Author Topic: Frabill Shelters  (Read 2383 times)

Offline regulator

• Team IceShanty Regular
Frabill Shelters
« on: Dec 09, 2022, 04:10 PM »
Wondering what the status is on Frabill. Are they not making shelters anymore? I was really huping the Ice Hunter 200 Sidestep would go back into production, but this and all of their shelters are non existant this year.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Frabill Shelters
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2022, 04:56 PM »
I don't know the official story but they have been pretty much radio silent the last couple of seasons ..both in products and any hyped sponsorships. Also I heard that the last couple of runs of shelter that the windows were sewn in as opposed to being velcro and removable.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2022, 05:37 PM »
all selters are out of stock on their website

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2022, 08:43 PM »
Its been a couple years since I've seen any Frabill shelters in stores locally. Still see their other stuff, bait containers, nets, that type of thing.

Offline regulator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2022, 05:17 AM »
Thanks all. I did e-mail customer service a couple months ago via the website but never heard back. Doesn't seem likely they will get back in the shelter business anytime soon.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2022, 05:07 PM »
Maybe due to a lousy product they have given up.  I had one of theirs where the top more or less fell apart, I sent it back and they claimed I poured diesel fuel on it.  No more Fragile products for me, ever.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2022, 05:12 PM »
I’m avoiding Frabil products too, if I can, after the screwing I got on a float coat.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2022, 07:52 AM »
Based on my experience and my experience alone, I wouldn't even consider a shelter from Frabill (and yes, I had one).  Clam/Eskimo products are FAR superior to Frabill shelters and Shappell is a close second to either Clam/Eskimo.  I don't see the paucity of Frabill shelters as a loss to the community overall.  Just completing putting my new Eskimo Wide 1 XR Thermal together and hope to have it on the ice by the end of this coming week.   ;D
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2022, 09:44 AM »
Based on my experience and my experience alone, I wouldn't even consider a shelter from Frabill (and yes, I had one).  Clam/Eskimo products are FAR superior to Frabill shelters and Shappell is a close second to either Clam/Eskimo.  I don't see the paucity of Frabill shelters as a loss to the community overall.  Just completing putting my new Eskimo Wide 1 XR Thermal together and hope to have it on the ice by the end of this coming week.   ;D

Be sure an do a good review on the build and performance as there is limited information and even less video on this version by Eskimo . Good luck with your purchase . I bought a Eskimo Sierra Thermal last season ...I am an Eskimo fanboy.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2022, 10:13 AM »
 i have always owned clam products
 Still have my 2004-5 , x2 as it’s a tank ,
But switched my 1 man clam out
 But I did take the seat out swapped out for an old frabill seat , it was so comfy but heavy if cross bars and seat were aluminum
That would be the cats butt just my .02
 Back in the day I owned 2 frabills , a 1& a2 man both decent shacks

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2022, 10:29 AM »
I still have a Frabill XLTwin I bought around 2004 or so. It is still in great shape, but is well treated. Dang thing was made in China back then.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Tubes77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2022, 06:48 PM »
I've had a few Frabil shacks over the years and had pretty decent sucess with them actually.  I still own one of the Frabil one man Commando models that I love.  With that said, I also believe their quality went down also. When I made the jump to a thermal shack I went with a Clam, and I just ordered an Otter hub so I'm not exactl brand loyal.   Anyway,  I will check to see if they are still making shacks one day this week when I stop by the Plano Molding outlet where they are made (at least the tubs anyway).

Offline Krazykaiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2022, 05:48 AM »
 Frabill was bought out by Plano and now Frabills Ice offerings are dwindling each year.    Pure fishing then acquired Plano 2021 . So who knows where Frabill goes from here.  Frabill was a lot like Ht some stuff you had to really avoid.  Shame Frabill shelved the snosuit. They could of added flotation to that design easy.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2022, 08:32 AM »
I've had a Frabill Recruit for 5 years - 0 issues with it. Had a Frabill Recon before that for 6 years - again 0 issues. That said, I'd buy an Eskimo if I ever needed to replace my Recruit or wanted a hub

Catchin' Fish

Offline regulator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2022, 08:47 AM »
Tubes77, thank you for the Recon trip, be interesting to see if they tanked the product line. Thanks everyone else for all of the great info!

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2022, 12:34 PM »
Same here with the Frabill recruit, it's been a great shack

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2022, 12:39 PM »
Shapely shelters seem to be gone also.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.