 PM »
If you read info I'm sure youll find many people saying they love night fishing for Browns. Many believe they actually feed a lot more agressively after dark. Not sure about Salmon and other tout though.
J. Cotier

Offline icescoop

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2010, 06:59 PM »
I won't tell u were to go but if you are set up in the dark early in the morning i'm talking like 4 am large shiners anywhere from 1 foot to 6 or 7 feet under the ice for browns i'm talking the bigger ones not the 10 inchers. the key is to have a smelt population where your fishing most smelt aren't small that way you got to trick them with the bigger minnows or even better a smelt (the crown jewel) it's tough fishing that way but it pays off kinda like fishing for that big pike you got to put in your time. P.S. no bites by 8 am you might as well go home or go smaller for some rainbows. Oh fishing 7 feet under in 8 feet of water is not what i'm talking about either. you can find them in shallow water or 100 feet of water use your judgement on what you think under the ice is. you know 8 feet 1or 2 feet is good a 100 feet 1 to 10 feet is good. good luck you'll need it!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.