Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake of the hills  (Read 982 times)

Offline JOEFISH ICEMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake of the hills
« on: Jan 08, 2018, 09:21 PM »
How's the ice and has anyone had any luck? Thinking about going this weekend. Gonna b n davenport this weekend any other places n davenport that r good?
Dirty Midwest fishing

Offline silverado23

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake of the hills
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2018, 08:51 AM »
I was out there Saturday.  The area close to the boat ramp along 280 was 7" however I tried to cross over and quickly ran into thin ice of 2" towards the south east.  Be careful and check the ice frequently.   

Offline RGR175

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2018, 04:30 PM »
Between 6" and 7" of ice is what I ran into on Lambach lake just above Lake of the Hills on the side next to 280. Me and the kids got 7 blue gills and about 4 bass in about 12' - 15' depth on Sunday around noon.

Regarding the SE section of the boat ramp on Lake of the Hills, last year I noticed that the last part to freeze up was this area. If you head straight east from the start of the rocky pier (where it meets the shore), once you get to the curve of the shore that heads out to boat ramp, that area must have some warmer water flow that makes that section freeze last. When I found 8-10" in other areas on the lake, that area was around 6".

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2018, 11:17 PM »
You might be better off going to lost grove in terms of number and quality of fish

Catchin' Fish

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2018, 03:17 PM »
Lake of the hills has springs in it from the last lake update they did. There are a couple straight out from the first point south of the ramp in the center, then a couple right smack in the middle of the main portion of the lake. The geese use these spots and keep it open late into the season, I'm surprised there was even 2" there. I won't cross that lake unless we have a very cold year, and even then its thin in the middle. Not worth it anyways, just full of a bunch of lost grove fish (8-9" crappies) but I did catch some bigger white crappies in lake of the hills while messing around this last summer. A few 11-12" and one 14.5". Lambach and railroad have nice crappies.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline silverado23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2018, 06:53 AM »
Good to know about the springs just more reason to check ice often even if the weather has been cold.  Is there parking/access to the lake of the hills from one of the southern entrances?

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2018, 09:13 AM »
yes you can park and walk down to the lake from the 1st road after the campground off 110th

Catchin' Fish

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2018, 03:04 PM »
You can park by the road down at gate 6 and access the southern finger. They have the road closed where last entrance to the old trailer park is so you will have to park on the road. As long as you don't block the gate, the rangers don't care. Can't block the gate fully incase there is an emergency and they have to get a truck through there. They DO NOT salt road, just sand.. so be careful after this freezing rain we just got, its downhill all the way to the gate with only one turnaround area. If you are trying to access the main point on the SE side of the middle of the lake, that is the way I would go. Hug the eastern shoreline right along the bank.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline silverado23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2018, 01:59 PM »
Thanks for the access and parking info.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.