Author Topic: people that you meet  (Read 2107 times)

Offline zadvorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gobi Dick sank my boat!
people that you meet
« on: Feb 03, 2009, 09:21 PM »
I'll tell you what.  Over the last year I've had some great outdoor experiences.  Elk hunting in Colorado.  deer hunting here at home and fishing all over my state.  One thing I find no matter where I go is if you fish or hunt, you meet people that more than likely you would not get a chance to socialize with.  I tend to be a bit chatty and like a good yarn.  I like listening to the old timers talk and I find I learn a lot just by listening.  If I'm on stand or on the ice i wave and say hello.  Open up a conversation and am amazed who you meet.  Hunting and fishing are a great leveler.  A ditch digger and a milllionare can sit side by each and talk on the same level.  I like that. 

Joel
If life were easy everybody would have one.

Offline troutaddict33

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: people that you meet
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2009, 09:25 PM »
me too!  :thumbsup:

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2009, 09:26 PM »
Agree 100%!!!!!!!!!!

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2009, 10:24 PM »
being a newcomer to the sport, I have learned a lot talking with other ice fishermen. In my area, you won't find that nearly as much during open water season-everyone seems to be more inclined to keep information to themselves..

Offline SK-PikeHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • SDFT. Saskatchewan Drinking and Fishing Team
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2009, 10:26 PM »
Well Said!!!

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2009, 11:32 PM »
I also am very open and chatty, but in general you can learn alot by keeping your mouth shut and your eyes and ears open. 8)

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2009, 02:54 AM »
I'm kind of a blue collar guy turned manager!  I manage a warehouse now after years of driving a tractor trailer.  Trust me....I like my education and my job, but after spending a work day in business casual it's awesome to throw on the old carhart coveralls and hit the ice.......out there I can say whatever I want and talk "smack" with the best of them!  Can't "let lose" like that during the day at my job!
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2009, 06:12 AM »
especially talking to old timers they usualy have some pretty good stories

Offline augerlips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2009, 09:30 AM »
i once read a story a while ago back. it was about a widower. he was out fishn had a couple of real nice fish layin out on the ice. nobody was catchin anything that day so one by one people would stop  and talk to the old timer, admire his fish see what he was usin, how deep and whatnot. then at the end of the day he noticed the fish were gettin a bit morefreezer burn than the last time he took them out. but he figured they'de me good for another couple fishin tripsso back in the freezer they went. turns out, as you guessed, he was just lookin for a bit of companionship and conversation. i magine i'll do the same when the time comes...........maybe this weekend ........but i gotta get some fish to throw down first ;)  ....tight lines everyone!

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2009, 10:48 AM »
Here is an example of not wanting company. Me and my brother get out on the lake the other day
about 6:30am and before we could even get a tip-up in the water here comes this guy across the lake.
So I think great I love meeting new people out on the ice,and then we see him. This guy is completely
smashed. 6:30am remember and we have to listen to this guy babble on about who knows what
because we couldn't understand him. Well not wanting to be rude I let the guy hang around,until
he fell over my bait pail and spilled some bait. That was it, I told him to drag his ass but not that polite.
I don't want to sound like a jerk, because I do like meeting people on the ice but this was a little
ridiculous.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2009, 11:30 AM »
Well not wanting to be rude I let the guy hang around,until
he fell over my bait pail and spilled some bait. That was it, I told him to drag his ass but not that polite.
I don't want to sound like a jerk, because I do like meeting people on the ice but this was a little
ridiculous.

Luckily that is an unusual extreme. I have found that most people are very friendly on the ice. And if they prefer to keep to themselves they usually let you know that without being rude, they're the ones that will at least say hi but don't lift their heads and let you just keep walking.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2009, 11:42 AM »
Luckily that is an unusual extreme. I have found that most people are very friendly on the ice. And if they prefer to keep to themselves they usually let you know that without being rude, they're the ones that will at least say hi but don't lift their heads and let you just keep walking.

:tipup:
NBG

Yeah this experience was definitely unusual, most others guys I have met in the outdoors are a
bunch of great guys.

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2009, 11:46 AM »
Every once in awhile its nice to have someone to talk to on the ice when the bite is slow. Otherwise I sit there and play mind ping-pong......Should I switch jigs???  Should I lower or raise my bait on my tipups???  etc.   etc.   
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline kiltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh-yeah....Uh-hunh!!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2009, 01:36 PM »
yepper!!!!
The reason we're all here is 'cause we ain't all there!
GD

Offline travo

• IceShanty Rookie
  • south dakota's worst icefisherman
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2009, 09:40 PM »
I'll tell you what.  Over the last year I've had some great outdoor experiences.  Elk hunting in Colorado.  deer hunting here at home and fishing all over my state.  One thing I find no matter where I go is if you fish or hunt, you meet people that more than likely you would not get a chance to socialize with.  I tend to be a bit chatty and like a good yarn.  I like listening to the old timers talk and I find I learn a lot just by listening.  If I'm on stand or on the ice i wave and say hello.  Open up a conversation and am amazed who you meet.  Hunting and fishing are a great leveler.  A ditch digger and a milllionare can sit side by each and talk on the same level.  I like that. 

Joel

I am a millionaire ditch digger, and i talk to myself. does that count?

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2009, 09:44 PM »
Try having a couple nice elk hanging in your camp when no one else has seen a fresh track.  You'll have every road hunter (we call them "roadies"), stopping in camp to pump you for info.  Its as close as I'll every get to being a celebrity.  LOL and thank god!

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2009, 09:52 PM »
99% of all people I met hunting or fishing were great guys. Swapped information, told some stories etc.  Met only one guy who was a real ***.  Walked up to him and noticed his vex was running in his sled, ponting away from him.  Let him know he left it on and asked him how the bite was. he said "I did that on purpose" didn't let me know how the fish were biting. Asked him what he was target "anything that bites". Obviously didn't wanna talk so I left.  He left the vex running in his sled too for mabey another 5 mins

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2009, 11:21 PM »
i have more than once made conversation with someone just because they happened to say "catchin' any?" made some great freinds out on the ice, some of 'em i still don't know their names. ;)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #18 on: Feb 05, 2009, 06:57 AM »
ill shoot the bull with anybody that wants to but i noticed since i got a vex everybodys my friend.lol

Offline pursuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2009, 10:27 AM »
   100% on the money. Some of my close friends I've met fishing or hunting, then there's the people you meet every year out on the ice and it's like you've been friends forever. Look forward to it every year! Just love it.
And God said "let there be FISH"

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #20 on: Feb 05, 2009, 12:11 PM »
I have made quite a few casual friends on the ice and while hunting. Every once in a while I run into one or two that don't ask questions and it seems that they think they already know everything. I have made some very tough shots while hunting over the years that I don't talk about anymore because I have been told that I'm full of it. To some people, if they haven't done it, it can't be done. I'm always willing to give information, but only to a point at this time.  ???
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 05, 2009, 12:41 PM »
I'll shoot the bull with anybody that wants to on the ice and since I found this site it has exploed.  There is a ton of great people and everyone seems too be more friendly.
;

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those toothy critters!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 05, 2009, 03:55 PM »
I was fishing this week, and in transferring all my gear from one vehicle to another, I'd overlooked my tackle box.  I had one lure to get me through the day.  I started chatting with a guy that was passing by.  He hooked me up with some jigs and bait, and wouldn't take any $$.  this guy was a real class act, but most I've met on the ice are decent guys looking to either relax or maybe cut loose a little.  I agree that a casual greeting can lead to good info about where and how to catch some fish.  its worked for me.  hopefully I've offered some helpful advice at some point too.
"You can't catch 'em from your living room!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.