The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Great Falls Area(willing to drive 120 miles)  (Read 1377 times)

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Great Falls Area(willing to drive 120 miles)
« on: Feb 13, 2009, 10:39 PM »
I love fishing for everything, I have my possession limit of many fish so this is for fun, not necessarily looking for eaters.. What lakes would you guys recommend for good action?  I'm not looking for hand outs of specific spots by any means(unless you want to offer  ;D).. but I'm deploying soon so I want to try some new areas be I go, I usually fish Holter, have fished Pishkun and Tiber also.  I have a Tacoma and no 4 wheeler so it's my feet and sled to get around.

Offline jimmerjammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Great Falls Area(willing to drive 120 miles)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2009, 11:00 PM »
i recently started fishing at georgetown lake, and that place is awesome!!! Lots of kokanee,... no limit, and rainbows, brookies, and there are even a few lake trout in there. the brookies arn't little guys thought, they get big in there, over 5 lbs. Put it this way, every time i have gotten there early, i have had an action packed morning, but i never do good in the afternoon.  Some of the trout in there are monsters, and it is a beautiful scenic place with a legitimate chance at big fish, so far my biggest was a 26 1/2 in rainbow that broke my pole!! Many of the fish are not far under the ice, so if your shack is dark, you can watch the fish attack your lure, i call it a poor man's aqua-view. I have seen some big fish just below me, way over 30 inches. I am not sure how far it is from great falls, but i would recomend staying overnigt in anaconda so you are sure so make the early kok bite before sunrise. rooms there are pretty cheap. i am relatively new to montana, so i can't say this is the lake of all montana lakes, but so far this has been my favorite. If you are interested in going one weekend, e-mail me and there is a good chance i will be going.  I pretty much fish there or Canyon Ferrry on the weekends, and a little lake south of Bozeman called hyalite during the week. If you ever spend time in bozeman, hyalite is a pretty decent lake. awesome scenery, fairly good fishing (hit or miss), and nice sized cutthrout trout. I don't think it is worthy of traveling to specificly to ice fish, but georgetown definatley is.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2009, 11:05 PM »
Thanks man, I stayed in Anaconda over labor day for a hiking trip to Helena.  Pretty good rates for sure.  How do you fish Kokes?

Offline jimmerjammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2009, 03:06 PM »
you have to be there before sunset!!!!! i have never caught one after 11:00, i am sure they bite later, but not as heavy or in as big of schools. Pretty much just a tiny jig and maggots, about four to 8 feet under the ice. I have noticed that light line really makes a difference. some guys like to chum with corn, but i am not a fan since it makes using my vexilar quite confusing. most of the time you can see them right under the ice if you have a dark shack. i checked mapquest and anaconda is 177 miles from great falls, so it is a little further than you'd like. do you ever fish at peck?

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2009, 07:36 PM »
177 is doable, I don't mind driving further for good fishing, 120 was a rough estimate.  I've never fished peck but I would love to, it's just too much water and I don't have a 4 wheeler or any idea about where to start.

Offline hunterdan1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2009, 01:39 PM »
jimmerjammer do you walk out or do you have a 4 wheeler.I would like to catch some kokanee I never caught one before I herd they are good to eat.I been wanting to go to Georgetown's lake but I haven't been there yet.

Offline kwil226

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2009, 08:19 PM »
No need for a four wheeler, there is a road around most of the lake with multiple access spots. Try Dentons or comers points or philipsburg bay. Also right next to highway one you can fish at the pump house.  And you heard right the koks smoked are top shelf.

Offline jimmerjammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2009, 08:30 PM »
i just walk and tow a sled. the road around the lake is sweet, and its never too far of a run to the port-o-potty if you need too :o i drive on the lake at canyon ferry, but no 4 wheeler. koks are like 100 yard out from the road or so. i am pretty new to catching them, but have gotten into them a few times, lots of fun. if you are interested i going, message me!

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2009, 10:16 PM »
I was at gtown about 3 weeks ago and would vouch for all comments on the lake.  Its a great little lake and rarely disappoints.  Worth a go for sure have a great time

Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2009, 08:01 PM »
I believe I'm going to try it out the weekend of the 28th, I'm an unsure if I'll come down Friday night or not at the moment, more than likely I will.  I'll probably stay until Sunday  evening unless there's not much happening, if that's the case I'll probably drive to Canyon Ferry or somewhere else in that area.

Offline nswiken

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2009, 03:33 AM »
You could head towards Havre.  Beaver Creek Reservoir is producing good numbers of perch, and rainbows.  Slow for walleye and pike.  Bear Paw Lake is always good for rainbows and cutthroat.  Fresno Reservoir is starting to produce some nice northerns, although I can't find them.  There are numerous small reservoirs between Havre and Chinook that have a variety of species.  Check in at the BLM office (8-5) or the FWP office (10-2) for maps.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.