Author Topic: Rapala Fish n' Fillet Knife?  (Read 2716 times)

Offline [email protected]

• Team IceShanty Regular
Rapala Fish n' Fillet Knife?
« on: Oct 29, 2009, 11:02 AM »
I have heard a lot of good reviews of the Rapala Fish n' Fillet knife.  I just bought one last year before the ice season started and it was really dull all of the time.  Even after stroking it over the sharpener it made no difference.  My neighbor came over (head chief at country club) and he said that the knife was in really bad shape and was one of the worst fillet knifes he's used.  Any one else have these problems or is it only me?  Does any one think I should try to buy one again to see if it was just a defect or should I just cut my loses and go for a different one or a electric one?  Any recommendations if you think I should get a different one?

Offline jkoegel

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Rapala Fish n' Fillet Knife?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2009, 11:05 AM »
I bought 2 rapalas last year. They hold an edge pretty good for me but they are way too stiff for my taste.

Offline peterpike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "you got one pole and one life, use it"
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2009, 11:19 AM »
i do not have that knife but i do have the cordless rapala knife and i love it except for the fact that one battery it came with does not hold a charge and th other does not hold a charge for long. went to check out replacement batteries and at 50 a piece i think ill just manage with the bad ones.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2009, 11:41 AM »
I to went the powered route, never have to worry about sharpening....as the guy in the group who does all the cleaning and cooking it made sense to me to upgrade...I have struggled with many a dull knife in the past and it is not fun.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2009, 11:44 AM »
I have heard that electric knifes are a lot faster but if you are not good with them then you miss a lot of meat.  What do you think?

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2009, 11:50 AM »
not the case for me....I can easily get right down to the skin and clean off the ribs with little to no meat loss. Once you play with them for a bit you get use to the speed and blades and you will be happy.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2009, 11:52 AM »
Alright, If I were going to go with an electric, what is the best one?

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2009, 04:04 PM »
here is the one i use
[urlhttp://www.rapala.com/products/electricknivesdetail.cfm?name=Deluxe%20Electric%20Fillet%20Knife%20Set[/url]

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2009, 04:10 PM »
Is there a cordless model of the same kind?  If so do you know how long the charge will last?  Not a big fan or corded things.  Cords get in the way and you get grounded to an outlet.

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2009, 04:11 PM »
I used the Rapala Fish n Fillet superflex all last winter...one sweet knife and held a edge very well.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline lostfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2009, 04:20 PM »
Regular steel is easier to sharpen than stainless. It's easier to just keep up with a little sharpening as you go along.... I also like a wider blade for filleting, better control than a narrow blade. I'm always the guy who does all the cutting and I wouldn't have it any other way. I don't even let people help me because if we pool the fillets, I'll probably end up with their jagged edged, bony fillets!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2009, 05:09 PM »
yep here is the cordless model

http://www.rapala.com/products/electricknivesdetail.cfm?name=Cordless%20Electric%20Fillet%20Knife

I like the corder model as it can be run off the battery for my vex or aquavu

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2009, 08:22 PM »
I have heard that electric knifes are a lot faster but if you are not good with them then you miss a lot of meat.  What do you think?

I went kicking and screaming to an electric this spring.  My biggest argument is there was no way that I thought I could get as much meat with an electric as I did with my manual process.  Boy was I wrong.  I get a better filet and more meat much quicker than with m old regular Rapala knives.  And it was very easy to catch on to the proper way to use the electric knife.  The only thing I did different is I just cut through the rib cage with the electric, then carve it out of the filet once I'm done.  I used to spend a lot of time fileting around the rib cage with my manual knife. 

-Jeff

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Oct 30, 2009, 04:12 AM »
For the 200th time on this site, I'm gonna tell you to go to Wally World and buy a $14.99 Hamilton Beach electric knife. I really don't know how many years I've been using mine. It works like a charm. Try one .....cheap.....before you spend a bunch of bucks on a name brand, made in china anyways, knife.

Unless you're only cleaning 6 fish at a time....and if that's the case, use what you want to....... you need more help with catching than you do with cleaning. ::)

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline BEAVERTAIL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 30, 2009, 06:39 AM »
I have heard a lot of good reviews of the Rapala Fish n' Fillet knife.  I just bought one last year before the ice season started and it was really dull all of the time.  Even after stroking it over the sharpener it made no difference.  My neighbor came over (head chief at country club) and he said that the knife was in really bad shape and was one of the worst fillet knifes he's used.  Any one else have these problems or is it only me?  Does any one think I should try to buy one again to see if it was just a defect or should I just cut my loses and go for a different one or a electric one?  Any recommendations if you think I should get a different one?

Offline BEAVERTAIL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Oct 30, 2009, 06:43 AM »
Take that knife to your local sharpening shop and have a professional sharpen it.  I have a sharpening shop and sharpen filet knives and because they are thin, they are usually easy to sharpen.  Most often the blade needs to be thinned and then honed.  If that doesn't fix it, I would complain to Rapala.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 30, 2009, 10:34 AM »
i bought a nice looking rubber handled rapala fillet knife last year. was dull as heck after the first use. looked on the blade stamped made in china. paid 3 bucks more for the wooden handled one made in finland. its night and day! get the finish one and youre good.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 30, 2009, 10:46 AM »
i bought a nice looking rubber handled rapala fillet knife last year. was dull as heck after the first use. looked on the blade stamped made in china. paid 3 bucks more for the wooden handled one made in finland. its night and day! get the finish one and youre good.
I do have the one with the wooden handle, and I will take BEAVERTAIL's advice and get it professionally sharpened if it's not to expensive.  Does anyone know how much this usually cost?

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #18 on: Oct 30, 2009, 12:15 PM »
depending on where you are from you may  be able to get it done free. Hendrix restaurant supply stores (all over the place in Ontario) they do a monthly free knife sharpening event. I take my knife set in when needed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 30, 2009, 12:17 PM »
I don't think we have any of those kinds of stores around where I live or where my cottage is.  Could you just take it to any deli and ask them to sharpen it?

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 30, 2009, 12:44 PM »
I have the Chicago Cutlery "The Traveler" folding fillet knife. It's great. Sharpens really well and holds the edge. I find it perfect (or maybe an inch too long) for filleting walleye.

But if you're looking for a sharpener, I really suggest this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F8SIOW/ref=asc_df_B000F8SIOW950299?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=googlecom09c9-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B000F8SIOW
I got one free and its amazing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.