Author Topic: ATV Tire Chains  (Read 16938 times)

Offline Hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a kid fishing!!!
Re: ATV Tire Chains
« Reply #30 on: Jan 12, 2009, 03:52 PM »
Yup definitely go with the 2 link chains.  Bungee em down tight and cable tie the loose links down.  The 2 link chains are alot smoother riding and easier on the machine.  Go slow and don't horse it!!

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 12, 2009, 09:49 PM »
I bungy mine and put 25 psi in them. Keeps the tires narrow and the chains tight. I also zip tie the connector and loose chain.

Offline rayman54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 14, 2009, 07:08 PM »

chains are correct size for tire, put on properly, they fit tight and no bungies required.

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 14, 2009, 07:52 PM »
Each tire manufactor has different specs. I know my chains fit loose on my goodyears but great on dunlops.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #34 on: Jan 15, 2009, 03:58 PM »
I bungy mine and put 25 psi in them. Keeps the tires narrow and the chains tight. I also zip tie the connector and loose chain.

I was told that if you go to much psi that you will wear your tires out a lot faster also you lose the control and feel every bump a lot more.

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 19, 2009, 11:40 AM »
Well I have a 1994 atv with 1500 miles. It seems to go through more snow with the tires aired up and I havn't wore them out yet. They will probley dry rot before they wear out.

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 23, 2009, 07:18 PM »
I was told that if you go to much psi that you will wear your tires out a lot faster also you lose the control and feel every bump a lot more.

You will only wear your tires out with higher air pressure if you are riding hard and often on pavement. Snow, ice, and dirt will wear them, but at a much slower pace.
You will definately lose some control if you run a higher psi. the tires will slide more on hard surfaces which will cause your steering to be less responsive.
And yes, you will definately feel more bumps. The tires act as shock absorbers as much as shock absobers themselves.

Mike
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.