The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Spearing alone or with other people  (Read 2642 times)

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
Spearing alone or with other people
« on: Dec 31, 2008, 01:31 AM »
Darkhouse spearfishing is always regarded as a solitary sport.  Just curious as to peoples preferences, alone or with other people.

When I'm fishing I don't mind being w/ a group.  When I'm spearing I kinda like to be with a limited number of people, maybe one or two at the most.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re: Spearing alone or with other people
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2008, 04:40 AM »
Both if I have the chance! ;D
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2008, 08:36 AM »
I like to take my four best friends along: Beer, Summer Sausage, Cheese, and Crackers. Don't know what I would do without them. ;D

I like to spear with no more than 3 people, one of which includes myself. :thumbsup:
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline BuschWhacker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Here fishy ...fishy..."
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2008, 09:04 AM »
Both if I have the chance! ;D
You mean alone or with somebody?  I thought that was beer drinking. ;D.  I had cut out space in my old darkhouse for two spearing holes, and would occasionally cut two holes and stare into the water with one of the kids.  But mostly sit in the dark alone.  I've turned on one of my fishing partners to spearing, he uses his own house, everyone else watch the flags, so if I can't see 'em they're not there...right??
\"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy\"___Benjamin Franklin
Fish each time as though it were your last...for one time, it will be.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2008, 09:16 AM »
I like to take my three best friends along: Beer, Summer Sausage, Cheese, and Crackers. Don't know what I would do without them. ;D
Hey, don't forget to mention your friends Obnoxious Gas and Putrid Smell!!  Seems like they follow you everywhere you go. :sick: :sick: :roflmao:

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2008, 11:28 AM »
Hey, don't forget to mention your friends Obnoxious Gas and Putrid Smell!!  Seems like they follow you everywhere you go. :sick: :sick: :roflmao:

I thought you moved to Alaska. :blink: :pinch: ;D
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2008, 03:16 PM »
I thought you moved to Alaska. :blink: :pinch: ;D

The Old Man stood quivering with fury, stammering as he tried to come up with a real crusher. All he got out was…
"NOT A FINGA"

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2009, 05:41 PM »
buschwaker the key word is "chance!"  I'll drink a beer with one or more anytime, but getting the chance to actually spear is the problem!  I think we have the shortest season up here, since the ice forms too dang thick by the first week in December. :'(

The Old Man stood quivering with fury, stammering as he tried to come up with a real crusher. All he got out was…
"NOT A FINGA"
Great line indeed! :D
TEAM ALASKA

Offline BuschWhacker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Here fishy ...fishy..."
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:59 AM »
buschwaker the key word is "chance!"  I'll drink a beer with one or more anytime, but getting the chance to actually spear is the problem!  I think we have the shortest season up here, since the ice forms too dang thick by the first week in December. :'(

I know what ya mean.  I'm a bit afraid of how much ice had been laid down during this cold spell.  Had around 20" a couple weeks ago, the last time I went out.  I cut a couple holes last year thru 38" or so, not much fun.  Have you ever seen one of the saw rigs they use to cut blocks out of the quarries up there for the ice sculptures?  That's the ticket!  Someone needs to invent a Jedi Laser Ice Sabre  ;D  .  And if not, I'm not going to worry, the ice should thin down to be able to cut thru again....in July maybe  :laugh:  And yes, I only spear alone...or when I'm with somebody,  just like I drink....
\"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy\"___Benjamin Franklin
Fish each time as though it were your last...for one time, it will be.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2009, 12:24 AM »
I hear ya!  That saw they use is really unique.  I'll try to get out there when they are cutting this year and post some shots...  Those slabs of ice are HUGE!
TEAM ALASKA

Offline stephensonswille

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2009, 12:41 AM »
i prefer spearing alone but will sometimes let some1 else in the shack but last time that happend the girlfriend put a new door in the shack when i pulled out a 31incher and it "fell off" the spear and onto her lap  ;) ::) :laugh: i still pick on her about that 1

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.