The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: butte area  (Read 797 times)

Offline cjwalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
  • tight lines!
butte area
« on: Feb 17, 2009, 09:43 PM »
Where would anyone recomend taking a couple kids ice-fishing in the Butte area (within 50 miles or so)?  Perch, trout, anything, would just like to get them in to some fish.
Thanks!

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: butte area
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2009, 11:24 PM »
Georgetown is a great lake.  I grew up on that lake.  Lots of rainbows and kokes.  I always used maggots, corn, and row. 

Ruby Reservior is also great.  Lots of 12in rainbows and i have never been skunked there.  Jigs and maggots. 

Both are safe bets for catching fish and should have no prob gettin the kids into fish.  The Ruby might be a little far away

Offline waterloo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2009, 07:25 PM »
I just fished Delmo for the first time ever last weekend and did great for cutthroat up to 16 inches.  I hear reports of much bigger cuts in the lake.  You will probably have to drive in from the Pipestone side.  You will probably also want a four drive wheel vehicle as the road is hard snow packed and pretty slick, especially with these warmer temps.  Fish the rocks at the parking lot, or head across the lake towards the dam and fish in any water between 6 and 20 foot deep.  I tip all my jigs with maggots, but my friend also uses worms, and both seemed to work, although most fish took the maggots.  Even if you don't catch any fish, its a pretty place to take the kids for the day.  If they get bored, they can always play around in the forest at the lakes edge.

Hope the kids have fun if you make it over there.

Offline cjwalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
  • tight lines!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2009, 10:18 PM »
Thanks guys, I hit georgtown earlier this year, and caught a couple small ones, and tried delmo once last summer with no luck.  How much slush is on top of the ice?  I'm still pretty new to the area, so any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanx again!

Offline waterloo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2009, 07:21 PM »
If you are asking about slush on Delmo Lake, there was none last week.  With the warm temps, I can't say if this is the case this week or not.  IF you do go over, try along the rocky shoreline opposite side of the lake of the parking lot, and towards the dam.  I fished about 25 feet off shore, which is about 8 foot of water.  My friend was a little further out in about 20 feet and did almost as well as me.

Good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.