Author Topic: New to N. Idaho looking for Pike  (Read 947 times)

Offline ForestGuy88

• IceShanty Rookie
New to N. Idaho looking for Pike
« on: Jan 10, 2017, 06:18 PM »
Hey guys, moved to Coeur d'Alene in May and did quite a bit of bass fishing and pike fishing on the local lakes during summer and fall. Now that its winter I'm looking for information on good lakes and places to catch pike through the ice. Anything helps, thanks!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: New to N. Idaho looking for Pike
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2017, 06:36 PM »
My guess is 134 pages on North Idaho Ice is/was overwhelming but, it's loaded with info on pike.

It's not easy to set parameters for a search but, watch for numbers in the range of this link in a search result to find info.

The link:  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=64932.2660

Offline ForestGuy88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2017, 06:54 PM »
Yeah its a little overwhelming and I was hoping to see some recent info but wasn't really finding it. Oh well, I'll just keep sifting through it all until i find something good :) Thanks!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2017, 07:07 PM »
And, by all means, keep checking here.  When the folks come off the ice they often come here with tales of the day.     :thumbsup:

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:52 AM »
Welcome to Coeur d'Alene!  Where did you move from? 

For somewhere close, Hayden Lake can be good for pike.  I've been out there twice this season though without any luck.  Last year I did alright.  Seems like it's hit and miss.  It's also very popular.

Otherwise, Fernan, Upper Twin, Rose, Medicine, Thompson, Cave, Killarney, Chatcolet all have pike.   I think the catch rates are slower on Fernan and Upper Twin (but good places to catch perch while you're waiting for a flag).  Word on the street though is a 28lb pike came out of upper twin a couple weeks ago. I've never fished Thompson or Chatcolet but hear they're both good for pike.

Offline Vandal78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2017, 11:15 AM »
DEER4DINNER basically covered most of the good places, just pick one and go try it out. Wherever there are holes people were either fishing for pike or perch. I would try some of the spots you fished in summer and fall if they have ice. Good luck.

Offline IceChatter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2017, 11:57 AM »
If you are looking for flags pop...Killarney is a good bet.  It's rare to not see at least some action out there.  Of course the trade-off is that I haven't iced anything big yet.   They are in there though, I saw a guy catch a really nice pike out there two years ago.

Offline ForestGuy88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2017, 10:02 PM »
Thanks for the tips everyone! I moved here from Missoula in May. Did a lot of ice fishing over there but always had to travel a ways for sub par pike fishing so its nice to now live in a place with so many fishing opportunities!

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2017, 10:02 AM »
I took a drive into Killarney last weekend.  Unfortunately the water is really low.  Where people typically fish in the bay right out from the boat launch is mud colored ice.  I think you'd have to walk a ways to get into deep enough water.

If you are looking for flags pop...Killarney is a good bet.  It's rare to not see at least some action out there.  Of course the trade-off is that I haven't iced anything big yet.   They are in there though, I saw a guy catch a really nice pike out there two years ago.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.