Author Topic: snowmobile rack  (Read 10989 times)

Offline Brian A

• IceShanty Rookie
snowmobile rack
« on: Feb 26, 2008, 11:49 AM »
Hi gang. Purchased a sled for ice fishing over the holiday break and just tested out the rack I made to hold my shanty and gear. Will probably add a hook for my auger, I have a new Nils 8" hand auger on the way!

just wanted to share a pic of it. In the pic, I have my Clam 2000 on it, it can also hold my fish trap. Nice thing is I can take the buckets off and just drive the rig into the back of my truck and leave everything in place while I drive home.

thanks

Offline ski7doo

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: snowmobile rack
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2008, 08:35 PM »
nice, dont punch the gas too hard, might get a lil squirley do a nice wheelie :o :o

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2008, 02:02 AM »
looks cool - good job!

what's it made of? more pics of it and how it's attached?

Offline Brian A

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2008, 05:37 AM »
I will dig up some more pics of it.  Its made from aluminum tubing. We use the stuff at work. I just made it from scraps of it that I have been saving up. The storage area under the shanty is made with cargo netting from an old car trunk wrapped around the aluminum frame.

I have a tow hitch and bracket that were original on the sled, it is an aluminum bar that made for a perfect mounting surface. I just bolted the rack to it with 4 bolts. I can take it on and off pretty easily so when I dont need it I can remove it.

As far as the weight factor that did concern me. But I weigh about 280 so that pretty much balances that lol

When running with a buddy on the back seat, it doesnt steer very well on glare ice but I guess thats to be expected.  With no passanger it does just fine though.

Offline powderburns

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2008, 10:59 AM »
great idea. Did you take a patent out on it?

Offline bluecaddisfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TIGHT LINES AND SMOOTH DRAGS
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2008, 05:46 AM »
 do the buckets just hang? that would be annoying if theres any bumps.

Offline Brian A

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2008, 06:05 AM »
do the buckets just hang? that would be annoying if theres any bumps.

no they are secured with bungee cords to the side of the rack. I just dont have them on in that pic

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2008, 09:32 PM »
NICE. I think I'll do the same thing, THANKS forb the idea!

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 10, 2008, 10:58 PM »
Great idea for a rack! beats towing a sleigh that gets all full of slush and water, plus easier to transport to the lake!. When you're riding with a buddy, you can soften the spring(s) on the front arm on the rear suspension skid frame, puts more of the sled's weight on the skiis, gives them some more bite for turning. Not sure what the Polaris skids look like, but it'll either be a pair of scissor springs where the front arm bolts to the tunnel, or a coil over shock in the very front of the frame. Sorry for the late, (early?) post, days are getting shorter and cooler and i've already got the hardwater bug  :-[
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #9 on: Sep 16, 2008, 09:16 PM »
Good looking rack Brian, a lot easier than hauling a sled depeding on the conditions.

Here's some pictures of some racks, most are my buddy's sleds. They used pipe couplings or tube steel and split them to make "U" brackets for the augers to set in, then bungeed them down. The racks also hold our bait buckets.

This guy mounted is auger blade vertically on the side of his sled, but it's pretty scary looking.

I don't have an auger mount on my sled this year. I have a dog sled for fishing near the house.

Hard to beat an Otter sled for hauling in snow.

Hope this gives you all a few ideas for the up coming season.

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #10 on: Sep 16, 2008, 09:40 PM »
nice set ups there!! out4trout

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.