The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: What it takes to get started  (Read 2734 times)

Offline icefisherjaydogg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Living The Dream
What it takes to get started
« on: Nov 29, 2008, 02:11 PM »
I am interested in spearing. What do i have to have/do to get started. Thanks for all ur advice in advance.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
Re: What it takes to get started
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2008, 04:54 PM »
First off you'll need a darkhouse, a spear, a decoy, and a means of cutting a large spearing hole and removing the block of ice. 

To cut a spearing hole you can use an auger, a chain saw, or a special ice cutting saw.  Of these three I prefer an ice saw, then an auger.  I have never had good luck cutting a spearing hole w/ a chain saw.  Everytime I've tried I end up soaking wet and when it's been real cold (20-30 below zero)  the throttle freezes up on the chain saw and I've had to let it thaw out in the pickup.  I know some people use them, but from my experience, I leave the chain saw at home. 

When I use an auger, I drill a series of holes like so:
                                        OOOOO
                                        O      O
                                        OOOOO
I then use spud bar to chip the ice between the holes so the sides are smooth and pull the block of ice out w/ a set of tongs.  The draw back to using a auger is the amount of slush in the hole after it is cut.  To remedy this, I took a small scoop shovel and drilled a bunch of holes in it so it is like a large skimmer. 

With an ice saw you get very little slush and it cuts through the ice really fast.  I chip a hole with a spud bar to get started then use the saw to cut the hole.  If the Ice is over 18"-20" thick, I cut the block in half to make it easier to remove.  The only draw back to a saw is it does take a little longer to cut the hole, but there is very little slush to clean out and it makes a nice smooth cut. 

I use a set of ice tongs to remove the ice block from the hole.

I look for water about 8-10' deep for my spearing setup.  If it's between a weed bed and a drop off that's even better.

Now set up your darkhouse over the hole and take a look down the "Norwegian T.V.". Have your spear line untangled and your spear ready before you drop in your decoy (learned that the hard way, lol).  I like a spear that is 6' long and 9"-12" wide with nice sized barbs and 1/4" to 5/16" tines that are 8"-10" long.

Now drop in your decoy and be ready, but also patient.  I prefer the classic white bodied/ red headed decoys about 9" long.  Duey's Decoys are some really nice affordable ones.  Bear Creek are also good and affordable.  I usually place my decoy about 5'-7' below the ice.  If the water is murky drop a few egg shells down the hole to help illuminate it.  If a pike comes at the decoy, I try to maneuver the decoy so i can get a good shot by just dropping the spear on the pike, right behind the gills. 

Well that about covers it, hope this helps.

Here's a real good website w/ some more pointers:
http://wiktel.net/fishspearing/images/darkhouse.pdf

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2008, 10:09 AM »
If the water is murky drop a few egg shells down the hole to help illuminate it.

I found that hard boiled egg shells are better than fresh egg shells. I think the "gooey" stuff in the fresh egg shells murkies up the hole. ;D
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2008, 03:11 AM »
Cut the spear hole about 3 to 4 ft. long and about 2 ft wide.

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline icefisherjaydogg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Living The Dream
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2008, 08:11 AM »
thanks for all the info guys.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2008, 09:57 PM »
Glad to help!!  After you stick that first pike, you'll be addicted.  There's no way to describe it, it's just something you gotta do.

Offline Mule Skinner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2008, 02:55 PM »
I believe Jay's would have most of the gear your after.
I love the  smell of fresh Pike Slime in the morning.

Offline stephensonswille

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2008, 09:28 PM »
a thing ive learned while spearing is that cut the hole at an angle so you can see further back into the water. thats why i enjoy using a saw and just angle the edges away from the hole you can see more pike sooner than usual

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2009, 09:38 AM »
a thing ive learned while spearing is that cut the hole at an angle so you can see further back into the water. thats why i enjoy using a saw and just angle the edges away from the hole you can see more pike sooner than usual
you can do the same thing with an auger I just start the auger straight and the immediatly start angling the auger as I drill works real nice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.