Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Waterloo/Cedar Falls  (Read 20419 times)

Offline FISH-MITS

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Waterloo/Cedar Falls
« Reply #60 on: Dec 26, 2010, 12:10 PM »
[IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/1072osk.jpg[/IMG

Thought I'd post Friday's catch - fought a lot of fresh snow to make it happen. Caught em' on a green hexi fly tipped with waxies at about 35'... Not on East/Brinker but on public water in the area.
"Catch Em' While You Can"

Offline FISH-MITS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Dec 26, 2010, 12:33 PM »
"Catch Em' While You Can"

Offline icetard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Dec 26, 2010, 08:14 PM »
I am curious if the finchford place people are talking about on here is the rock quary on north union rd. I guess when folks were talking about a drag from hell with a sled or tent it seems to me that it has to be the same place. It was a terrible walk for me in the spring carrying just an ultralight.

Offline DoubleBurg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Dec 27, 2010, 08:51 AM »
So what we thinking about getting together for this big get together?  Let's start out with a good place to meet up.  Everybody make a vote for which body of water they want to meet on (doesn't have to be a honey hole just some place that we can catch fish and can handle all of us showing up).  We'll find a time once we find a place
Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.  -Henry David Thoreau

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Dec 27, 2010, 10:48 PM »
Big Woods sounds easy to me. Small crappies but it's an easy walk   :) But I'm down for wherever

Offline russjess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Dec 28, 2010, 07:50 PM »
brinker isnt to bad either

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Dec 29, 2010, 06:38 AM »
I did OK on George Wyth yesterday afternoon.  The bluegills I caught were better sized than normal out of there, but the spot I fish is a bit of a drag/walk.  I guess that makes votes for all three lakes.  I've never had much luck on Brinker (I believe there are nice fish in there. I just have no idea how to fish it).  I know Big Woods has a ton of fish, but they are small.  I'd love to go.  Just let me know what you come up with and I'll let you guys know if I can make it. 

Offline jhei88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Dec 29, 2010, 03:32 PM »
what about casy lake? Just south of waterloo, been catching decent gills there.

Offline DoubleBurg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Dec 29, 2010, 09:14 PM »
Any more votes?  I'm really wanting to head out but I have been to busy setting up my classroom and getting lesson plans together that I haven't had a chance to fish for about a week.
Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.  -Henry David Thoreau

Offline jkskeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Dec 29, 2010, 11:38 PM »
I'd be interested in just about anywhere.  Not a huge fan of casey lake(hickory hills) tho..  George wyth gets hammered pretty bad all the time and east lake is pretty big to walk across but offers nice fish if you can find em.  I'd go for just about any place. 

Something like this is about getting togeather and meeting people and not so much about fishing.  If i'm gunna go to an event like this just to fish then i'd prolly be off by myself instead of meeting everyone.

Just my .02 cents worth...

Offline ScaleHusker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Dec 30, 2010, 09:30 PM »
What about Dike?.............. How many inches of water is atop the ice?

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Dec 30, 2010, 09:59 PM »
What about Dike?.............. How many inches of water is atop the ice?

Was at Dike this morning and the warmth did wonders for all the snow pack. There's probably 2-4 inches of slush depending on where you go. Was there for a couple hours and marked tons of fish and they were flying to my jigs but just not taking, caught some dinks but no keepers.

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Jan 02, 2011, 01:33 PM »
Refresh.

What size do the crappies & bluegill run on Big Woods.  I understand the numbers are there for action but size is an issue.  Are they even sortable or do you pretty much throw them all back? 

What about S Prairie.  Is it worth it or is it the same situation.  Just looking for the best water in the 'loo area for size & numbers. Otherwise, heading up to Clear for a short road trip.  Thanks.

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Jan 02, 2011, 05:11 PM »
They're nothing to write home about.  I was out there for a couple of hours and got over a dozen crappie, but only 5 that I kept.  They were down there, but the bite was far from fast and furious. 

Offline ScaleHusker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Jan 03, 2011, 07:57 AM »
Yeah I fished south prairie a couple weeks ago. Caught a lot of dinky crappie. I hear from some people that there are nice crappie in there though and gills. Anyways. Let's here some reports guys.

Offline russjess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Jan 03, 2011, 09:50 PM »
got my limit of blue gills yesterday all about 7 to 9 inch long

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Jan 03, 2011, 10:02 PM »
got my limit of blue gills yesterday all about 7 to 9 inch long

In the Waterloo/Cedar Falls area (Public area)?

Offline russjess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Jan 03, 2011, 10:09 PM »
ya in that vicinity you could say

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Jan 04, 2011, 04:52 AM »
going by your location and what I've heard I'd say you got them out of the marsh

Offline reit38

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Jan 04, 2011, 07:13 AM »
going by your location and what I've heard I'd say you got them out of the marsh

why be a jack***
your on a board to try and get help not piss people off
tripoli really insnt that far from wloo/cf he could be fishing in tons of different spots public or private

Offline jkskeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Jan 04, 2011, 08:10 AM »

why be a jack***
your on a board to try and get help not piss people off
tripoli really insnt that far from wloo/cf he could be fishing in tons of different spots public or private

Maybe i'm confused but how is he being a jack***?

All he did was guess where the guy was fishing based on reports he's heard and where the guy lives...
 ??? ??? ???

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Jan 04, 2011, 08:27 AM »
Maybe i'm confused but how is he being a jack***?

All he did was guess where the guy was fishing based on reports he's heard and where the guy lives...
 ??? ??? ???

2nd.  No crap!!!

Offline reit38

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Jan 04, 2011, 08:43 AM »
My bad jus seems like a lot of internet scouting lately. One guy is havin luck somewhere so everyone wants to know where so they can set up next to him

Offline jkskeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Jan 04, 2011, 08:52 AM »
My bad jus seems like a lot of internet scouting lately. One guy is havin luck somewhere so everyone wants to know where so they can set up next to him

The bad thing about around here is that there isn't enough lakes for all the ice fisherman we have in this area..

So yea, people 'internet scout' alot because they're trying to find fish just like the next guy.  I can't blame em for trying to find where the bite is, when there doesn't seem to be much of a bite elsewhere.

Wasn't trying to start any crap but I don't think the other guy was being an a*s when he guessed where the guy was.  He was prolly trying to help others find the fish (which most wont do cuz they want it all to themselves)..

Best of fishin to ya ;D

Offline reit38

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Jan 04, 2011, 11:13 AM »
No me calling him out probably wasn't the besr thing to do. But if the original guy wanted to say where he was fishing he would of. Just seemed a little out of line of the seemed a little out of line

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Jan 04, 2011, 05:54 PM »
Sorry if you're catching them up there.  I got my information from a person, not the internet (If you really want to know who then I can PM you).  If you want the exact spot I've been fishing take it.  There are plenty of them out there.  Didn't mean to be a jerk just throwing out a guess.  From the look of it I'd say I hit a nerve and I appologise.  Best of luck to you 

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Jan 04, 2011, 06:06 PM »
Also, I'm not on this board to get help.  I'd much rather give it.  I'll gladly take it, but it isn't often I ask for it about fishing.  Originally I got on here looking for someone to fish with once in a while, and have given several reports on my own catches.  I'm not too hush hush about how I'm doing because there are plenty of places to fish.  Again, sorry I blew your "secret" spot

Offline reit38

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Jan 04, 2011, 06:18 PM »
It doesn't matter to me. I don't fish there anyways. I didn't post to start an argument. I think everyones missing the point. Of course we all get on to ask pointers, see how others are doing, and to give our own advice. Its a message board that's. What its for. My point was he didn't say where he was catching them. Obviously we can see where's he's from and most of his posts pertain too. But why go off spouting where u think he caught all his fish.

I guess I'm sorry for upsetting you

Offline reit38

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Jan 04, 2011, 09:18 PM »
i believe its this coming Saturday but could be wroung

Offline russjess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Jan 04, 2011, 09:25 PM »
is that over at north prairrie

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum