Author Topic: Trophy Strike 120 volt Auger....  (Read 13446 times)

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Trophy Strike 120 volt Auger....
« on: Jan 19, 2018, 10:47 AM »
I received my 120 volt Li Ion auger via UPS just a few minutes ago. (Friday morning)

Guess I'll start from the beginning:

I spoke via phone to Trophy Strike (Nick) Monday afternoon and ordered one of their 120 volt 8 inch augers, did not specify express or priority shipping and it went from their office in Colorado to upstate NY via UPS in approximately 3.5 days time, well within (in my opinion) an expected ship time for standard ground.

Box came through undamaged, well taped shut and heavy cardboard.  Opening the box it's obvious they expect whatever service is transporting these units to give them a little rough handling, this auger is packed solidly with no room for jostling around once the form fit styrofoam packaging is in place.

Took off the top half of styrofoam and found all components of the auger protected again, this time with a bubble wrap material and the 120 volt battery was packed inside a material that reminded me of a cardboard egg container.  The only item not protected with a second layer was the battery bag and was really unnecessary anyway.  The bottom half of the styrofoam packing is a mirror image of the top.

The auger assembly itself appears to be a baked on powder coat finish in the flights and centering ring.  The blade guard supplied with the unit covers the entire bottom, and up the sides an inch or so.  The guard is held in place with those black rubber "knobbed" bungees.

The blades are razor sharp, well secured (I checked) to the auger itself, and while I did not see any country of origin on these blades, what I did notice what that they did NOT have the all too familiar "Made in China" stamping.

The power head assembly is solidly built, good ergonomic controls (and all nicely marked) , nice foam padding covering the portions of the handles that are not grasped with your hands while drilling.  I saw no indications of flaws or scratches on the unit that may have occurred during manufacture.  Controls are designed to be manipulated with heavy gloves with ease.

The battery is big, and solidly built, using Samsung cells for the power source.  It has a very secure positive placement latch to hold the battery in the unit during use, no rubber strap is required to keep it from falling out.  Nice big latch release to remove the battery from the auger, again so it can be manipulated wearing heavy gloves.

Securing the flighting to the power head was easily enough accomplished with the large allen head bolt provided, along with the proper size allen wrench.  NOTE:  as with all augers that have this type of attachment point, after I snug down the bolt, I take a couple wraps of electrical tape around it in case the bolt loosens up during use, that was a lesson learned the hard way a few years ago.  However this may or may not be necessary as the fitting of the bolt to the threads is nice and tight.

The auger extension looks exactly like an auger extension should, not much explanation required there.

Overall, at this point the unit looks great, will be fully charging the battery this afternoon once it warms up and take it to the ice for it's trial run tomorrow, will be following up with ice conditions, holes drilled, ice thickness, battery expenditure, etc.  Pretty sure this auger is going to give the other electric units a run for their money once people start seeing these on the ice.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: Trophy Strike 120 volt Auger....
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2018, 01:36 PM »
 :thumbsup:  Nice write up,  hope it works well.

Offline Gills4me

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2018, 04:57 PM »
mine was packed like that 2 I have mine since January 5 well first 1 auger fell off down the hole.they sent me new blades only to use it today the handle with the control knobs broke still waiting for them to call me back....... so excited when I got it right now im not to happy with it mine is the 2017 model hope urs holds up for u

Offline Gills4me

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:35 PM »
just heard from trophy strike...had to send pictures of the damage  they'll send a complete power head  { just the handles cant be fixed}so they will asset the damage n go from there...I will let you know how it goes

Offline Gills4me

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:20 PM »
oops my other post......the  1 auger blade fell off which they replaced for free n had them within 4 days. so them made good on that

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2018, 03:07 PM »
Today was the first trip to the ice for the Trophy Strike.

The battery was room temperature when I put it in the tote in the back of the truck, ambient air temp was 35 degrees.

It traveled to the bait shop and then to the ice in that same tote, approximately one hour.

This auger is very quiet.

Started drilling holes, did a total of 33 this morning in good hard black ice between 14 and 16 inches thick.

The blades performed, they require no down pressure at all except the weight of the auger to drill through hard ice quickly, with NO binding or catching as it starts breaking through to water.

Checked the auger over once I got home this afternoon, all bolts are still tight, the nylock nuts do their job.

In total, drilled 33 holes at an average of 15 inches of solid black ice, for a total of 495 inches, or 41.25 feet.

After drilling, the battery was still at a solid 3/4's capacity remaining.

I left this auger and battery sitting in the shade on the ice today just to see what it would read at days end and it was still at 3/4's charge.

Zero issues with this auger today whatsoever.

Offline Gills4me

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2018, 04:44 PM »
that's great news mine is the 2017 model...........is urs the 2018 model?

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2018, 04:57 PM »
that's great news mine is the 2017 model...........is urs the 2018 model?

Yes...

Offline Gills4me

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2018, 06:55 PM »
just heard  from trophystrike should have a new power head in 3 to 5 daysgreat to know they treat their customers right.well even better I was just hoping to get it fixed........only the handle broke but their sending a complete powerhead...I take my hat off to them

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2018, 03:07 PM »
Another trip to the ice today.

Drilled 35 holes through 16 inches of solid black ice.

Temp this morning, 11 degrees, battery sat in this temp for about an hour again this morning before drilling.

Temps warmed up to around 34 by afternoon, battery was left (intentionally) on the auger, laying within a foot of the ice.

Before leaving this afternoon, having already drilled 32 holes in morning, picked up auger and drilled 3 holes through the 16 inches of ice in 28 seconds...

560 inches of ice, 46.6 feet, battery at 3/4 charge remaining.

Offline Gills4me

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2018, 03:35 PM »
got the replacement powerhead today took down to my pond to test it.worked great gonna use it tomorrow on beltzville

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2018, 05:00 AM »
mine was packed like that 2 I have mine since January 5 well first 1 auger fell off down the hole.they sent me new blades only to use it today the handle with the control knobs broke still waiting for them to call me back....... so excited when I got it right now im not to happy with it mine is the 2017 model hope urs holds up for u

I heard those horror stories...I still use my lil drill....
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline Gills4me

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2018, 04:27 PM »
used it today on beltzyville......worke d great no issues at all with this 1 cuts smooth very little ice to scoop out the holes didn't even have to use reverse.....battery still shows full charge left in it.......very pleased with it.... n like esox said no downware pressure needed just let it do its own work

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2018, 06:41 PM »
Started out at minus 12 degrees here this morning when I loaded the truck, battery was left (intentionally) in my tote along with jig poles and chow.

Stayed like this until I got it out to the ice to drill, about 1.5 hours.

Drilled 30 holes to begin with through 14 inches of hard black ice.

This afternoon, a couple guys came along and set up next to us, I volunteered to drill their holes for them, temp had warmed up to around 20 degrees with a 15 mph or so wind, had left battery in auger (again, intentionally) and covered sitting near the ice.

Punched 14 holes for them, again through the same 14 inches of black ice.

Battery was still at 3/4 charge upon completion.

44 holes= 616 inches of ice, or 51.3 feet.

Next two trips out, battery will not be charged in between trips, going to see what this thing will do when it's only got a 3/4 charge to begin with and I punch 30-45 holes or more.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2018, 07:28 PM »
Sounds great.
<===Lefty===

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2018, 07:36 PM »
Sounds great.

Forgot to mention the other day on my findings, this auger is punching an 8 inch hole through 16 inches of hard black ice in 8 seconds...my buddy says it'll absolutely smoke his ION...

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2018, 07:43 PM »
Sounds like what the Nero will do. 2" a second. Pretty cool.
<===Lefty===

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2018, 10:07 PM »
Reviews of this auger does show that it does drill faster than the ION, but the new ION battery does last longer than the Strike Master's battery, but when you get 2 batteries, it is hard to see anything wrong with this.  Curious to see long term how it holds up.  Believe it should do well with the Strike Master's name on it.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:15 AM »
Not me or my vid, but saw this posted and thought I'd post it here on this thread also...these really are great augers..

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=357094.0;topicseen

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2018, 12:41 PM »
Reviews of this auger does show that it does drill faster than the ION, but the new ION battery does last longer than the Strike Master's battery, but when you get 2 batteries, it is hard to see anything wrong with this.  Curious to see long term how it holds up.  Believe it should do well with the Strike Master's name on it.

I absolutely love my strikemaster auger, havent needed the second battery. Drills like a champ. I also am interested how its gonna hold up long term.

So far so good
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline jigapoolza

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2018, 02:49 PM »
So this thread started talking about trophy strike and now people are talking about strikemaster . These are two different augers are they not?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2018, 03:00 PM »
Maybe I missed it , but what does that outfit weigh ?

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2018, 03:12 PM »
Maybe I missed it , but what does that outfit weigh ?

22 pounds..

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2018, 03:12 PM »
So this thread started talking about trophy strike and now people are talking about strikemaster . These are two different augers are they not?

Yes.

Offline jigapoolza

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 08, 2018, 07:21 AM »
That's what I thought, thanks

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline Gills4me

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 08, 2018, 05:08 PM »
ok I just weighed mine....powerhead n auger is 22pounds.......battery came in at 3pounds  so mine came in at 25 pounds n I don't think my wife set the scale that it shows more then it or her weighs

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 09, 2018, 07:03 AM »
ok I just weighed mine....powerhead n auger is 22pounds.......battery came in at 3pounds  so mine came in at 25 pounds n I don't think my wife set the scale that it shows more then it or her weighs

Just checked their page, and it's saying 25 pounds for the complete auger with battery...they must have updated, swore it said 22 pounds but I could have been mistaken...will change my original post accordingly..

Offline Gills4me

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 09, 2018, 03:58 PM »
even at 25 pounds it seems so much lighter then my gas powered 1.........I will never go back to gas again........... I know I probably will never need it but I thinking maybe for the next ice fishing season maybe buying another battery so far I drilled enough holes for two guys 3 trips n still a lil left in  it

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 09, 2018, 04:21 PM »
Just checked their page, and it's saying 25 pounds for the complete auger with battery...they must have updated, swore it said 22 pounds but I could have been mistaken...will change my original post accordingly..

Per Trophy Strike(Powerhead, battery, auger) weight is as follow: 

2017 (120V) is 25.2lb

2018 (120V) is 23lb

Appreciate all the reviews.... likely be my next purchase!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.