Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Ice predictions  (Read 13593 times)

Offline walleyewinder23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good things come to those who bait.
Ice predictions
« on: Nov 01, 2011, 10:21 PM »
Anyone got any ice predictions? When do YOU think the ice will come in? My guess is late November to maybe early or mid December. I don't know about you guys, but i have an extreme itch coming on.  :)

Offline Shrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice predictions
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2011, 07:28 AM »
I am so ready to ice fish! Last year was my first year doing it and loved it. Now I cant wait. I hope it might be here by Thanksgiving. If not I going to Wis. with a buddy.

Offline doonan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2011, 10:17 AM »
December 8th

Offline BS-BARN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2011, 10:41 AM »
Ice wont happen by thanksgiving...at least safe ice. December 8th will probubly be fine but still a little sketchy for me. I already took off the weekend of december 17th with plans for ice fishing!

Offline hotrod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2011, 12:39 PM »
Just looked at the month-long forecast (like they can even predict the next day anymore  :P ) but each day after today, the HIGH's are between 38-46 the rest of November.  All the lows for the rest of the month are between 19-25 degrees.  That was for Marshalltown (center of the state).

If those numbers are even close to accurate...then I would believe some pond fishing will be occuring around Thanksgiving.  We can always hope I guess!  ;D
"I never go ice fishing without my Vexilar" ~Dave Genz
www.fishingwithtoddree d.com

Offline graybeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2011, 02:46 PM »
I'd be plenty happy if it's ready by the end of first shotgun deer season. I'd be ecstatic if I could get out BEFORE deer season.
I'd rather be :icefish:

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2011, 03:13 PM »
Seems like the last two years I went out first time on Dec 5 and Dec 7.  I'm not near the first one on the ice either so I'll go with the Dec. 8th figure.

Offline Woody61

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2011, 06:59 PM »
I'd be plenty happy if it's ready by the end of first shotgun deer season. I'd be ecstatic if I could get out BEFORE deer season.

My feelings exactly!  1st season then on the ice the 2nd weekend in Dec. It's worked that way for me the last 3 or 4 years but tt would be sweet to drill some holes Tgiving weekend.

Offline ice pig 121

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2011, 07:17 PM »
Yeah i'll go with the Dec. 8th prediction, but I do wish it would come sooner!  This is going to be a great season folks, I can feel it! ;D
Tight lines and happy hunting to all! Go Vikings!!

Offline walleyewinder23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2011, 07:44 PM »
it had soooo better be here by thanksgiving... i got a new auger, and new vexilar to try out! Not to mention a car to go anywhere i want to now :)

Offline jurrensb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 02, 2011, 07:59 PM »
Possibility of a little snow to fall tonight with the rain.  That gets me itchen for some ice fishin!  I would have to guess first fishable ice around early December.
"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2011, 10:22 PM »
Water temps in NW Iowa currently are near or over 50 yet, no big cold in the forcast daytime temps in the 50's lows in the 30's.... It will be awhile yet unless we get a big long cold spell....

Offline FISH_IQ

• IceShanty Rookie
  • the fish won't know what hit 'em
« Reply #12 on: Nov 03, 2011, 12:06 AM »

Water temp will probably bottom out at 40 tonight.  I look for it to hover around 40 degrees for the next week or so.  then slowly drop to 32.  I'm shooting for first week of december.  Fingers crossed

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 03, 2011, 12:34 AM »
I'll be super optimistic and say Thanksgiving but realistically probably December 7th but it sure would be nice to fish in November. You never know and neither does the weatherman so lets hope for a big huge artic blast that slaps us upside the face and makes all the warm weather people complain and we can get our party started.  ;D

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 03, 2011, 01:28 PM »
I will be on the ice as usual come Thanksgiving.  Eat turkey drink beer nap it off and go slam some early ice pannies ;)

Offline tricohatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 14, 2011, 10:21 AM »
Maybe by Thanksgiving on some farm ponds north of Des Moines, but it will be around December 20th or so before Big Creek starts to ice over I think! I hope we get good ice before it snows over it though!!! Don't like that honeycomb stuff!!!

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 14, 2011, 10:44 AM »
Looking at the forecast for the next ten days, I predict that any of you hoping to ice fish in Iowa on Thanksgiving this year are going to be disappointed.  ;D

Second week in December down here for first safe ice.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 16, 2011, 11:17 AM »
Had ice this morning in a shallow bay its still hanging on also.  Close to noon and its still 28 degrees.  Winnning :tipup:

Offline Woody61

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 16, 2011, 09:21 PM »
It's all about getting the water temps close. They can hang in the upper 30s range for quite awhile then all it takes is one good cold front. Even though it will get back up around 50 this weekend the  lows at night  will get the water temps down. Like clockwork It will be thick enough here in NE Ia. to start drilling no later than Dec 17th but I hope even the 10th will be doable. Been on the ice the 2nd Sat in Dec the last 3 years when there was only skim ice the week before.

Offline phil c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 16, 2011, 09:35 PM »
It will be after I fill my shotgun tags. Get the "turf" taken care of then worry about the "surf"

Realisticly I think Dec 17th.

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 17, 2011, 07:28 AM »
The good news: the temp. in Iowa City is nineteen right now, and I bet there is skim ice on the ponds here.

The bad news: if the wind and forty-five degree high today didn't melt that skim ice, the fifty-five degree highs and wind tomorrow and Saturday would.

In SE Iowa we are looking at temps a little above normal for the next ten days, so far as a ten-day forecast can be considered reliable.

Offline Bigwally

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 17, 2011, 07:52 AM »
My water bottle in my car was frozen this morning, and got me excited!!  Im ready for hard water fishing.

Offline hotrod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 17, 2011, 08:08 AM »
16 degrees early this morning here in Central Iowa!  we need more nights like this.
"I never go ice fishing without my Vexilar" ~Dave Genz
www.fishingwithtoddree d.com

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 17, 2011, 09:26 AM »
Skim ice on some pits around here.  12 this morning
9:30 and its still 15 out :)

Went and tried to fish the river around 1130 for some last chance eyes and due to lack of flow the entire river was iced over.  Could be a bad winter for fish populations in the river.  Not much water to find a wintering hole.  :-\

Offline Shrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 17, 2011, 09:34 AM »
Grabbed my water bottle out of my truck this morning and it was froze! It's getting closer.

Offline rugby ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 17, 2011, 01:05 PM »
Is that a chill or a giddy feeling :)
http://

Offline walleyewinder23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 17, 2011, 08:32 PM »
The ice is trying to form on the lake at home! SOOO PUMPED!! I expect the ice to come in around December 12th. If I'm right, i get a free Vex fl-18  ;D

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 19, 2011, 08:06 PM »
Not that the fifteen-day forecasts on Accu Weather are real accurate, but if it is anywhere close it will not be an early ice-season in Iowa.  >:(

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 20, 2011, 09:04 AM »
Big Spirit got down to 33.4 degrees last night! Too bad it won't last though. :( I wonder if theres skim ice over Templars that'll melt today?

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 20, 2011, 09:24 AM »
Been skim ice every morning in this area. By 1 or 2 in the afternoon its gone though.  Accuweather looks like 40s into December yet :(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.