The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Kinda Spearing............  (Read 3277 times)

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
Kinda Spearing............
« on: Dec 25, 2008, 07:56 PM »
I don't rally have the money to buy a spear yet, but for some reason I bought a decoy anyway.  I was wondering if this would be cool to do..........Cut out a spearing sized hole (i'll be usind a Clam Base Camp) swim the decoy until a pike comes, then with my ice rod drop don my lure and try n jig 'em up.  I just like the idea of using a huge hole and being able to see the fish come in.  If I see any bluegill I'll throw a jig donw and try to catch 'em.    Is this stupid??

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Kinda Spearing............
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2008, 08:47 PM »
no way thats not stupid and most guys make their own spears anyway look around in this forum to check out some designs    one nice pike to your decoy and the next time you go out i bet you have a spear of some sort

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2008, 08:50 PM »
no way thats not stupid and most guys make their own spears anyway look around in this forum to check out some designs    one nice pike to your decoy and the next time you go out i bet you have a spear of some sort

I have a bowfishing setup, mabey I'll bring that along

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2008, 11:59 PM »
I have to agree with Rezeye 100%. It is fun to get them to come into the hole, and try to catch them by jigging. ;D
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline carper34

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I only angle through ice
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2008, 12:17 AM »
I have a bowfishing setup, mabey I'll bring that along
i would be careful, alot of states dont allow bowfishig for pike or having the gear present in a spearing situtaion, trust me, i love bowfishing and would love to do it, but only rough fish are legal here

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2008, 12:38 AM »
Just jigging a decoy seems to attract fish.  I have lured in some nice rainbows and land locked salmon while I was targeting Pike.  The decoy also seems to attract perch too.  Plus it's nice to be able to look down your spearing sized hole and watch how the fish are reacting to your jigs.  I call it the "Norwegian T.V.".  Keep your eyes open and you'll get a good deal on a spear.  If you have a decoy and a darkhouse you might as well get a spear.  If you have access to some metal working tools you could build one, it doesn't cost much, just takes a some time and a little patience.  If you need any help building one, let me know and I can give you some pointers.  Good Luck!!!

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2008, 08:40 AM »
You might try checking some local antique stores for a spear. You can usually find some sitting in a corner. Sometimes they're ready to use, or you might find one that just needs a little TLC. Either way they are usually $25.00 or less, and the price can be negotiated most times. You might also be able to trade an item for a spear. ;D

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2008, 09:24 AM »
i would be careful, alot of states dont allow bowfishig for pike or having the gear present in a spearing situtaion, trust me, i love bowfishing and would love to do it, but only rough fish are legal here

It is leagal in Michigan to use a bow, but you have to shoot mostly junk fish.

Here is the info that you need strait off the DNR web site:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/bow-spear-fishing_229749_7.pdf

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2008, 09:34 AM »
When You drop Your decoy into the hole Usually the Pike will will come in right away,After they leave then the smaller fish will come in to check it out and thats when the jigging is real fun.You can watch the fish suck the jig into theur mouth and then SET THE HOOK.
It`s a hoot.
Like Darkhouse said"Watching the Norwegian TV". :laugh: :laugh: ;D

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2008, 09:55 AM »
hey mr marty sorry but it just struck me funny that you said "as soon as you drop the decoy in the pike come in and leave" what gives  :roflmao: :roflmao: :whistle:

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2008, 12:17 PM »
The only place I found a pike spear was the local bait shop but they're 50 bucks!!  Im gonna try jiggin 'em this weekend if the weather doesn't completly suck

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2008, 01:06 AM »
hey mr marty sorry but it just struck me funny that you said "as soon as you drop the decoy in the pike come in and leave" what gives  :roflmao: :roflmao: :whistle:
It seems like after the spear is dropped at or onto the first Pike then they all just kinda skeeedaddle for a while. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :whistle:

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.