Author Topic: 1 lb tanks  (Read 6452 times)

Offline powdiddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • what is it ? its fighting like a submarine
1 lb tanks
« on: Feb 13, 2007, 02:47 PM »
i bought a buddy heater the other day and used up a couple of tanks. can you have them refilled or do you just toss them out.whats the best way to get rid of them when your done.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 1 lb tanks
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2007, 02:58 PM »
Your suppose to chuck'um but you can get a adapter at cabelas for ?$20? where you fill it off your 20lb tank.

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2007, 03:04 PM »
Just becareful refilling 1lb tanks, the seals in the tanks get weak after use. They tend to leak!

Offline FarginIcehole

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2007, 03:08 PM »
that dirty propane from the 20lb tanks clogged my lines over time on my buddy. the 1 lb tanks seem to burn a little cleaner.

Offline powdiddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2007, 03:16 PM »
will places like country propane fill the 1lb ers.

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2007, 03:22 PM »
that dirty propane from the 20lb tanks clogged my lines over time on my buddy. the 1 lb tanks seem to burn a little cleaner.
You can use the bigger tank, you just need to buy the filter assembly that Buddy Heater sells.  Oils build up in larger tanks over time, this is what is clogging your lines, not the propane itself.  I would use the
1 lb tanks, less weight to carry.
A bent rod is a good rod!

JJ

« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2007, 03:27 PM »
You can refill 1 lb tanks, but the DOT says you can't transport the refills in a vehicle.

Offline powdiddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2007, 03:34 PM »
what do i have to do bring it home on a horse.

Offline fishshack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2007, 03:36 PM »
what do i have to do bring it home on a horse.

LOL- Unless you have a dogsled team.

Offline Greenfield

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2007, 06:27 PM »
I forget what brand tank it was but I read this year on the side of it that there is up to a $500,000 fine for re-filling 1 lb tanks and transporting :o . With that said, put the tanks in the freezer, buy a hose and put the adapter on it. Take the tanks out of the freezer and hook them up to a 20lb (gas grill tank), it is hard to fill it back to 100%, unless you use the bleeder that is in the top next to the threaded part (not recomended).  But with the tank being froze it prevents the freezing cold propane from expanding resulting in a fuller tank.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2007, 06:42 PM »

Fargin,

Did you buy a line filter for the bigger cylander?  You are supposed to use a fliter on the larger bottles.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2007, 08:42 AM »
I got a 5 lb. tank from Amazon.com, the hose adaptor from the company that makes the heater & I have the best of both worlds, without all of the other problems.

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2007, 08:47 AM »
This may be a dumb question, but can you fill 20 1 lb tanks off of 1 20lb tank?

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2007, 08:48 AM »
I got a 5 lb. tank from Amazon.com, the hose adaptor from the company that makes the heater & I have the best of both worlds, without all of the other problems.

Are these available on a regular basis?
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline slabby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2007, 11:23 AM »
Just my 2 cents here but Gander mt. has 11lb propane tank cost like 6-7bucks to fill at Agway like stores usually lasts us a couple trips we take right out with us hookup heater  mr heater and we're sweating out there also saves me from picking up those little green tanks people seem to leave out there,they cost about 35bucks at gander and 1 season of not buying those 1lb tanks pays for itself.hope this helps someone.
Born To Fish Forced To Work

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2007, 12:12 PM »
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear about the 5 lb. tank. It is just like the 20 lb., just smaller. In other words, you buy it once & refill it at your local Agway / True Value, etc. Propane dealer.  I get about 30 hours out of one fill. And, since it is smaller / weighs less than a 20 lb. tank, it is easier to take on the ice. I stay out, sometimes, for the entire weekend, have a lot of gear to pull out on the ice & no 4 wheeler. So the 5 lb. tank is ideal.

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 16, 2007, 10:39 PM »
This may be a dumb question, but can you fill 20 1 lb tanks off of 1 20lb tank?
No, you will only get 15-17 refills off of a 20# tank. After that there is not enough pressure in the 20# tank to keep filling them. The refills will not be 100% full but it is alot cheaper than buying them all the time.

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2007, 08:12 AM »
Thanks, Slabby. I'll be looking into that.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline weels

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 18, 2007, 10:29 PM »
I forget what brand tank it was but I read this year on the side of it that there is up to a $500,000 fine for re-filling 1 lb tanks and transporting :o . With that said, put the tanks in the freezer, buy a hose and put the adapter on it. Take the tanks out of the freezer and hook them up to a 20lb (gas grill tank), it is hard to fill it back to 100%, unless you use the bleeder that is in the top next to the threaded part (not recomended).  But with the tank being froze it prevents the freezing cold propane from expanding resulting in a fuller tank.
[/quote

Harbor Freight has the adaptors cheap. I seem to remember them being < 5 bucks. Put the small bottles in the freezer for a while, screw the adaptor on the big tank and tighten, flip the big tank upside down outside on a bench and when the small ones are frosty, scew them on one at a time and listen. You can get them full. Sometimes the valves stick a little and you can flush 'em by pushing them down with a bic pen or something small. I save the plastic caps and put them back on each one after it's full. I put the filled ones aside as I'm filling them and if the caps come off then you know you got a leaker. Usually just purge it and recap it and it's good. If it leaks, hook it up to something you need a bottle on and at least it won't get wasted. I have a dozen or so bottles and I fill 'em up once a year.
-Weels
Fish heads, fish heads.
Rolie polie fish heads.
 Fish heads, fish heads, eat em' up.
Yum.

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those toothy critters!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 18, 2007, 11:55 PM »
I tried the adaptor, and I could only get certain brands of 1lb. tanks to refill.  I was using them on a cookstove, so I just bought the hose and now I run it off a 20#.  Anyone else find a difference between brands of 1lb. tanks?
"You can't catch 'em from your living room!"

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2007, 08:46 PM »
Been refilling them for years. No problems to date. As long as you put propane back into the propane cylinder they can't prove a thing. If you plan on using them in the summer be careful not to oberfill them. ( stove,lantern,heater while camping)If you do you will smell it. I always take 2 full on one on my Mister Heater. Never know how much you may use. Way cheaper than buying 1lbers. If you need spares the stae camp sites have plenty of empty ones laying around or you could just ask if they have some. Better than going to the land-fill. That way the seals will always be fresh................. ..
      Kim ;)2 ;)2 ;)2 ;)2 ;)2 ;)2 ;)2 ;)2 ;)2 ;)2 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline powdiddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 21, 2007, 08:11 AM »
well thanks guys.i might try to get them filled and see how that goes.then maybe get the bigger tank if it is a big pain.

Offline Medic118

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 21, 2007, 09:57 AM »
I need some advice. I bought the adapter to refill the small tanks and put them in the freezer for 1/2 hour. The 20lb tank was brought in and warmed to room tempature. I was unable to fill the tanks anywhere close to 1/4 to 1/2 full. Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those toothy critters!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 21, 2007, 10:13 AM »
I was unable to fill the tanks anywhere close to 1/4 to 1/2 full.

I had the same experience, except for Wenzel brand tanks, which filled with no trouble at all.  Never did figure it out, and the adapter sits in a drawer.
"You can't catch 'em from your living room!"

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 21, 2007, 02:01 PM »
I need some advice. I bought the adapter to refill the small tanks and put them in the freezer for 1/2 hour. The 20lb tank was brought in and warmed to room tempature. I was unable to fill the tanks anywhere close to 1/4 to 1/2 full. Any advice would be appreciated.
I would get them about the same temperature before I tried to refill them.  Your 20# has an internal check valve in it.  Since the 20# is warm and the 1# is cold, there is much more pressure in the 20#.  When you go to refill your 1#, it would start to go very fast, and the internal check thinks there is a leak in the downstream line and automatically shuts down (darn safety features).  This would be my best guess.  Good luck.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline Oz

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 21, 2007, 08:00 PM »
Like Slabby said, get a 4 or 11lb tank and a hose for Mr. Heater. Thay are great heaters
but the suck 1lb bottles down as you found out, and you will be very happy.

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
« Reply #26 on: Nov 30, 2007, 11:46 AM »

You are supposed to have the 20 lb tank upside down so that liquid propane fills the 1lb tank and not the expanded gas.  That usually is the step that people miss.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Nov 30, 2007, 11:56 AM »
Ive been thinking of filling my 5lb tank  from a 100 lb tank or my 40 lb tanks from camper   might go quicker and no wait between trips due to low propane levels in 5 lb tank   :)
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
« Reply #28 on: Nov 30, 2007, 12:08 PM »
Ive been thinking of filling my 5lb tank  from a 100 lb tank or my 40 lb tanks from camper   might go quicker and no wait between trips due to low propane levels in 5 lb tank   :)

Again, you would need to flip the tank over or pressurize it to get liquid propane into the 5 lb tank. 

Those 5 lb tanks are handy, aren't they?  I use mine for a grill I take in the camper.  One pound tanks don't last long enough for a week of grilling steaks.  :)

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Nov 30, 2007, 01:19 PM »
Again, you would need to flip the tank over or pressurize it to get liquid propane into the 5 lb tank. 

Those 5 lb tanks are handy, aren't they?  I use mine for a grill I take in the camper.  One pound tanks don't last long enough for a week of grilling steaks.  :)
ohh I know that
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.