Author Topic: WINDS!  (Read 1410 times)

Offline [email protected]

• Team IceShanty Regular
WINDS!
« on: Oct 23, 2009, 09:15 PM »
Last year during the ice season, I encountered 60+mph winds.  Blew my shanty across the lake when I wasn't paying attention getting a tip-up.  What was the highest winds you have encountered?

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: WINDS!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2009, 09:25 PM »
Im not to sure of the speed, but Chowder_head and I came across some serious winds a couple seasons ago, blew us all over the ice, we made the mistake of trying to set up a cabin style shanty, the wind threw it up in the air slamming it down over and over..we finally just had to lay on the ice...

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2009, 09:45 PM »
Yeah I was using a cabin style too, terrible for wind!  HA! ;D ;D

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2009, 09:39 PM »
I have set up my Ice Cube in winds of 45 mph.  The wind side was totally crushed in and all the poles were basically bent.  It took me about 30 minutes to finally set it up decent enough.  I had never had to wrestle a wind bag before this.  For some very strong gusts, it will implode the Ice Cube so I had to set my back against it and push back every time.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2009, 09:59 PM »
The challenges listed in this thread are the exact reasons that I sold our Frabill Outback in Knutson's parking lot and went in and bought a Clam Yukon.  My wife and I sat on Devils Lake, MI the day after New Years and got beat to death in the Outback for four hours.  Enough was enough.  The Yukon is way more comfortable in the wind, and hauls our gear a lot easier.

-Jeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2009, 10:11 PM »
The challenges listed in this thread are the exact reasons that I sold our Frabill Outback in Knutson's parking lot and went in and bought a Clam Yukon.  My wife and I sat on Devils Lake, MI the day after New Years and got beat to death in the Outback for four hours.  Enough was enough.  The Yukon is way more comfortable in the wind, and hauls our gear a lot easier.

-Jeff
Where is there a Devils Lake in Michigan?  I thought there was only one in North or South Dakota or something.

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2009, 10:22 PM »
I went out once with my pop up hunting blind and it started as a decent day, by about noon time the winds picked up to around 35-40mph and the blind wrapped around us like saran wrap. It was the first time out for the guy that was with me and he was still hooked and has been ever since.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2009, 10:24 PM »
Where is there a Devils Lake in Michigan?  I thought there was only one in North or South Dakota or something.

It is just off of US127 between Jackson and Hudson in SE Michigan.  It was last year's location for the Midwest Open Ice Fishing Tournament which was a NAIFC qualifying event.

Devils Lake Michigan

-Jeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2009, 10:28 PM »
It is just off of US127 between Jackson and Hudson in SE Michigan.  It was last year's location for the Midwest Open Ice Fishing Tournament which was a NAIFC qualifying event.

Devils Lake Michigan

-Jeff
Awesome, is it good fishing?  It looks like an 90 minutes away, could take a trip there if it's a good lake.  Could you tell me some of the fish in the lake too?  Thanks

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2009, 10:47 PM »
Awesome, is it good fishing?  It looks like an 90 minutes away, could take a trip there if it's a good lake.  Could you tell me some of the fish in the lake too?  Thanks

Bluegill, Crappie, Pike, Walleye, Catfish, LM Bass, SM Bass, Rock Bass, White Bass, Yellow Perch, Pumpkinseed, Carp, Gar, Warmouth.

I have only fished it a handfull of times.  Twice softwater and three times hardwater.  Caught some nice gills around the weed beds near the launch.  Watched a nice pike eye my Chubby Darter the last time out, but he wouldn't hit it.  Gin clear water when we were there last winter.

-Jeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2009, 11:05 AM »
Bluegill, Crappie, Pike, Walleye, Catfish, LM Bass, SM Bass, Rock Bass, White Bass, Yellow Perch, Pumpkinseed, Carp, Gar, Warmouth.

I have only fished it a handfull of times.  Twice softwater and three times hardwater.  Caught some nice gills around the weed beds near the launch.  Watched a nice pike eye my Chubby Darter the last time out, but he wouldn't hit it.  Gin clear water when we were there last winter.

-Jeff
Awesome, I'll probably take a weekend trip out there this winter! ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.