Author Topic: custom/personal tip-up light setups...  (Read 3472 times)

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
custom/personal tip-up light setups...
« on: Oct 10, 2012, 05:07 AM »

Came across these...

Look like good ideas.  Might be fun to make a couple this weekend?

Looks realy easy----> 

This is my favorite.  Might try and add to LED bulbs to the inside of marker.  + a sound alarm.  hahaha

Not my favorite.  But lots of light!!!  -- >

Thoughts?
Ideas?
Experiance?

Thanks bros.

Offline MegaRam

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: custom/personal tip-up light setups...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2012, 07:39 PM »
Wow, I really like the first one.. and the third one.... Second one is above my skill level.  I will definitly be getting some lights on my tipups this year.

Thanks for putting the links up. :tipup:
Everyone needs to believe in something,
I believe
I'LL GO FISHING

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2012, 08:06 PM »
I wanna do the third one!  How and what are those
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline icyveins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2012, 08:16 PM »
I will be posting pics of the ones I am building on saturday!  :thumbsup:
if it is to be its up to me!

Offline legerski82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2012, 06:10 PM »
Does anyone know how to make the third ones.  Or what they are made out of.  Thanks!

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2012, 08:38 AM »
 I like the first ones, but would like to figure a better way of attaching magnet, but, where on earth in Menards would these lights be? our Menards is so big, that after walking aroun for a couple of hours, I found a Meijers store inside it, but i do like the lights I tried doing something like this with window alarms, some worked ,some did not, some would not turn on, some would not turn off, purchased at $ store, (might be the prob.)

Offline GillMaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Kills the Gills
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2012, 07:13 PM »
I'm also liking the first one. But am with ^^above^^ on a better way to attach the magnet.

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2012, 09:25 PM »
Does anyone know what the third ones are?   Like the durability of those lights.

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2012, 01:46 PM »
on the first one, where in Menards would these be found? what department, or what was their real use made for?

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2012, 09:54 PM »
I bought my alarams like these ones @ the dollar store.
2 for $1. batteries included
i also bought these alarms with the light feature like in the video, 1 for $1

Offline Ty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2012, 11:06 PM »
the third one looks rather easy to make if you brake it down part wise

looks like it used something like this for light
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Life-Gear-LG117-Life-Gear-4-in-1-LED-Glow-Stick-Flashlight/20531096

then its all just enclosed in a small project box from radio shack, but im sure something from conduit fitting section of the hardware store could be used instead
http://www.hiviz.com/kits/project_boxes.htm

then im assuming the light stick is taken apart and the batteries are relocated in the box, with the negative wire wrapping around the base of the spring, and then the positive wire runs to the light and then from the light to the top piece of metal you can see on the top of the project box, and when the flag goes up it makes the connection, and gives you light.

it also looks like they used something like this mounted on the project box with the male end mounted onto the actual light stick so that you can take the light off for transport and storage or just to change out light colors.
http://www.dhgate.com/p-ff8080812f5756ce012f817275b0212b.html?utm_source=GMC&utm_medium=Adwords&utm_campaign=santi&utm_term=99397818&f=bm|99397818||GMC|Adwords||santi|QL||&gclid=CNKw0vbAgrQCFQVgMgodgh0A9g

Im sure someone could figure it all out pretty quick and even put together a kit for tip-ups if there were enough people interested, haha

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2012, 01:54 AM »
Walmart has/had some LED lights for inside a cooler, but I didn't pay much attention, I wonder if they would work. I'll look in the next couple days and let you know if I find any.

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2012, 02:19 AM »
Just found this, same concept the other guy used. They're As seen on TV www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcR7VpzCjjQ

For sale @ Big Lots. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?175963-Quik-Brite-small-area-lights-at-Big-Lots!

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline fcfcadd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2012, 03:32 PM »
You know I just had a thought on this concept. How about using the door alarm version of these magnetic types so you can not only see your flag go up but can also hear it. You know just in case you don't see the flag you at least could hear one going off or if you see one go off but another behind you goes off again or if your tending one and another goes off that you didn't see you could hear it. Just a thought.

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2012, 09:24 PM »
yes the door alarm and light combo would work great
perfect for nights in the shanty

Offline skinnyb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2013, 04:47 PM »
I use the door lights all the time on mine when night fishing. they are excellent. Have had them out in -10 or so, the batteries still work and the lights shine brightly.

My only advice would be to have them at the base of the flag. I use a piece of the plastic packaging from the door lights (aka, drawer lights, whatever, you get the idea), and velcro a rectangle down to the tip up, then use the adhesive strip on the back of the light to fix it in place. then use garden or florist wire to attach the magnet to the flag, near the spring. Flag goes up, light comes on, easily seen out the window of the shanty.

I have a friend who took one of mine, removed the plastic "lens" from the light, and shoved the LED into an empty blue highlighter. The light was more dim, but it got the light above the snow, and you cannot mistake that color (or pink, or highlighter green or yellow) for anything else while on the ice. I'll give it to him that it was a good idea, but i like the reflective lens better, it is brighter, and, let's face it, requires less effort.

Thanks, and good luck
Mike
The fish wouldn't get in trouble if it could just learn to keep its fool mouth shut.

There's a lot I could learn from the fish.

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2013, 05:59 PM »
I got mine made.
Easier then any of these ones.  Literally 1 min. to put together.
$1 each.
Will post pics and video soon

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2013, 10:54 PM »
I still have two lights I rigged up with Christmas lights and burglar alarms. If you have a Dollar Tree in your area sometimes they have 'closet lights' that are perfect, usually in the same aisle as clothes hangers, I bought out all the ones on the hook once hehe. You can get them on Ebay too, some in packs of three, usually called 'closet lights' or 'drawer lights'.

The only draw back to using closet lights instead of the altered burglar alarms is they don't have on/off switches so you have to separate/remove the batteries with cold fingers when you're packing up, or have the lights on until you get home and mess with them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.