Author Topic: flip up shelters  (Read 5094 times)

Offline alumabass

• IceShanty Rookie
flip up shelters
« on: Oct 22, 2011, 04:01 PM »
I have been thinking about stepping up from my Clam 2000.  I have looked at the Nanook thermal, and I like it.  I have not seen the Yukon TC, so I cannot comare it to the Nanook.  Do you think the thermal is a must?  The Nanook is $100.00 less.  Is there another brand I should be looking at?  I saw that Northern Tool has the best price on the Nanook Thermal at $399.99.  Would the Yukon TC be a big step up from the Nanook?  Sorry my questions are all over the board, just trying to make a decision before the ice comes!

Thanks-
Arlo

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: New Flip Over
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2011, 07:39 PM »
I bought a new Nanook last Monday.  Could not justify the 100 more for thermal.  If there was a full floor I might have thought about the thermal.  I open a close my huts so much it would not be beneficial.  Long time Clam loyal, and still happy with the product.  The only thing i did was move the left seat 2 inches to the end of the sled.  More room between 2 right handed fishermen.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2011, 07:48 PM »
I have been thinking about stepping up from my Clam 2000.  I have looked at the Nanook thermal, and I like it.  I have not seen the Yukon TC, so I cannot comare it to the Nanook.  Do you think the thermal is a must?  The Nanook is $100.00 less.  Is there another brand I should be looking at?  I saw that Northern Tool has the best price on the Nanook Thermal at $399.99.  Would the Yukon TC be a big step up from the Nanook?  Sorry my questions are all over the board, just trying to make a decision before the ice comes!

Thanks-
Arlo

A lot of guys justify it as why pay more for thermal when you have a 20 some degree floor? Thermal is nice for the condensation, and if you fish really cold areas of the country (by us it gets -20+ and an average day its not much more than 5-15 with the wind) they are nice, but not necessary. I personally dont have thermal, and only on the really cold -20 days do I wish I had it. PS I love flip overs. I will never go back to suitcase style. Clam has an issue with bolts and quality, that being said they are pretty nice. Otter is the best but also the most heavy and expensive. If it was me I would go with Frabill! They are great shanties, great seats, great tubs, great canvas, great bolts...everything!!!! Trekker II and Guardian are great shelters!
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2011, 07:58 PM »
I like my thermal top for the fact I don't have water dripping on me and it does seem to get a lot warmer. Less propane I guess but either way a flip style is nice and very fast to setup. The frabills are really nice too. I think this would be a good excuse to go to bait shop or scheels or whatever you have and sit in them and try it out and see what's gonna be the best for you. Last year when I got mine I grabbed all the things that I use off the shelves and set them up in the shed to see how it felt and such.

Clam has supposedly got their hardware issues solved so I wouldn't be too concerned with that.

Offline frankrizzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2011, 08:06 AM »
Why not check out an Otter shack??? You do get what you pay for with them.

Offline powerwagon

• IceShanty Rookie
flip up shelters
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2011, 05:31 PM »
Hello   I am new here and I want to look up ice shelter reviews   how would I search that?   I have a clam x4 now but I was looking to get a smaller one that I could set up myself    thanks in advance

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
Re: flip up shelters
« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2011, 05:35 PM »
Welcome Powerwagon
First of all you have to have at least 5 posts I do believe, then you can use the search engine. Good luck!

Offline powerwagon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2011, 05:46 PM »
thanks    just looking through the pics on here    i am getting excited to hit the ice

Offline Swampfox

• IceShanty Rookie
  • out of bait out of beer out of here!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2011, 05:52 PM »
[quote    i am getting excited to hit the ice
[/quote]

We are all getting excited to hit the ice. Powerwagon , welcome aboard !! :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Zern

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2011, 05:53 PM »
Welcome PW

Yeah ya need 5 post and then ya can look up stuff. But to answer your question, the topic of flip-over shelters has been beat ta death. There are many types, brands, colors.  It boils down to what ya want/looking for in a shelter. I am a Otter person myself. I just purchased a cottage style. expensive but roomy. I like the seat and it wieghted in at 71 pounds. I worry about the poles in very cold temps having to be extended. other then that, like everyone here, I am pumped for the season.

Good luck with what ever you choose.
"Not One Step Back!"- General Leopold
May Your Blades Never Dull!

surflizard

« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2011, 05:55 PM »
Welcome to the shanty, on the community page down towards the bottom, check out the ice shack tip threads, there is a lot of reviews in there also !

Offline powerwagon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2011, 05:57 PM »
otter is my preference   are they made in North America ?  I had to replace all the hardware on the clam i bought last year  do you have the thermal model?

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2011, 06:24 PM »
PowerWagon....Welcome to the site....you're gonna find hundreds of opinions here on EVERYTHING....especial ly Shelters & Electronics..... you really do have to check them all out and decide what's best for your sitution.   You want to be able to set up yourself, and fast, and light???   YOu should check out the "Hub Style" shelters.   I use an "Estman Ice Cube 4 man" shelter.....it's really lightweight, sets up in less than five minutes, really roomy inside, comes iwth 5 Ice Anchors, 2 Ice Fishing Chairs, and it's own carry bag with shoulder straps.  You cn carry it like a back-pack, or just buy a small Jet Sled ($40) to pul it and your other gear.   I got my Ice Cube for $125.00
Anyway.....  Welcome once again, and have a great season!!

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #13 on: Oct 29, 2011, 06:37 PM »
          Welcome to IS, it's the site of sites. Now this is my take on flip overs. I had Shappell's Rover & found w/all my stuff heater, flasher, poles, bait, tackle box I needed more room so last year I bought Frabill's Trekker 2 man flip over & wished I had one yrs. ago. I leave the 2nd seat home gives me plenty of room & not that heavy 70lbs.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #14 on: Oct 29, 2011, 06:56 PM »
Welcome Powerwagon. You might not get these responses from all over the world if you put a "Location" in your profile.
It really doesn't matter though ~ we are all on the same page.      :icefish:

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Oct 29, 2011, 07:10 PM »
If I didn't already have a Quick Flip II I would be looking to buy a new Eskimo Fatfish 767 or 949.

I am pretty new here too and can say you will not find a better site and group of iCeAhOlIcS.
<===Lefty===

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Oct 29, 2011, 07:48 PM »
hey PW give us something to work with like how many days U live in the shack are U on foot , do you fish really windy days,snow fall you get the pic ,the guys on here will shell out more info, who better than the gents that do it all the time ;) 

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 29, 2011, 09:26 PM »
          Welcome to IS, it's the site of sites. Now this is my take on flip overs. I had Shappell's Rover & found w/all my stuff heater, flasher, poles, bait, tackle box I needed more room so last year I bought Frabill's Trekker 2 man flip over & wished I had one yrs. ago. I leave the 2nd seat home gives me plenty of room & not that heavy 70lbs.
hey dude! ive been eye balling the trekker to use as a one man myself...im 6ft 250 lbs...hows that baby handle draggin in snow? slush? etc...i know i know they all suck in the deep stuff etc...but generally speaking is it a nautilus machine to drag around?

Offline powerwagon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Oct 29, 2011, 09:41 PM »
okay this is great  I am looking for something that is well made and I like my space . I pull my clam and a 64" sled behind my snowmobile  like a "B" train.  i use a flasher and I have all the Mr. Heater small propane heaters.I also have a permanent shack on the same lake, Last Mountain Lake in Saskatchewan I want a big 2 man around 100 pounds max. I fish 30 to 40 days a year

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Oct 30, 2011, 09:00 AM »
PW ,PM sent

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #20 on: Oct 30, 2011, 09:15 AM »
okay this is great  I am looking for something that is well made and I like my space . I pull my clam and a 64" sled behind my snowmobile  like a "B" train.  i use a flasher and I have all the Mr. Heater small propane heaters.I also have a permanent shack on the same lake, Last Mountain Lake in Saskatchewan I want a big 2 man around 100 pounds max. I fish 30 to 40 days a year
I put skis on it & waxed the heck out of them & the bottom of sled, the biggest problem was slush under snow in real cold temps. The slush would build up, but that will happen to any sled. When there enough ice I use my 4 wheeler.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #21 on: Oct 30, 2011, 09:16 AM »
PW ,PM sent
Check out Frabill's Trekker 2 man ???

Offline reddot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Oct 30, 2011, 05:44 PM »
PW.  Last year I also did a lot of research on this site.  Lots of good advise and tips.  I got the Frabill Trekker II.  When snow is 6 plus deep and not good for ATV I use a Smitty Sled I built(learned from IS).  Works awesome.  Good Luck

Offline inHISgrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Oct 30, 2011, 07:27 PM »
Yes that the one I like as well. Frabill's Trekker 2 man. I was a clam guy for years  then i buddy got a Frabill's Trekker 2 man not i am hooked Great shack great sled.......
I LIKE FISHING BUT LIKE CATCHING EVEN MORE

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 31, 2011, 10:21 AM »
Just bought the frabill trekker DLX yesterday boy I'm gonna have me some fun this year!

Offline 1fastz28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 01, 2011, 06:46 PM »
I am also fairly new to the site, Have been searching for a while but first started to post. I purchased a Frabill Predator last year at the end of the season. I am looking for ideas on how to heat it. I also have a Honda Rancher 4X4 that I am setting up to get ready for the ice. I purchased a basket for the front and a drop basket for the rear. I also mounted gun holders on the top part of the rear basket to hold the auger in place. So far it all seems to be coming together. I have noticed though that I have only used my shack once last year and I was getting my things ready and noticed that the skirting on the shack is tearing away from the rest of the tent.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.