Author Topic: "sunflower" propane heater  (Read 5397 times)

Offline saskman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • team CanAm
"sunflower" propane heater
« on: Jan 29, 2007, 10:15 PM »
I am starting to build a portable this one as a matter of fact http://home.cogeco.ca/~charrons/default.htm
would there be a problem with CO if I am using one of these sunflower heaters, I will have a vent hole above the door and was thinking of putting another on the lower part of the door, I am just worried because I fish with my 2 young boys.....
go to taxidermy, mount it on the wall

Offline saskman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • team CanAm
Re: "sunflower" propane heater
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2007, 05:35 AM »
anybody?

Offline Hoss5355

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2007, 07:06 AM »
The only way to be positive would be to buy a Co2 detector and hang put it inside to check it out.  For the difference in money, I would just buy a Buddy heater that has the auto shut off if the Co2 gets too bad.  I don't think that it is worth getting sick, or even worse, over the little bit of money, and then you have the piece of mind knowing you all are safe.   

I just broke down and bought a Buddy heater this year due to the fact that we are expecting our first little one here in a couple months.  I guess the older I get, the more I realize there will be someone wanting me to be around a little longer.  I don't want my carelessness to be my demise....

Offline saskman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • team CanAm
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2007, 08:56 AM »
thank you for that info I think I will search around for a buddy heater thats on sale

Offline DRabbit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2007, 06:48 PM »
I have always used a sunflower type heater when portable fishing, and have never had any noticable problems. As long as your not sealed up in there for long periods of time it should be fine. More than likely you will be going in and out the door periodically anyway, plus you already have vents. Just be remember to get a little fresh air in once in a while and you wont have any problems.

Offline KGrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2007, 03:17 AM »
The Buddy heaters DO NOT have anything to protect you from Carbon Monoxide!  They do have a low oxygen shutoff.

For ventilation this is what the manufacture reccomends;

From the manual for the Mr. Buddy.
This heater requires a vent area of 9 square inches
(example 3” x 3” opening) minimum for adequate
ventilation during operation. Do not use other fuel
burning appliances inside.

From the manual for the Big Buddy.
This heater requires a vent area of 18 square inches
(example 4 1/4” x 4 1/4” opening) minimum for adequate
ventilation during operation. Do not use other
fuel burning appliances inside.

When used without adequate combustion and
ventilation air, this heater may give off excessive
CARBON MONOXIDE, an odorless, poisonous gas.

I have a Carbon Monoxide detector in my shack.

Offline Yellow Belly

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't horse 'em
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2007, 06:42 AM »
Hi Saskman,

I'm glad someone is getting some use out of those plans. I just had the shanty out yesterday for the first time in two years and it was great. I am know thinking about a new design without the floor but with some type of folding spreader poles that stay attached to the sides to cut down a little more on the weight. I just found that when pulling it on the sled through thicker snow it is rough pulling but if you are on bare ice it will beat you to the hole! :o Maybe if I had some wax on the skis it would help.

As for the heater. I use a Mr Buddy and it sits right in the middle between the 4 holes. It works great and I have not had any problems so far. The back will also stay cool so you can put it closer to the tarp. One thing about the sunflower type is that they kick off a lot more heat and I have had a couple of circumstances where you're pulling up a lunker and your line accidentally touches the heater and whoops! there it goes.  :'(

Anyways, I hope this helps, If you have any questions regarding the shanty please feel free to ask. It's a good project. Let the boys help you out and it should only take a couple days.

Stay tuned for the next version.  ;)

Offline Hoss5355

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2007, 07:09 AM »
FarmerGrant, thanks for the heads up.  I guess I was misunderstood about the carbon monoxide thing.  I just assumed I guess that if the low oxygen thing shut off, then the carbon monoxide was taking the place of the oxygen in the shack. 

I'll pay more attention of the vents in the shack this year.  I'll definitely make sure we have plenty.  Thanks again..

Kevin

Offline Flagtailhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2007, 11:11 AM »
saskman, I have a sunflower heater for my portable.  The label states that it requires 12 sq. inches of fresh air.  Mine throws all the heat I need.  We will usually just leave the door on the flip up completely open with the heater in the doorway and this is enough to take the chill off.  If we really need to warm up we close the door partially leaving much more than the stated 12 sq. inches and the heat is more than enough.  That said, with kids around, I would make your vents permanent so that they are not closed accidently.  Good luck with your project.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.