Author Topic: Snow Dog Track Sled  (Read 112920 times)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Snow Dog Track Sled
« Reply #270 on: Jan 14, 2019, 09:47 AM »
Yeah sounds like a stuck float needle or float.common issue small engines.

Offline Hotlipsowilly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #271 on: Jan 14, 2019, 05:07 PM »
Took it to the shop. I only use non E fuel. The Tech checked for water in my fuel (none) then he pulled out the spark plug. It was soaked with gas. He shot in some carb cleaner, buttoned her back up and gave it a start. It sounded horrid but smoothed out quick. His best guess is it was well flooded. I kept it idle all the way home and cut the fuel off until is died.

He suggested a few things to me. One was to shut the fuel valve off and let it putter out like a generator when I'm done using it for the day.

He also wanted me to make sure I kept the line shut when transporting in the trailer.

Last was to pump the first gallon of gas into my truck before filling my gas can. High chance of the last guy pumping e85 in his car. This method should make sure you only get the nonE.

What do you all think?

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #272 on: Jan 14, 2019, 05:57 PM »
Took it to the shop. I only use non E fuel. The Tech checked for water in my fuel (none) then he pulled out the spark plug. It was soaked with gas. He shot in some carb cleaner, buttoned her back up and gave it a start. It sounded horrid but smoothed out quick. His best guess is it was well flooded. I kept it idle all the way home and cut the fuel off until is died.

He suggested a few things to me. One was to shut the fuel valve off and let it putter out like a generator when I'm done using it for the day.

He also wanted me to make sure I kept the line shut when transporting in the trailer.

Last was to pump the first gallon of gas into my truck before filling my gas can. High chance of the last guy pumping e85 in his car. This method should make sure you only get the nonE.

What do you all think?

That all makes sense.  Especially the last itme about pumping first gallon into your vehicle.  Chances are the customer before you bought the least cost fuel for a vehicle, not a small engine.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #273 on: Jan 14, 2019, 06:03 PM »

What do you all think?

The only time the fuel petcock should ever be turned to flow is when you want to run the machine. Always shut it off when you are not running it. I highly recommend the dose of Sea Foam in every tank and would not worry too much about the fuel pump with a little E gas left in the hose as long as you do use some fuel stabilizer. What we should never do is to keep gas in our containers at home for more than a month or two and I don't care if it is real gas or E gas. Rotate the gas in your cans into you car every month or so just to be sure you always have fresh fuel. My dog starts right up every time I push the button but it has leaked from a stuck float valve while in transport.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #274 on: Jan 14, 2019, 06:12 PM »
Sometimes with a stuck float condition it will fill up the engine oil/block with gas also.i always turn off the fuel petcock when not running small engines.briggs are notorious for stuck needles or float.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #275 on: Jan 14, 2019, 06:16 PM »
Sometimes with a stuck float condition it will fill up the engine oil/block with gas also.i always turn off the fuel petcock when not running small engines.briggs are notorious for stuck needles or float.

Excellent point Doc. I would check the oil and see if it is milky, thin or smells like gas. If either then change the oil now.

Gam

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #276 on: Jan 14, 2019, 06:22 PM »
Yes it will also read abnormally high on the dipstick.ive had a whole tank of gas come up missing in my lawnmower.it was super flooded and all the gas went into the block from a stuck float.lol.tapping on the carb bowl works alot for a easy fix.

Offline Hotlipsowilly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #277 on: Jan 14, 2019, 08:11 PM »
Thanks for the help. I will check the oil in the morning and grab some seafoam. Maybe that will help with the hard start

Offline ArronJames22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #278 on: Jan 15, 2019, 08:40 AM »
I recently bought a Compact 13hp and I am just getting the hang of how everything works. does anyone have recommendations for ramps to load into a truck bed? if so maybe some pictures. Thx in Advance

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #279 on: Jan 15, 2019, 08:45 AM »
I recently bought a Compact 13hp and I am just getting the hang of how everything works. does anyone have recommendations for ramps to load into a truck bed? if so maybe some pictures. Thx in Advance

This one works pretty good. https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/ramps/1200-lbs-capacity-30-14-in-x-72-in-convertible-aluminum-loading-ramp-60333.html

I don't like the open ladder type ones that your leg could fall through but they work too and are a bit cheaper.

Gam

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #280 on: Jan 15, 2019, 09:08 AM »
A friend that was a lawn service pro always replaced all his spark plugs every year. He said that the difference between starting first pull and third pull adds up on your arm over time. X2 for running the carb dry and transporting with the fuel shut off. That can prevent a lot of problems. Then the trick becomes remembering to turn the fuel back on before you spend 5 minutes pulling and cussing...

:tipup:

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #281 on: Jan 15, 2019, 04:38 PM »
Thanks for the help. I will check the oil in the morning and grab some seafoam. Maybe that will help with the hard start
I to own the 13 horse compact. Do you choke the engine before you try to start when cold ?If not, do . It will run rough initially when cold. It takes a few minutes till they are properly warmed up.Then slide the choke lever back to fully unchoked. Should run smooth at this point. works for me.

Offline Fogwoman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #282 on: Jan 28, 2019, 10:23 PM »
Regarding cold starts, I remove the air filter cover, pull the foam filter back a bit, and give it a quick squirt of starting fluid. The choke is on, and it starts right up. After a few mins, I turn the choke off and get on my way.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #283 on: Jan 29, 2019, 08:50 AM »
On the Briggs & Stratton official site they have some good info regarding fuel recommendations, storage and basic maintenance for their small engines. 90% of hard starting when cold are caused by poor fuel that has degraded over time. I use nothing but 91 octane Non Ethanol fuel in my dog and in all my other small engines and I treat every gallon with stabilizer. I prefer Sea Foam but most small engine companies have their own brands of fuel conditioners. Gasoline that is purchased in 5 gallon jugs at the fuel station and then left sitting around for 30, 60, 90 + days is a recipe for disaster. Gasoline left in your small tank for long periods is even more of a problem. Condensation is the most notable culprit and when the ambient temperature outside and in your storage area goes up and down the fuel in the tanks take much longer to acclimate to these changes and this causes condensation or Water in your fuel. B&S states that jug fuel begins to degrade after only 30 days and you can be very sure it is less for the fuel in your tiny tank. Ethanol fuel degrades much faster than pure gas but Non E gas is not available in many places. Use stabilizers recommended by the manufacturer and in almost all cases drain old fuel that has been in the motor's tank for more than 90 days before you even attempt to start it. B&S sells a fuel and oil pump out kit for around $30 and it is perfect for doing oil changes without the need to remove the drain plug and get oil all over the machine and floor. It also works perfect for suctioning the stale fuel from the gas tank.
I keep my 13.5 Standard Snowdog inside an enclosed snowmobile trailer year around. I use only 91 octane Non ethanol fuel in it and always treat the full 5 gallon jug with a few ounces of Sea Foam stabilizer. I also keep the battery on a very tiny trickle charger designed for AGM batteries. I have never experienced a hard start issue with my Snowdog since I found a source for non ethanol fuel. I also rotate all the fuel I buy in 5 gallon jugs right into my car after around 90 days from the date of purchase and go buy fresh fuel for the small engines. This is not rocket science but it is science, fuel deteriorates over time and in this process it both loses its octane or BTU rating and can attract moisture from normal condensation caused by temperature changes. On a very hot summer day I can open my cooler dark shed and the metal tank on my motorcycle is wet on the outside and you can be sure it is also wet on the inside. Once your ethanol fuel has gone through what is termed as "Phase Separation" it is absolutely no good to run through your engine or carb. Some say to run the carb dry by shutting off the fuel petcock and letting it run until it dies from fuel starvation. Others say leave the carb wet with fuel but turn off the fuel petcock. That is your choice. Some say to drain the fuel tank for long storage while others say fill it completely with stabilized fuel. Again, your choice and what ever floats your boat. After the ice season last April I filled my tank with non ethanol 91 fuel and double treated it with stabilizer. 7 months later in November while getting ready for ice fishing and just to prove to myself I fired my Snowdog up and it jumped to life real quick. Then I drained the old fuel out and replaced it with fresh treated non E gas just so I don't have trouble out far on a frozen lake. One problem I have had and I can't explain is if I fail to turn off the fuel petcock I have seen fuel leaking from the carb overflow. This means the float needle valve is stuck and not fully closing to shut off the fuel going to the carb. I suspect this has something to do with the changes in temperatures so out of precaution I always shut off the petcock after every use.
For those who have hard starting issues and who have replaced the stale gas with fresh and still have hard start issues I recommend you clean the carb and completely drain every ounce of old gas from the tank. When you remove the float bowl if done carefully you will probably find a white milky substance in the bottom. That is Phase Separated and moisture laced stale fuel. I drain my fuel into a clean white plastic pail and allow it to settle for an hour or two. In the bottom I can see the evidence of water in my fuel and if it is a metal gas tank from my motorcycle I can also see tiny rust particles from the inside of the metal tank.
I hope this helps some of you and I am pretty sure there will be a few who disagree with my opinions here. That's fine too because after dealing with this stuff for well over 50 years your arguments with my advice will most certainly fall on deaf ears. Every one of my small engines run just fine as long as I follow my own directions. You name it, Chain saws, Ice augers, Lawn mowers, Weed Eaters, Pressure washers, Snowdogs and snowmobiles, Roto tillers, ATVs, generators  and transfer pumps all start right up with just a few pulls or a couple presses on the electric start buttons and I have not had to rebuild or even clean a carb since switching to Non ethanol fuel.

Gam

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #284 on: Jan 29, 2019, 04:04 PM »
On the Briggs & Stratton official site they have some good info regarding fuel recommendations, storage and basic maintenance for their small engines. 90% of hard starting when cold are caused by poor fuel that has degraded over time. I use nothing but 91 octane Non Ethanol fuel in my dog and in all my other small engines and I treat every gallon with stabilizer. I prefer Sea Foam but most small engine companies have their own brands of fuel conditioners. Gasoline that is purchased in 5 gallon jugs at the fuel station and then left sitting around for 30, 60, 90 + days is a recipe for disaster. Gasoline left in your small tank for long periods is even more of a problem. Condensation is the most notable culprit and when the ambient temperature outside and in your storage area goes up and down the fuel in the tanks take much longer to acclimate to these changes and this causes condensation or Water in your fuel. B&S states that jug fuel begins to degrade after only 30 days and you can be very sure it is less for the fuel in your tiny tank. Ethanol fuel degrades much faster than pure gas but Non E gas is not available in many places. Use stabilizers recommended by the manufacturer and in almost all cases drain old fuel that has been in the motor's tank for more than 90 days before you even attempt to start it. B&S sells a fuel and oil pump out kit for around $30 and it is perfect for doing oil changes without the need to remove the drain plug and get oil all over the machine and floor. It also works perfect for suctioning the stale fuel from the gas tank.
I keep my 13.5 Standard Snowdog inside an enclosed snowmobile trailer year around. I use only 91 octane Non ethanol fuel in it and always treat the full 5 gallon jug with a few ounces of Sea Foam stabilizer. I also keep the battery on a very tiny trickle charger designed for AGM batteries. I have never experienced a hard start issue with my Snowdog since I found a source for non ethanol fuel. I also rotate all the fuel I buy in 5 gallon jugs right into my car after around 90 days from the date of purchase and go buy fresh fuel for the small engines. This is not rocket science but it is science, fuel deteriorates over time and in this process it both loses its octane or BTU rating and can attract moisture from normal condensation caused by temperature changes. On a very hot summer day I can open my cooler dark shed and the metal tank on my motorcycle is wet on the outside and you can be sure it is also wet on the inside. Once your ethanol fuel has gone through what is termed as "Phase Separation" it is absolutely no good to run through your engine or carb. Some say to run the carb dry by shutting off the fuel petcock and letting it run until it dies from fuel starvation. Others say leave the carb wet with fuel but turn off the fuel petcock. That is your choice. Some say to drain the fuel tank for long storage while others say fill it completely with stabilized fuel. Again, your choice and what ever floats your boat. After the ice season last April I filled my tank with non ethanol 91 fuel and double treated it with stabilizer. 7 months later in November while getting ready for ice fishing and just to prove to myself I fired my Snowdog up and it jumped to life real quick. Then I drained the old fuel out and replaced it with fresh treated non E gas just so I don't have trouble out far on a frozen lake. One problem I have had and I can't explain is if I fail to turn off the fuel petcock I have seen fuel leaking from the carb overflow. This means the float needle valve is stuck and not fully closing to shut off the fuel going to the carb. I suspect this has something to do with the changes in temperatures so out of precaution I always shut off the petcock after every use.
For those who have hard starting issues and who have replaced the stale gas with fresh and still have hard start issues I recommend you clean the carb and completely drain every ounce of old gas from the tank. When you remove the float bowl if done carefully you will probably find a white milky substance in the bottom. That is Phase Separated and moisture laced stale fuel. I drain my fuel into a clean white plastic pail and allow it to settle for an hour or two. In the bottom I can see the evidence of water in my fuel and if it is a metal gas tank from my motorcycle I can also see tiny rust particles from the inside of the metal tank.
I hope this helps some of you and I am pretty sure there will be a few who disagree with my opinions here. That's fine too because after dealing with this stuff for well over 50 years your arguments with my advice will most certainly fall on deaf ears. Every one of my small engines run just fine as long as I follow my own directions. You name it, Chain saws, Ice augers, Lawn mowers, Weed Eaters, Pressure washers, Snowdogs and snowmobiles, Roto tillers, ATVs, generators  and transfer pumps all start right up with just a few pulls or a couple presses on the electric start buttons and I have not had to rebuild or even clean a carb since switching to Non ethanol fuel.

Gam
Star Tron, or Sta-Bil  works for me. And is way less of a pain to locate and expensive than ethanol free fuel.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #285 on: Jan 29, 2019, 04:17 PM »
Star Tron, or Sta-Bil  works for me. And is way less of a pain to locate and expensive than ethanol free fuel.

What ever floats you boat works perfect for me. Sorry you don't have non E gas by you but we had to fight like hell to get it here in NY. If what you do or the prep you use works then that's really all that matters, just do something and always remember that no stabilizer removes ethanol from the fuel and alcohol turns to gunk way sooner than real gasoline.

Gam

Offline Team Rapo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #286 on: Jan 29, 2019, 04:52 PM »
Just wanted to share an update, the dog is as refined as it’s ever been. I’m now standing or sitting directly in my two man flip behind the homedog. It’s slow, climbs Ontop the snow and is very mobile. Loving every minuite of it. Getting thumps up from basically everyone I drive past.

Offline VenomInjected

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #287 on: Jan 29, 2019, 08:28 PM »
Just wanted to share an update, the dog is as refined as it’s ever been. I’m now standing or sitting directly in my two man flip behind the homedog. It’s slow, climbs Ontop the snow and is very mobile. Loving every minuite of it. Getting thumps up from basically everyone I drive past.
  what sled was your donor?

Offline Team Rapo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #288 on: Jan 30, 2019, 03:55 PM »
  what sled was your donor?

91 Polaris Indy classic 500
$100

Offline Windburned

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #289 on: Feb 03, 2019, 07:39 AM »
Absolutely LOVE my Snowdog here in PA.  Couldn’t ask for a better machine!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #290 on: Feb 04, 2019, 07:50 AM »
We had a great day yesterday fishing a local snow covered lake. In the morning we hitched my Otter Pro Resort to the dog's sled plus two other smaller sleds loaded with heavy equipment and 3 guys and drove out about a mile in 6 inches of snow with absolutely no problems. Pretty amazing the power this 13.5 HP standard machine has for pulling. After fishing all day and with the temperature raising to almost 45 degrees it turned the surface to a mix of snow/slush and things were a bunch different towing back in. I had to make two trips with the Snowdog because there just was not enough traction with snow and slush on top of glare ice. Every machine has it's limitations but this was some real crap to tow through. The Snowdog had no issue at all with just me in the sled behind and not much trouble with my massive Otter shanty loaded with gear behind me.
By the afternoon it became a chore just walking to the tip ups through the slush and snow so I have no complaints that the machine was a bit overwhelmed on the return tow. I really can complain that the damn fish refused to cooperate and all we caught all day long were a bunch of dink perch not worth keeping. Just be real careful in slush because I think no machine does real well in that crap if it can't get a solid grip. My track is studded with Kold Kutter ice screws but even with them the track could hardly dig down to the ice to get the needed grip.

Gam

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #291 on: Feb 04, 2019, 07:03 PM »
Was scanning the net and came across an ice fishing specific Vehicle called a "Wilcraft"? It even floats! I like it better than my dog. Priced out of my league though.

Offline 2labradors

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #292 on: Feb 04, 2019, 09:48 PM »
Was scanning the net and came across an ice fishing specific Vehicle called a "Wilcraft"? It even floats! I like it better than my dog. Priced out of my league though.

I own both a snowdog compact 13, and a 2014 Wilcraft, they each have there place I use the Wilcraft until the snow gets to deep then it's time for the snowdog. Wilcraft is unbeatable on early or late ice will run on 1 1/2 inch of ice and you can float open water and get to the ice.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #293 on: Feb 04, 2019, 10:54 PM »

So are airplanes and helicopters..

<°)))>{

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #294 on: Feb 05, 2019, 04:43 AM »
Looking at the Wilcraft machines and all I can think is great on the ice and maybe the water but getting one High Centered in a snow drift or bog could be a real serious issue. As I have found with my own Snowdog that I take on a trailer with all my other gear the trailer should certainly be an enclosed snowmobile one to keep the road crap off everything. Maybe OK in the bed of an open pick up but not so cool if hanging off the back on a MC carrier rack unless you can wrap it up real good. The rear window of my 4 Runner is absolutely useless when driving on crappy roads because all the crap swirls behind in the vortex and gets deposited on the back end. My clam shell trailer looks like it went through a crap storm every time I drive to the lakes but the equipment inside is clean and dry.
I think if I owned a lake side home and had a garage large enough for the Wilcraft it would be a perfect machine. Dragging one to and from the water over crappy roads would require a rather large enclosed trailer which would also double as a storage unit during the off season so the mice and squirrels can't get near it and eat it to pieces. I can't store my shanties or my Snowdog in a shed or garage over the off season because mice can and do get in but they can't get in the clam shell snowmobile trailer that seals well. I have far too much invested between the 3-4 man Otter XT Pro Resort, Clam 2 man guide shanties, Snowdog and all the ice gear to allow mice and critters anywhere near this stuff 8-9 months every year.

Gam

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #295 on: Feb 05, 2019, 09:44 AM »
I have also seen hovercraft on the Mississippi and it's backwaters. Again, a little overboard for most of us.

Offline 2labradors

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #296 on: Feb 05, 2019, 06:53 PM »
On the Wilcraft if you do get stuck in the snow you just retract the wheels and then it's like a big toboggan, mine is and older 2 wheel drive and it will fit in the back of a pickup to haul. They have 11" of ground clearance and if you put skis under the front wheels they will go through a suprising amount of snow.

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #297 on: Feb 06, 2019, 09:56 AM »
How much Seafoam do you use per 5 gallons ?
Is Seaform considered a gas stabilizer ?

Offline JSONICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #298 on: Feb 06, 2019, 10:21 AM »
I use 1oz to 1 gallon of gas.. Here you go for more....     https://seafoamsales.com/knowledge-base/how-to-use-sea-foam-in-fuel/

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #299 on: Feb 06, 2019, 11:14 AM »
I use 1oz to 1 gallon of gas.. Here you go for more....     https://seafoamsales.com/knowledge-base/how-to-use-sea-foam-in-fuel/

My home generator has a 5 gallon gas tank and I add 10 ounces to it when I fill it for stand by readiness. Sometimes I go 6 full months between using the generator and it fires right up every time and even if the outside temp is below zero. I would not and never have put any ethanol gas in the generator. I use only 91 octane non E fuel in all of my small engines and have never had one refuse to start even after sitting for months on end. A Perfect example, my ice auger was stored last spring in early April after the season. Tank was filled with fresh seafoam treated gas in a double dose. I got it ready last week when we finally had safe ice and it took 5 pulls of the cord to get it fired right up.

Gam

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.