Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Dec 2018 - Feb 6, 2018 North Central Iowa  (Read 936 times)

Offline DustBorne

• IceShanty Rookie
Dec 2018 - Feb 6, 2018 North Central Iowa
« on: Feb 06, 2019, 04:18 PM »
Hey all - Just throwing my experiences out there for the last couple months. I have caught zero keepers, and I'm hoping to get some conversation flowing so maybe we can help each other get on fish.

Crystal Lake: I have been out 5-6 times. I have caught a few VERY small yellow perch and LM bass on the sediment pond. I have caught a big ZERO fish on the main lake. I have fished shallow to deep, weeds, and basins, and have failed to even mark fish out there. I've tried the western, and northern bays, as well as the southern edge of the dredge cuts in 11-18 ft of water. I'm not sure where else to go. Maybe they are all on the East end, where the aerator is.

Clear Lake: I have only fished the little lake. Lots of small perch, a few small walleye, and a white bass. No yellows or crappie. Nothing keeper sized. I have fished shallow 7-8ft flats, 14 feet flats, and in 20 foot. Only place I was catching fish was in 14 feet of water, 2 foot off the bottom with Silver/Blue Kastmaster tipped with waxworms. I pulled in dink perch after dink perch after dink perch.

Are there any other places I should consider trying? I haven't heard much good about rice lake so far this year.

As I said, i'm not having much luck and just trying to get some conversation going on these areas.

Offline hotrod

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Dec 2018 - Feb 6, 2018 North Central Iowa
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2019, 11:18 AM »
As for Clear lake, venture out to the "Big Lake".  Has a lot of weeds worth looking at, also the pumphouse and baptist camps generally hold yellows.  Keep drilling and moving and you will find some sooner or later.
"I never go ice fishing without my Vexilar" ~Dave Genz
www.fishingwithtoddree d.com

Offline DustBorne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2019, 12:25 PM »
That's all I can do at this point XD. I drilled and fished a bunch on crystal lake at many depths this weekend and never marked a fish. Talked to some other guys out there, and they caught one small perch between the three of them.

Maybe I'll try the Big Lake part of clear lake next. Idk where the pumphouse is, but I do know where the baptist camp is. I'm not finding anything anywhere else, so it's worth a shot. Thanks!

Offline baogongmeo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2019, 12:44 PM »
The pump house is just east of the Baptist Camp.... look for a little squarish brick building with a gravel parking area.

Offline DustBorne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2019, 01:09 PM »
Thank you!

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:05 PM »
Thank you!

I e had some decent luck around baptist. Anywhere in the area can hold yellows and some walleye and of course some little tiny perch.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.