The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: drill for auger  (Read 10867 times)

Offline nundaiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
drill for auger
« on: Dec 23, 2020, 09:18 AM »
what is the best drill for a auger?

Offline steinea286

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: drill for auger
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2020, 09:52 AM »
I run an Rigid 18V hammer drill for mine for the last 2 years and its been amazing. I bought 2 4amp batteries as well to get a little more power for longer.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2020, 10:29 AM »
  I agree with steinea   Can't say anything about other brands as I only buy Rigid tools.  They have a life time warranty and stand behind it 100%.  I have the same drill as steina which I found on a good sale at Home Depot. I put it on a strike master 6" lite flight  auger    Last year I counted 42 holes thru 7" before it started to slow down   at that point I changed the battery
    Go with the Rigid    Good luck

Offline UpstateNYICe23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2020, 10:50 AM »
Milwakee

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2020, 11:03 AM »
Ridgid.

It's the strongest pistol grip drill on the market.

It has the best warranty on the market. 5 year warranty if you don't register the tool. Lifetime warranty if you do register the tool.

You won't have to pay to replace worn out batteries either, if the battery comes in a kit. Batteries as a bonus tool or sold alone do not qualify for lsa and it will be only 3 year warranty.

If the drill or any other Ridgud tool needs to be replaced and they quit making that version, they will give you the next version for free and you register that tool and it keeps the lsa. Same with batteries.
Just register with in 90 days to get their lsa.

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2020, 11:39 AM »
Lots of sales Christmas season.    hone depot,lowe’s,ace hardware, etc
Look around for a good deal

I bought a dewalt hammer brushed drill kit  6 years ago 20 v lithium.  and has served me well....

Of course you do not use the hammer setting....but comes with hammer handle and two batts

I have never needed the second battery on the ice.....even after 40 holes+ in 12 inch ice.

Whenever we setup on the ice i always drill 10 holes to scout    and once you find fish.  then drill holes for the shanty

good luck!

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2020, 11:56 AM »
Ridgid.

It's the strongest pistol grip drill on the market.

It has the best warranty on the market. 5 year warranty if you don't register the tool. Lifetime warranty if you do register the tool.

You won't have to pay to replace worn out batteries either, if the battery comes in a kit. Batteries as a bonus tool or sold alone do not qualify for lsa and it will be only 3 year warranty.

If the drill or any other Ridgud tool needs to be replaced and they quit making that version, they will give you the next version for free and you register that tool and it keeps the lsa. Same with batteries.
Just register with in 90 days to get their lsa.

uh Rigid hammer drill is 700ft lbs the Millwaukee M18 Hammer drill is 1200ft lbs .... so not sure on the strongest claim.... still a good drill
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2020, 12:34 PM »
uh Rigid hammer drill is 700ft lbs the Millwaukee M18 Hammer drill is 1200ft lbs .... so not sure on the strongest claim.... still a good drill

Octane drill is 1300 inch pounds.
When used with octane battery.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-OCTANE-Cordless-Brushless-1-2-in-Hammer-Drill-Driver-R8611506BN/313582516

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2020, 12:36 PM »
These are the drill you want

Dewalt DCD991

Dewalt DCD996

Dewalt DCD997

Dewalt DCD998

Milwaukee 2804-20

Milwaukee 2803-20

Ridgid R86116

18V or Higher Brushless Drill

5 Amp Hour or Higher Battery

1/2” Chuck Type

Side Stabilizer /  Handle

Minimum Torque Rating of 84 Nm / 750 in. lbs.

No Load RPM Range of 0-550 RPM on Speed Setting 1
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2020, 12:38 PM »
I have been running the Milwaukee M18 Fuel Hammer drill for several years with no issues.

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2020, 12:39 PM »
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2020, 12:44 PM »
Not a big fan of the Ridgid Octane based on they are prone to cut outs ...unless you use the 9ah battery ...the Ridgid Octane combo kit comes with two 3 ah batteries so even then your starting off short on power/ah .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2020, 01:03 PM »
Milwaukee fuel hammer drill with a 9ah battery and you’ll be on the ice for a week and still have battery left over. Battery is alittle bit heavy but if you go away for a weekend with no charger it’s nice to have. Even though I have never killed even a 5ah battery lol

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2020, 01:36 PM »
Here's a kit with three batteries including their 9amp octane battery.  Its a kit so all of it qualifies for their lifetime service agreement.

If you want the best
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-OCTANE-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Brushless-2-Tool-Combo-Kit-w-2-3-0-Ah-Batteries-1-9-0-Ah-Battery-and-Charger-R9501-AC8400809/314260088

Do you need the best?

Not a big fan of the Ridgid Octane based on they are prone to cut outs ...unless you use the 9ah battery ...the Ridgid Octane combo kit comes with two 3 ah batteries so even then your starting off short on power/ah .

You need octane batteries to handle the octane drill.
Its mentioned on the web pages.

I tested non octane batteries to see what it would do since I own plenty of them and the battery would cut out, not the drill.

Offline snow snake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2020, 02:15 PM »
 Milwaukee M18 Fuel Hammer drill  hammer drill  18 volt

I cut with 8 inch  auger
only because I do fish for pike,
for pan fish you good with 6 inch

buy a drill with at least 18volt
snowsnake

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2020, 03:33 PM »
Definitely go with a 5 amp/hr battery or higher. That way you should only need to bring one battery. I second Dewalt and Milwaukee. I have field tested them to death and they are the best IMO. Not much experience with other brands
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline njsquatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2020, 07:18 PM »
I got a steal on the dewalt 996 combo and used it for the first time this weekend with my 6” laser. All I can say is WOW totally sold on the technology. Went through 4” of ice in 2 seconds.

Sold my gasser to pay for the drill, adapter, and extension. I don’t think I will ever look back and regret it.

Offline Jigger nut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2020, 07:27 PM »
Danman I picked up the Dewalt hammer drill 20V. I hope its as good as everyone says it is. Im going to be using it on my 8 inch light flight auger. I have the Jiffy propane auger 10 inch also. Its good down to about 20 degrees but when I went up to Sacandaga lake year at 3 degrees it didn't want to start & kept stalling. I had the neoprene covers on the propane take but they didn't help much.  Walt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Dec 24, 2020, 04:35 AM »
Danman I picked up the Dewalt hammer drill 20V. I hope its as good as everyone says it is. Im going to be using it on my 8 inch light flight auger. I have the Jiffy propane auger 10 inch also. Its good down to about 20 degrees but when I went up to Sacandaga lake year at 3 degrees it didn't want to start & kept stalling. I had the neoprene covers on the propane take but they didn't help much.  Walt

Hope its on of the Dewalts that I listed above and not the Atomic version . Not enough in/lbs or UWO of  torque..may work on skinny ice but not so much after 10 in on up .

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 24, 2020, 07:23 AM »

I also hope it's one of the ones listed cause you'll burn but anything else first time your on 5 inches of black ice did it last year after my 996 was stolen. Bought a 997 to replace it.
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Dec 24, 2020, 07:56 AM »
Some adapters for the cordless drills

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=372843.msg4025394#msg4025394

Some information on the Auger Drill Units

All about the blades .1).K-Drill has Chipper style great for dirty ice Slowest and uses more battery ..2)Shaver style blade or Mora type ..Pistol Bit ..HT E-Drill ..Cableas Eze ..pretty fast and can be hand sharpen with some practice ..replacement blades fairly inexpensive . 3) Lazer style blades ..Lite flight .. ..fastest but if used on dirty ice game over ..ie paper weight..replacement blades lil pricey.. I am not familar with the Razr ..but believe they have Lazer style blades .. next is weight ..metal heavier ..composite lighter . Having a center point is a great option ..most hand augers do not ..so skipping on glare ice is quite possible/dangerous . As for the Drill you will be using ..Brushless 725 in/lbs or better with 5ah battery or better..IF YOU GO WITH A UNDER POWERED UNDERTORQUED PICTURE HANGING DRILL SET UP IT WILL BE AN EPIC FAIL EVENTUALLY..Buy the right drill and battery set up .

HT Enterprise E Drill..   Mora/Straight
Eskimo Pistol Bit.......   Mora?Straight
Strikemaster Lite Flite.  Lazer/Curved
K Drill...                      Chipper
Cabelas Eze Drill..........Mora/Straight
Nils.................. ..........$$$
Razr Scout................. .Lazer/Curved

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 24, 2020, 08:58 AM »

Six years old.    a beast.   dcd985. i use a  old 6 inch mora with sharp blades .  lemme know how works for an 8 inch

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Dec 24, 2020, 09:09 AM »
Six years old.    a beast.   dcd985

I started with the DCD771 ..burnt it up using 6'SM Lazer ...moved up to the DCD985 w/4ah batteries first gen Clam Plate  same SM lazer ..then went to 2nd gen Clam Plate ...refurbished Milwaukee 2704 w/5ah batteries and a 7.5" K-Drill

I believe the DCD985 is a brushed drill ..so that why I went with the Milwaukee upgrade .

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Dec 24, 2020, 09:16 AM »
Six years old.    a beast.   dcd985

What make/model/size auger drill unit are you using on your set up ...I still have my gen 1 Clam Plate ..and my DCD985  w/4ah batteries ..wondering how big/type you running with success ? How many holes you drill per outing ?

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 24, 2020, 09:25 AM »
6 inch old mora with new blades....   i’ve learned over time that i don’t need anything larger ......started with a 7.5 inch hand auger back in 1980. lol. 

drill 12 inches deep  in under ten seconds .   

i drill 30-50 holes per outing

i’ve never needed the backup battery but i carry it anyhow

max torq setting     low rpm setting   

yes mine is brushed      bought it just about the time brushless was becoming common.

I use it a lot for other Dyi stuff.  as you can tell from the cosmetics

don’t bang the drill on the ice
don’t try to drill out old holes
let the drill feed itself

i fish binghamton cortland syracuse lakes

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Dec 24, 2020, 10:28 AM »
DANMAN Thanks ..quite a detail description ..may have to re assemble my old set up ..as a back up .

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 24, 2020, 10:29 AM »
DANMAN Thanks ..quite a detail description ..may have to re assemble my old set up ..as a back up .

Offline Frankie Bags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 24, 2020, 10:36 AM »
These are the drill you want

Dewalt DCD991

Dewalt DCD996

Dewalt DCD997

Dewalt DCD998

Milwaukee 2804-20

Milwaukee 2803-20

Ridgid R86116

18V or Higher Brushless Drill

5 Amp Hour or Higher Battery

1/2” Chuck Type

Side Stabilizer /  Handle

Minimum Torque Rating of 84 Nm / 750 in. lbs.

No Load RPM Range of 0-550 RPM on Speed Setting 1
That’s some great information. I just had someone ask me what drill to get. Screenshot and sent. Thanks for making it easy as this is extremely helpful and saves a lot of time.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Dec 24, 2020, 10:43 AM »
That’s some great information. I just had someone ask me what drill to get. Screenshot and sent. Thanks for making it easy as this is extremely helpful and saves a lot of time.

Your welcome ..this topic comes up quite often ..and gets beaten to death ..and a lot of misinformation ..sure there are one off "other brands" ..but these are the drills that get the most attention and have been tried and tested by a lot of respected members of IceShanty ... if you read my above post I have made every misstep you could possible make with a cordless drill set up ..some was lack of information at the time..some were due to a next gen up grade ..some were cutting corners ...so helping out others who want to jump on the band wagon is the right thing to do .

Offline perchman54

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 24, 2020, 06:21 PM »
Been using a Milwaukee M18 for ~4 years now mated to a clam auger drill plate and lazer bit.  Would not change.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.