Author Topic: New Members to Team Alaska, introduce yourselves here!  (Read 116752 times)

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re: New Members to Team Alaska, introduce yourselves here!
« Reply #90 on: Feb 09, 2008, 02:11 PM »
Welcome Dustin!  We need a couple more "Wingnuts" on this board! :D  Retired AF myself, and miss the camaraderie but not the deployments!  Fish on! ;)
TEAM ALASKA

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God bless the USA and Canada!
« Reply #91 on: Feb 09, 2008, 02:16 PM »
Welcome to team Alaska.  :tipup:
Bob

Offline The Hooked One

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 14 lb laker
« Reply #92 on: Feb 10, 2008, 10:39 PM »
My name is Kyler and I live in fairbanks. I am brand new to the site but so far it looks pretty useful. This is my second season out on the ice, although I havent been sucessful at all until this season. well besides some small bows and land locked salmon. I get out there every chance I get. I dont think I would make it through the winter without going fishing.
I posted some of my catches in the pictures forum.
<)))=<

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Feb 11, 2008, 12:15 AM »
Welcome Kyler, we have a good group here and I am sure you will enjoy the site, by the way NICE FISH.  :tipup:
Bob

Offline The Hooked One

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 14 lb laker
« Reply #94 on: Feb 12, 2008, 09:35 PM »
Thanks. I would like to go for more than lakers and char. Any suggestions arround fairbanks? Birch never seems to work for me.???? ???
<)))=<

Offline trapperJ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #95 on: Feb 14, 2008, 08:17 PM »
Hello, I'm new to this site.Looks like alot of great info here!

I've lived in Alaska for 17 years and like most up here I love to hunt ,fish and trap.I live in Sterling on the Kenai Penn.Lived in Fairbanks for awhile.I enjoy ice fishing but never have been really serious about it.But that is changing! I'm sure this site will help me become a better hardwater fisherman.I have a power auger,couple buckets of gear,snowmachine,sled,etc.Sorry for stupid questions in advance ;D

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #96 on: Feb 16, 2008, 11:24 AM »
Welcome Trapper and Kyler!  No such thing as a stupid question, just stupid answers!  I apologize in advance!! :D
TEAM ALASKA

Offline MuskyMastr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #97 on: Feb 27, 2008, 12:43 PM »
Hello all.  This is a great site.  I will be making my first trip to AK in about a week.  Headed to the Fairbanks area from PA.  Friends I am staying with, have set up an ice fishing trip.  So I need to bring my gear.  I will look for a better place to post this but I believe we are after greyling.  Any reccomendations on which gear to bring would be great. I already have the vex packed, I am looking for ideas on rods, line weight and other species typically caught around Fairbanks.  Thanks.

IKE

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #98 on: Feb 27, 2008, 01:48 PM »
I'm not too aware of grayling through the ice, heard of it, but no idea where or what it's like. On what else is available there is quite a bit to relay - can you give us an idea where they plan to take you? Maybe start a new post with "visiting fairbanks" type title to be sure the interior people see your questions and respond. You'll have a good time - be sure to visit the 'ice park' opening this weekend or sometime soon, it's something to see.

Offline Akice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #99 on: Feb 28, 2008, 11:11 AM »
Yep, 'nother new guy. lived in ak 29 years, i used to work as a fishing guide ,now i'm looking into guiding some outa state ice fisherman on the lakes i used to guide on in the summer, but don't have all the lingo down and not up to speed on all the new stuff, so i found this place. figured some of you guys can help me out and we can have a riot.
Done alot of ice fishing in my younger days, (BW and BC, before wife and before children) but time is limited so best way to get fishing in is if i'm makin' money, then the wife digs it!!
Looking forward to it!

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #100 on: Feb 28, 2008, 01:18 PM »
Welcome AKICE!  I'll start you off with some simple lingo, and other folks can go from there!

A spud is not a potatoe nor a short basketball player.  It's a metal bar with a chisel connected to the bottom in which you use to cut through the ice, and then toss to the bottom of the lake. :-[

Welcome again! ;)
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Wyo2AK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #101 on: Mar 12, 2008, 07:29 PM »
Hello,

The name's Rich and I moved up to Alaska back in September with my wife, Paula.  We're both from Wyoming and were ready for an adventure after finishing up with college... so we packed our bags and headed north.  As an avid fisherman, hunter, hiker and general outdoor enthusiast, I've always wanted to try hacking it in Alaska... it's seems like the only state that might be better than Wyoming.  And the wind blows a lot less.  ;)  I've hit up the iceshanty forum from time to time, mostly to get an idea of what to expect for ice conditions and what fish are in what lake.  It seams like a great bunch people, so I figured I ought to step up and join the crowd (even if it is nearing the end of the hardwater season).

Anyhow, we started hitting the ice back in January (we waited until 2008 to avoid buying the nonresident license twice).  I grew up icefishing for trout (rainbows, cuts, lakers and brookies) as well as some perch and walleye, so I was excited to try for some new species through the ice... namely arctic char and pike.  I got a nice char our first trip out (Big Lake), managed to land several pike (Big Lake), and picked up some trout/salmon/char along the way... so thus far I've been very happy with our first season on the Alaskan ice.  ;D
Don't worry about me... I'm from Wyoming.

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #102 on: Mar 12, 2008, 08:37 PM »
Welcome Rich, its good to have you here.  :tipup:
Bob

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #103 on: Apr 15, 2008, 11:47 PM »
well my names Jake im 23 and i split my time between the valley and anchorage... didnt get to go ice fishing as much as i would have liked this year, but got a few trips in...my favorite lakes include the kepler bradley area, lake louise, sand lake of anchorage, and hidden and summit lakes on the kenai peninsula...im here to exchange advice and tips....thanks
TEAM ALASKA          :bow: Pray For Ice! :icefish:

Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #104 on: Apr 18, 2008, 10:02 PM »
Welcome aboard Jake, we are glad to have you here, its the end of the season so not much activity here now but when we are all fishing hot and heavy there is always something going on and loads of information being shared.  :tipup:
Bob

Offline MNViking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #105 on: Aug 12, 2008, 02:02 AM »
I guess I'll introduce myself. My name is Eric and I'm originally from Minnesota/Wisconsin. I've been overseas in the Air Force for about 13 years and am finally coming back to the U.S. for my first stateside assignment. I've lived in Korea (3yrs), Japan (3yrs), Guam (4yrs), and Italy (2yrs). I'll be at Elmendorf in October this year and can't wait to get geared up for some icefishing. All of my ice fishing experiance is fishing for panfish, walleye, and pike down in the L48, but I'm looking forward to some new things. Anyways I hope to learn a lot on here and maybe pass on some of my little tricks from back home to help all you guys out. See you on the ice.

Offline arcticgrayling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #106 on: Sep 30, 2008, 10:57 PM »
Hey Everyone,

So I was driving down Cushman street this week and I saw a truck with several iceshanty bumper stickers so here I am.  I've lived in Fairbanks for a couple years and did a little ice fishing last year. I'm excited at the site of fresh snow and ice forming on the creeks & sloughs. This year my goal is to catch my first ever pike and lake trout. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Arcticgrayling

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Oct 01, 2008, 12:01 AM »
Welcome aboard Grayling, we are glad to have you here, when the water is hard look for a red dodge truck, stop over and shoot the breeze although I must warn you that the first liar doesn't stand a chance at my fire.   :tipup:
Bob

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • George Lake February '09
« Reply #108 on: Oct 01, 2008, 04:57 PM »
Welcome ArcticGrayling if you read through some of the older posts you'll see some on lake trout. I'm thinking that with all the high water we had earlier this summer some of the ponds between South Cushman and the Airport might hold a few new pike this winter. Maybe worth a look. I can usually be found on Birch Lake fishing in F-75.

Offline alaskanrocket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #109 on: Oct 14, 2008, 07:59 PM »
Hello,
New to the iceshanty.com. Not so new to ice fishing. Lived in Fairbanks my entire life of 26 years. I recognize a few faces on here. I never heard of you guys before and the other day I was walking through the Fred Meyers parking lot and seen a truck with a couple iceshanty.com stickers and thought "what the heck is that?'' and here I am. To the people that know me, my "old man" works at the U. Well here's my introduction. Thanks, Jess

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #110 on: Oct 15, 2008, 04:03 AM »
Welcome aboard Jess!  Lot's of old men work at the U, I'd guess it's one that works with KPAlaska?  Kevin's not old, just a little ripe. ;D
TEAM ALASKA

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • George Lake February '09
« Reply #111 on: Oct 15, 2008, 11:26 AM »
What do you mean ripe, I'll have you know that the union suit is new this time of year and doesn't start getting ripe until March or April. Welcome aboard Jess, I'm thinking I see the old man on a daily basis.

Offline murphyslaw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #112 on: Oct 22, 2008, 11:33 PM »
welcome to the new comers(not so old myself). Time to start getting ready for the season. Hardwater is the  only sport fishing I do.

Offline DizzyDean

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #113 on: Oct 24, 2008, 09:22 PM »
Hello Everyone from Team Alaska,
          I am in the process of moving to Bethel to work. And I see they have been on the ice already. Which is great news to me. I am hopeing to be able to get out and do some fishing. Is there anybody from Bethel here on the forum?
I will be bringing my 2 medium wgt rods with me along with the tip ups. Can't wait.
I need ice!!!!

Offline bullhead bandit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #114 on: Oct 29, 2008, 08:07 PM »
Hello all!

I've been itching to get on the ice and just happened across this site the other day.  I moved up to Fairbanks this May from South Dakota.  Did a little fishing this Summer whenever I had some time off work, but that didn't turn out to be much.  Looks like things are going to be slow this winter, so I'm planning to get geared up and out on the ice soon.  The move was a bummer since I had to leave my shack, sled, and auger behind.  So if anybody's looking to go out soon, give me a shout.  I'd also appreciate any pointers.  I'm used to fishing walleye, perch, and pike, so the whole trout, salmon, and char situation is quite a change.  But, I'm looking forward to seeing something new come out of the ice when my flag goes up.

Offline JIGNMOF

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Gotta Love It!
« Reply #115 on: Oct 30, 2008, 09:58 PM »
What's up jiggers?  Just kidding!  I fish with my family in the Valley every chance we get and get some pretty nice Rainbows and Dollys.  When we have the time, we love fishing for big Lakers on Lake Louise.
Go Packers!

Offline sep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #116 on: Nov 01, 2008, 12:29 AM »
I'm sep.  I live in North Pole and have been here quite a few years.  I'll be headin out to Quartz lake next weekend to try and slam some rainbows. 

Offline Outdoorsman79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #117 on: Nov 01, 2008, 12:38 PM »
Hello all my name is Dennis been on here a couple years ago but deployed last winter so I missed out last season. I can not wait to get out there and drill some holes in the ice this winter. I will be throwing up a Ice shack out on Birch lake this winter. So if anyone is out on the lake stop on by.
I am new to the area and new to Ice Fishing so just looking for some useful information.

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #118 on: Nov 06, 2008, 02:10 AM »
Welcome one and all to the greatest website on ice ;D and as the UNOfficial Kingpin, ramrod ding a ling around here let me be the first to welcome you all to IS and more importantly to "Team Alaska" Yes we are working on stickers for your mode of transportation and donations are accepted to help cover the cost just pm me or KP_Alaska

Glad to see all the new faces and some of the same old ones, jeeezz I think you guys get uglier and grumpier every year, LOL

Well I'm hoping this year is a better one than last for some of us. Not much action it seemed at times. I think we will have a blast this year and surely make a strong showing in the annual tourney so don't for get to sign up from the beginning of December to the end of the month or you will not be allowed to enter any fish. You will see the sign up in the General chit chat area. I will post on here when it opens and when it closes when we get closer. Any FNG's aka new guys have any questions just ask and wait for a reply if your unsure about anything.

Well tight lines and lets have fun and keep the mods off our backs on here.

Brad

PS will post some info on maybe going fishing this weekend locally and to Birch or Quartz on Tuesday for sure because of Veterans day many of us have off.

Offline Xanfly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #119 on: Nov 07, 2008, 02:17 PM »
Hello Guys!

I am just your typical 12 month out of the year Alaska fisherman. Hard, soft, flowing, salty, doesn't matter to me I am there. Haven't been on the ice yet this year but hopefully this weekend I will have a little time to get out there.

I live in Palmer so I do most of my ice fishing close by. Hoping to get up to Lake Louise or Long Lake for some lakers this year. I think this is my 4th year ice fishing so looking to expand my horizons.

Maybe see some of you guys out there!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.