Author Topic: Gear and trip review 3; Last ice 2024  (Read 334 times)

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
Gear and trip review 3; Last ice 2024
« on: Feb 25, 2024, 11:06 PM »
Went fishing in for my last time this ice season this past weekend.  Got to use some more gear and share my opinions. 

1. Headlamp:  previous post on the topic led me to buy a Nitecore HC65 UHE. Good light, lots of options inside the shack, with both red light and white light, and the bright floodlights are a positive. The highest setting turbo lighting was bright/wide and lit up the shore more than 100 yards away.  Should work well for my intended use.  I would say if you want a light to focus it’s high output on a small spot this light may not be ideal, But the flood does light up a long way and a wide swath.

2. JT Panhandler: my panhandler is the 30 inch light with spring bobber. Really did well on a great bluegill and Crappie bite. Saw light bites and up bites. Really nice stick for that application.

3. Arid Blackfish gloves:  had these for a couple trips now. Good gloves with good dexterity and waterproof-ness is pretty good but not complete. Hands did get cold in 20° weather when the outside of the glove is wet, but a good trade for the dexterity.

4.  Otter pro jump seats: really like these when we use a hub to fish. We already bring buckets so bringing these to set on a bucket for a seat helps cut down on space. They are pretty comfortable also.

5.  Striker Predator bibs:  my second pair of these for me and multiple pair of for friends and family. Great piece of gear, just wish they would eliminate the liner piece in the bottom of the bib that is supposed to go inside the boot, just gets in the way for me.

6. Used a livescope and had another in the group. They are a difference maker. Next purchase.

7. Bigger baits fished higher in the column (3-5 ft off bottom vs 6-18 inches) were both focal points for me this year. Finding more aggressive fish and the bigger fish in the groups was the goal. Not sure or convinced it was full proof, but do feel like there was success in the theory.

8.  Braid-rubber bead-spro swivel-flouro leader:  I run this set up on almost all of my rigs. The only exceptions are mono to a bead to a Spro swivel to a flouro leader on two rods for outside fishing.  Works very well as the rubber bead protects the eyelets from nicks that could occur when reeling in the swivel, but it can create tangles and messes with the line between the last and second to last eyelet at times. For now the good outweighs the bad.

9. Rod storage: I like to have plenty of rods along with me on a trip but also want them safe, as well as the ability to pair down and only take out what I need when traveling lighter. The otter 48 deep box and a 2B XL box work really well in tandem. The otter is great for transportation and carrying many rigs, while the 2B is excellent for pairing down and going out when space is an issue but you have a rod the requires length (other wise the regular 2B case).  Not a 2B/Elliott person (unfortunate experiences with service) but these cases work for my style.

10.  Get away from groups, be aware of your movements, and find un-pressured fish.  Watching the live scope and seeing the fish reactions to vehicles, ATVs, snow bears, or even people walking with cleats; made them scatter in 15+ feet when you have a year with no snow cover. I wasn’t aware how much the above ice noise affected things below ice until this year. Changed the way I fish.

Many more things I’m sure but these are the top 10 of the last trip. Grinded out a good year with strange weather.

Offline FishingPhotographer

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Gear and trip review 3; Last ice 2024
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2024, 04:30 AM »
Great info. Thank you. I fully agree about the noise…
I should’ve chosen Fishin’Mortician as my username… ;-)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.