Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Spirit/Boji  (Read 15162 times)

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Spirit/Boji
« Reply #60 on: Feb 08, 2016, 09:53 AM »
You'll get folks like that from time to time. If I've been doing real good on a spot and there's someone close to it I just tell them sorry but these are my holes from yesterday. I did real good and I'm setting up on them again. I've never had a problem. How did you do out there this weekend? I went yesterday and was all by myself away from everybody and did pretty good.

Offline Bigairjer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Feb 08, 2016, 10:33 AM »
It was kind of slow but a day fishing is better then a day at work!!

Offline dekalbnick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Feb 08, 2016, 10:46 AM »
A lot of human activity today. A lot of fin activity today. West "O" felt my wrath!

It also felt my wrath!  The fishing was pretty crazy!

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Feb 08, 2016, 11:00 AM »
The barometric pressure on Saturday was very low. That may have had a lot to do with the good bite. I say may have, because barometric pressure on fish is just a theory. At least the last I knew.

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Feb 08, 2016, 04:18 PM »
I could not agree with you any more. I'm not a fan of Kabeles and they will not be getting any more of my business. For one their location sucks - I dont fish Spirit - two they totally stiffed me when i came in early this season while they told this other group that was looking at an auger all the good locations for the week. I get that i wasn't spending $500 that day, but still if you want to build a loyal customer you better be doing more.

A couple years ago, I reserved two rooms, one for my family of 4 and the other for my parents. We booked for a week or at least several days. They somehow overbooked one of our rooms for the last night. They notified us and recommended we all bunk up in the one room for the last night and they would bring appropriate cots/bedding. My wife and I have twin boys who were 6 at the time. We weren't going to cram the Grandparents one bedroom with all of us. Anyway, not only did they not keep our original room, but the woman owner adamantly refused to knock a nights price off the unit that we got booted out of after being overbooked. She stated we already got a good deal for the nights we stayed.

So, we cut our and our 6 yr old boys vacation short, packed up, paid the full price & left. Never to go back again! If they would have made it right, that's one thing, but to not pro-rate the last night is wrong. She also stated this has happened in the past & others all just stayed in one room. Anyway, never really met that man owner but I am not a fan of the woman. Her way or the highway.

Bait shop had a nice selection, though. Rooms were nice and in good shape. Location wasn't ideal.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Feb 10, 2016, 12:59 PM »
Are trucks going out of Parks Marina on East? The snow is my concern. I think I have a couple days this weekend. Thanks
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline dekalbnick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Feb 10, 2016, 08:55 PM »
Are trucks going out of Parks Marina on East? The snow is my concern. I think I have a couple days this weekend. Thanks
Was out there in mine tonight. If you have four wheel drive u should be ok. If you don't, stay off.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Feb 10, 2016, 09:21 PM »
Thanks a lot
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline drakevh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Feb 11, 2016, 12:27 AM »
What's the bite like? I went last weekend and it was awful. Any spots doing well? I was on millers and Emerson. 

Offline DHV

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Feb 12, 2016, 09:28 AM »
Wondering how the yellow bass bite has been on East Okoboji the last couple days? Thinking of going up on Sunday. Also wondering how thick the ice is? Thanks.

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Feb 12, 2016, 05:21 PM »
Heading back out next Thursday and Friday.  Staying at Kabeles.  Best place to stay on the IGL's, and the owners and staff are great.  Fished spirit the whole time we were out there last week and did excellent on the perch.  If you are heading out there this weekend, stop by Kabeles as they are having a big sale on ice fishing stuff. 

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Feb 12, 2016, 05:55 PM »
Stopped at Kabeles a couple weeks ago looking for a Striker suit. Started looking at them and a guy came over to help, turned to try one on and he was gone. Finally got the girl she helped for a while until guy came back. Trying on another one turned to ask a question and gone again. He did say they were on sale this weekend, didn't care for their service and left. I used to like that place. The motel at  9 and 86 (I think) nw corner of West Okoboji is very nice, stayed a few times for a job.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Feb 13, 2016, 05:44 AM »
Take a shovel if you go this weekend. There is a boatload of snow and getting the shack settled can be a chore. And you could easy get stuck, there is some serious snow in places

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Feb 13, 2016, 05:51 AM »
I was told that people are starting to get stuck out there.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Feb 13, 2016, 07:34 AM »
There was a fella messing with his permie for a couple hours yesterday. I felt bad for the guy.

Offline nadman82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Feb 14, 2016, 07:51 AM »
Thinking about heading up to spirit this afternoon to fish. How's the ice and can trucks get around on it. Thanks in advance for any info

Offline nwifisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Feb 14, 2016, 03:18 PM »
I fished West and Spirit yesterday. West was hot and 7 of us had our limits in 2-3 hours. We were nowhere near the crowds. Ice was good but snow was deep in spots and without good tires I probably would have buried my pickup. Spirit I drove off the beach on the northwest corner and drove east 2 miles and fished north of Stoney. Ice is good along there but also some deep snow in spots. Caught a couple perch and some walleyes but season closes tonight so no reason to head over there again. I would say ice was 20"+ pretty much everywhere.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Feb 14, 2016, 07:48 PM »
Don't let Walleye season ending stop you from fishing Spirit. You can only keep 3 little ones. The 25 perch is a good enough reason to fish there

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Feb 15, 2016, 07:56 AM »
If you want quality perch spirit is for sure the answer over boji.  Boji has decent perch, but not near the size of the ones on spirit.  Saw that when we were up there last week.  3 days and I will be on the ice up there again!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Feb 18, 2016, 02:24 PM »
Who else is going in the wind tomorrow?

Offline Dwedemeier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Feb 18, 2016, 06:36 PM »
Were going to give a whirl! Im wondering if they will they be driving out Friday and Saturday.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Feb 19, 2016, 09:00 AM »
I had a sick kid. She decided to go to school but it was enough of a demotivator to keep me home at least for the morning. I can go tomorrow and Sunday.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Feb 19, 2016, 02:38 PM »
Will the ice on Spirit be ok this weekend.   I am from Des Moines area and the temps here this week make me suspect of the thickness and quality. 
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Feb 20, 2016, 10:44 AM »
Going to fish Okoboji again after a 4-day breather. Would appreciate a "heads up" , concerning the shoreline approaches, from anyone who was there since Friday.

Offline LarryClutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #84 on: Feb 22, 2016, 07:30 AM »
Fished big spirit for the first time yesterday. Got great info from the older gentleman at kabeles. And then drug my sled by hand with 2 good ol boys and fished by them all morning. A great last day of ice fishing. Didn't get my limit of perch but had a good time. Made the long drive there and home worth it. Time to get the boat ready.

Offline Clunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Feb 23, 2016, 10:05 AM »
Still sounds like 20 good solid inches of ice on both Boji and Spirit, Good numbers of perch caught on both.. Kabeles is the spot to stop, spend alittle time and money and get good info on the bite..  Great people to deal with..
approaches may be alittle slushy so be prepared
Maybe a rookie at this game but willing to travel for the BITE....
Jiffy Pro4 8 in auger Clam Yukon Marcum LX 5 Muck boots. Xwife got the 4wheeler so I'm dragging it if I cant drive on the lake....

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Feb 23, 2016, 09:16 PM »

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #87 on: Feb 26, 2016, 04:59 PM »
LarryClutch,

I am up at Big Spirit now, what cove, bay or point area did he steer you too?   We are clueless and are at the south end in 20 fow off the pumping station.    I feel like a sheeple, the young guy there said the fish are moving every day and he never knows. 

Thanks
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline LarryClutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #88 on: Feb 26, 2016, 07:04 PM »
Sorry just got this.  Went off of buffalo. Know bad north west side 20 foot of water. Pm me your cell and I'll text you a pic of where I was.

Offline drakevh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Feb 26, 2016, 09:04 PM »
Anybody been out today? I'm hoping to go one last time tomorrow before the season is over. Where are people trying? It might be nice enough to be in a sweatshirt and fish! hopefully the wind stays quiet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.