The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Tip Ups?  (Read 758 times)

Offline Mtwolfer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tip Ups?
« on: Jan 28, 2017, 10:48 AM »
 :tipup: was fishing with a friend who uses the round polar? tip ups and I use the old wooden style , we were fishing close to each other using the same bait on a really sunny day and he really out fished me, so the question is do you think the hole being covered up helps? His black ones did better than the orange ones. I think I need to make some hole covers?

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Tip Ups?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2017, 07:17 PM »
It might.  My only issue with the round ones is if you do a overnight soak when it's cold they freeze in so bad takes 5 min with a spud bar to get em out and you still have 10lbs of ice stuck to them....  other than that I really like them and for shallow sets it definitely might make a difference some days.

Offline Rengum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2017, 11:20 AM »
find some old conveyor belt it works great for hole covers, very inexpensive!

Offline Luvinfishun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2017, 07:27 AM »
Don’t know the answer if covering the hole for darkness works or not.  Once we had to chip our tip outs out of the ice and broke a couple.  We then went to Lowe’s and bought heavier floor matting and cut our own.  Saved us a bundle compared to the store bought. 

Offline hoofer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2017, 08:13 AM »
mtwolfer,it might have been just bad luck.i have used wooden tip ups for years without covering the hole seams to work fine.not much light gets through a 8-10 inch hole and besides a person uses flood lights,lanterns etc when night fishing.maybe next time you will out fish your buddy.
fish till it hurts then fish some more

Offline Old Man Winter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2017, 08:18 AM »
Sometimes they work better and sometimes they dont, in my experience.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.