Author Topic: Bait Puck 2?  (Read 1647 times)

Offline [email protected]

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bait Puck 2?
« on: Oct 17, 2009, 03:28 PM »
I heard that you could hold minnows in these but wasn't very sure.  I was thinking of getting one and will for sure if it can hold minnows.  So my major question is if water won't leak out of it if you do carry something like that.  If it can hold 5-10 minnows when I want to go for like an hour or two at a near-bye pond fishing for  panfish that would be great.  Any information you know about these and if you could answer my question that would be great.  Thank's

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Bait Puck 2?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2009, 04:22 PM »
they would have to be super tiny minnows...the bait puck cavity is about 2.5" by 2.5" an maybe 2" deep

Offline TravP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2009, 04:24 PM »
The bait pucks have tiny pinholes in the lids. Water would leak.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2009, 04:24 PM »
If you want to hold a smal amount of minnows get one of those little styrofoam minnow cups many bait stores carry. The one I have is like 6" tall and 4.5" in diameter and has a push in lid. (like an endcap on a rod tube) I think I paid a dollar or two for mine. I think the bait puck 2 has a small hole in it for ventilation and no lid seal so it will leak water if you put it in your pocket or tip it. The bait puck 2 looks perfect for a load of waxies or mousies.

Offline panfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2009, 05:11 PM »
I beleive that what you are referring to is the Bait Puck 2.
"Big brother of the original Bait Puck. Keeps bait lively and fresh under all conditions. For winter use with wax worm, mousees, euro-larvae for summer use with leeches and crawlers. Insulated, easy open, crush proof and refrigerator safe. 5"wide x 2 3/8" deep." They say it will hold leaches so I don't see any reason you couldn't put a few minnows in it also. Check REED'S they have them. Good Luck and FISH ON.

Offline TravP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2009, 05:25 PM »
I beleive that what you are referring to is the Bait Puck 2.
"Big brother of the original Bait Puck. Keeps bait lively and fresh under all conditions. For winter use with wax worm, mousees, euro-larvae for summer use with leeches and crawlers. Insulated, easy open, crush proof and refrigerator safe. 5"wide x 2 3/8" deep." They say it will hold leaches so I don't see any reason you couldn't put a few minnows in it also. Check REED'S they have them. Good Luck and FISH ON.
You cant put water in the bait pucks. They pin holes in the top to allow the bait to breathe.

Offline [email protected]

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2009, 05:32 PM »
I was talking about the bigger Bait Puck, hence the name of the topic "Bait Puck 2?".  I know the smaller model had the holes in it but I didn't know about the bigger one because it said you could hold leeches in it and I keep my leeches in water when I get them.  I also heard that someone had used them for minnows so I was just wondering.  I still want to hear what some people think because I am thinking it can hold water and is water tight.  If any one had it could you test it out in a sink or something if you don't mind.  Thanks

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2009, 05:35 PM »
Im pretty sure mine has the hole, but it would be easy to just glue the hole shut. I have used mine for minnows. With it sitting flat in the bottom of my bucket it hasnt leaked.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2009, 07:29 PM »
I've got two small bait pucks, one yellow & one red. (red is the maggots-yellow for waxies)

I've also got 2 of the large bait pucks. Both red (wish they made a yellow one.)

I believe that they do have very very small pin size holes in the lid, but I've had water and minnows in them and haven't had it leak out. I think the insulation or something must have plugged the holes.

If you wanted to get the big bait puck and use it for holding some minnows, just take some glue and glue the small pin holes shut. Then it won't leak.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2009, 07:38 PM »
Try an old thermos.  Its insulated and so it doesn't freeze easy.

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2009, 11:17 PM »
I have used my bait puck 2 for minnows.   I generally use it to haul a minnow out to a remote tip up.  I have not noticed any leaks or holes.     

But to be honest, it got to be more of a pain.    More crap to carry.       

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 2009, 09:47 AM »
Last year I seen some old boys using a Pringles can for minnows.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.