Author Topic: New England Whitefish?  (Read 5857 times)

Offline The Ice Man

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ICE FISHING WESTERN MASS.
New England Whitefish?
« on: Dec 07, 2012, 03:43 PM »
 ??? I have fished in every state in northern New England and haven't rely heard of any waters that have fish-able populations of whitefish and I'm wondering if  anyone has fished for them and if so where and how?  ???   
"I dont need church, the woods,lakes and rivers are my church."
                     (My Dad)-Scott Johnson

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: New England Whitefish?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2012, 11:16 AM »
we have lots of them in maine

Offline The Ice Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2012, 11:24 AM »
we have lots of them in maine
  what lakes in maine?
                     (My Dad)-Scott Johnson

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2012, 08:27 PM »
You can find all of them by doing some research on the Maine IFW website.  A couple of places you could start are Chamberlain lake, Ross lake, Telos lake, Allagash lake and Webster lake.  Lots of other good lakes to try if you had the time.  They are not as big as ones you would get from the great lakes or the better ontario lakes, but they are great fun to catch and eat.

Offline The Ice Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2012, 04:22 PM »
You can find all of them by doing some research on the Maine IFW website.  A couple of places you could start are Chamberlain lake, Ross lake, Telos lake, Allagash lake and Webster lake.  Lots of other good lakes to try if you had the time.  They are not as big as ones you would get from the great lakes or the better ontario lakes, but they are great fun to catch and eat.
I have fished Chesuncook before and I though that they would be in there but have never caught any.
                     (My Dad)-Scott Johnson

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2012, 01:14 PM »
I have targeted and caught them in West Grand, East Grand, and St. Froid.  I have not fished many of the others listed here, but have heard good things about Ross and some of those other lakes in Northern Maine. 

I now live in NH, and have been researching places to fish for whitefish and there aren't many...and even those with whitefish seem to have low success rates for catching them.
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline allagashking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2013, 05:44 PM »
Chamberlain and Telos are the twoo easy access ,try a blue silver castmaster or aligater swedish pimple with cut smelt 1 foot to 3 feet of bottom arnie
arnie may your bait allways be under the ice.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2013, 02:40 PM »
White fish are all gone in Sebago,Moosehead,Chesuncook, Use to catch lots of them in all the lakes no more.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2013, 04:02 PM »
the states been stocking them to try and bring them back. they've had only marginal success tho.

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2013, 05:40 AM »
the states been stocking them to try and bring them back. they've had only marginal success tho.
They abandoned the stocking program year before last.  I wish that they had the money to really get serious about it and devote a hatchery to the effort to bring them back in the lakes they are missing from.  They could also supplement the lakes that are still self sustaining and need the occasional boost.  Ontario has a serious program that produces some amazing fish.  Maybe we need to petition the department or try to force them to bring back the fish in sebago and moosehead

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.