Author Topic: Pickled Pike Texture - A Bit Chewy?  (Read 2497 times)

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
Pickled Pike Texture - A Bit Chewy?
« on: Dec 27, 2018, 04:11 PM »
I just broke the seal on my first ever batch of pickled pike, and was curious if a pretty firm chewy texture is normal.  I didn’t really know what to expect, as I’d never pickled pike before.  The flavor is fantastic, way better than any pickled herring I’ve ever had.  My method as follows:

1. Catch a pike.  Mine in this case was 27” long
2. Fillet pike, leaving in Y-Bones.
3. Freeze pike fillet chunks for a minimum of 48 hours.
4. Thaw pike chunks, and brine in salt water in refrigerator for 2 days, using large glass mason jar.
5. Drain brine and add white vinegar, put back in fridge for 3 days.
6. Drain vinegar and add red onion, seeded jalapeños, & pickling liquid. (2 parts white vinegar 1 part sugar, with pickling spice)  Let sit for 5 days in fridge.
7. Eat on crackers.

I ended up with 2 quart jars of pickled pike using a 27” fish, about 3/4 of a red onion, and 3 jalapeños.  I made a pickling solution batch that was 4c of vinegar and 2c of sugar, with 2 tablespoons of premixed pickling spices.

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pickled Pike Texture - A Bit Chewy?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2018, 05:04 PM »
Should be firm

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2018, 07:51 PM »
Exact way i do chain pickerel. Usually firm and slightly chewy. Only difference is i use cider vinegar for end solution
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline crappeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2018, 08:28 PM »
I do 1 to 1 sugar and vinegar. Otherwise the same recipe. Usually do bluegills and crappies. Always refrigerated. Gets better the longer you wait!

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2018, 04:15 PM »
That looks super easy, I love me some pickled fish

Offline greenbulldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2018, 04:31 PM »
When I've had pickled pike it was always pretty firm, I have never made it myself though, plan on it this winter. 
Quick question though, I was told by my buddy that it's important to freeze the fillets for a few days before pickling to kill the bacteria or something in it that pickling itself doesnt.  Is he pulling my leg?

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2018, 05:01 PM »
No hes not, thats the way to do it.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2018, 07:48 PM »
When I've had pickled pike it was always pretty firm, I have never made it myself though, plan on it this winter. 
Quick question though, I was told by my buddy that it's important to freeze the fillets for a few days before pickling to kill the bacteria or something in it that pickling itself doesnt.  Is he pulling my leg?

He’s actually speaking of tapeworm larvae.  Yes, I did freeze them for a few days before doing anything else.  Original post modified to reflect.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2018, 08:01 PM »
I do 1 to 1 sugar and vinegar. Otherwise the same recipe. Usually do bluegills and crappies. Always refrigerated. Gets better the longer you wait!

I’ve heard crappie doesn’t do well pickled, rumor has it they get mushy.  How’s the consistency of yours?

Offline greenbulldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2018, 08:48 PM »
Thanks, guess I could have googled it, lots of info around. 

But boy that looks good.  Never thought about adding jalapenos, that's a good idea.  I eat sardines sometimes that have them in there and it adds a lot to them.  Will definitely do that.

Offline DB Cooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2018, 06:26 AM »
If you boiled the pickling mixture... make sure the pickling mixture is cold (not warm) before adding to jar. Important.

Offline crappeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2018, 10:20 AM »
No problem with mushy crappies.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2018, 10:53 AM »
I soak mine in the brine for 24 hrs then in vinegar 24 hrs ...make your pickling solution and boil ..let cool then add to jars I use brown sugar and apple cider vinergar ..add onion, red and yellow peppers for color otherwise it looks like an 8th grade science experiment color wise..I never use to freeze the fish but read about the worms and now freeze it .

http://in-fisherman.com/editorial/fishermans-pickled-fish/154096
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.