The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: It's Spearing NOT FISHING  (Read 3947 times)

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
It's Spearing NOT FISHING
« on: Dec 22, 2008, 04:03 PM »
All that is on here is my opinion and is not the opinion of everyone on DARKHOUSE SPEARING forum  ;) .

I'm writing this for any one who comes on DARKHOUSE SPEARING and wants to put down spearing. First off I would like to say that Spearing is NOT FISHING and what I mean by this is that they may have some similarity's but it all ends after that and becomes a sport of it's own. It is true that a fish that comes into the hole has no choice in being taken where as in fishing it can choose to bite or not but like I said before this is not fishing it's spearing and if you really want to compare it to a sport than compare it to Bow hunting (another sport that I love) where you only have a small area to hit your target and the same can be said for spearing  ;D . For any of you out there who like to bow hunt and don't want to wait for next year you can always go and hunt on the ice  :laugh: .

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: It's Spearing NOT FISHING
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2008, 04:08 PM »
i heard of sprearing on the ice never did it but it sounds fun!!!! i have speared bullheads and suckers! heyyyyyyy wait a minute the the law considers it fishing as you need a fishing lic to do it! either way sounds fun and thats what fishing is ;D hope you all post some pictures i'd at least like to see it

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2008, 04:13 PM »
Pike speared from Saturday, Bowfin from tip-up same day.

Gotta love being able to spear a pike while slaying the gills!!!

Offline sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2008, 04:19 PM »
Just had a buddy of mine get back from a spearing trip in Michigan. Said it was a really good time, but he said it is alot more like hunting then fishing. He enjoyed it.

Stevo

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2008, 04:20 PM »
i heard of sprearing on the ice never did it but it sounds fun!!!! i have speared bullheads and suckers! heyyyyyyy wait a minute the the law considers it fishing as you need a fishing lic to do it! either way sounds fun and thats what fishing is ;D hope you all post some pictures i'd at least like to see it

It's true that spearing is covered under a fishing license but I guess the same could be said for Frogs and turtles which would not be considered fishing, I figure that the DNR had to cover it under Hunting or fishing and they choose fishing because the target is after all "FISH". But I can see that you are not against spearing and want to learn a little more about it so just stick around on the forum and check out some of the old posts, they have some picture in them  ;) .

Offline something smells fishy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2008, 04:24 PM »
I would  give it a go , dont hear to much of it anymore I guess sarnia area used to be big for it 

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2008, 06:51 PM »
very nice pictures! is it like spearing suckers or carp in open water !!!! agaist it????? hell no  looks like a good time if you fellas don't mind i'll be checking out your post keep up the spearing  i understand it's also very trational as i seen decoys at a antique fishing lure show once

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2008, 07:46 PM »
very nice pictures! is it like spearing suckers or carp in open water !!!! agaist it????? hell no  looks like a good time if you fellas don't mind i'll be checking out your post keep up the spearing  i understand it's also very trational as i seen decoys at a antique fishing lure show once

Yes it is very traditional, my uncle showed me every thing I know and his dad taught him and his grandpa taught his dad. Ok here is how you go about doing it: You sit in a shanty and look in a hole about 3ft by 3 ft at about 7 to 12 fow and have a decoy hooked up to a line going to the middle of your hole and start to jig it around then when you see the pike come in it usually will be coming slow so then you just take and put the spear in the water very slowly about 1 or so feet down and then you aim for just behind the gills and release with a small to moderate thrust and if you hit him you quickly grab the rope attached to the spear and pull him in and you better be quick cause the big ones can thrash them selves off, I have a plank just above my hole that I press the fish up against to keep him from getting off. If you really want to give it a try this year than just look over all the stuff on this forum and I'm sure you will have more than enough knowledge to spear your first pike or what ever kinda fish you want to go for.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2008, 07:09 AM »
ok i am going to check locale laws first one stupid question i assume your in a perment shanty! i could never leave a hole in the ice that big in fear someone would step in it

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2008, 09:09 AM »
I like to spear while fishing for pannies. I do not chop such a large hole, but it is larger than normal and I mark it well when departing the ice. I keep a jig pole in the shack with braided dacron and a wire leader. I have a Pike bait on either a lure or treble hook/trailer set that I use to jig for Pike when the Gills clear out. Most times I will spot the roaming pike on the cam right after the gills scatter. Then I try and jig em up. But if he is coming in nice and slow and allows time to get the spear set, then I do that. It is a rush for sure.

Many times with the jig rod there will be numerous pike traveling in a school and they set-up on the perimeter around the shack and strike like lightening. All you see is a "flash" and the jig rod is screaming!!

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2008, 01:48 PM »
Yes it is very traditional, my uncle showed me every thing I know...

Same here. I sat out with him a few times to see what it was all about, and pick up a few pointers. I prefer spearing to anything else. There is no bigger rush than to see a "big one" slowly come in to nose the decoy, or flash in and scare the bejesus out of you. ;D ;D
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2008, 12:49 AM »
Same here. I sat out with him a few times to see what it was all about, and pick up a few pointers. I prefer spearing to anything else. There is no bigger rush than to see a "big one" slowly come in to nose the decoy, or flash in and scare the bejesus out of you. ;D ;D
Or sometimes it seems like they come in and set at the decoy and for some reason You will be sitting there watching down into the hole and not even see them.All of a sudden it`s like You sorta wake up or Your vision clears  :blink: and there it is,bigger than life itself just idling right there against the decoy.
Move very slowly and lower the spear until You can judge the refraction between the Pike and the spear and drive it at em.Dang!!! Missed another one. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :whistle: :wacko:

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2009, 06:09 PM »
All that is on here is my opinion and is not the opinion of everyone on DARKHOUSE SPEARING forum  ;) .

I'm writing this for any one who comes on DARKHOUSE SPEARING and wants to put down spearing. First off I would like to say that Spearing is NOT FISHING and what I mean by this is that they may have some similarity's but it all ends after that and becomes a sport of it's own. It is true that a fish that comes into the hole has no choice in being taken where as in fishing it can choose to bite or not but like I said before this is not fishing it's spearing and if you really want to compare it to a sport than compare it to Bow hunting (another sport that I love) where you only have a small area to hit your target and the same can be said for spearing  ;D . For any of you out there who like to bow hunt and don't want to wait for next year you can always go and hunt on the ice  :laugh: .

"Please read BIG MONKEY"

Offline tundraboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2009, 03:44 PM »
I have to tell you if it was not for big monkey I would have never heard about this. I don't think it is legal in Maine but I would be willing to travel to check it out. I will be looking into it. THIS IS AWESOME.
Love to fish but live to hunt

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2009, 05:56 PM »
I have to tell you if it was not for big monkey I would have never heard about this. I don't think it is legal in Maine but I would be willing to travel to check it out. I will be looking into it. THIS IS AWESOME.

I don't know how far you are from the nearest state but I think New York allows spearing and maybe New Hamshire or Vermont has it  ??? All I can say is if you love to hunt and love to eat fish than you would love spearing  ;)2

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2009, 07:43 PM »
ALL HAIL "BIG MONKEY" :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2009, 07:47 PM »
ALL HAIL "BIG MONKEY" :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

They just locked up his thread on how much he hates spearing  :laugh:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.