Author Topic: LAC DU BONNET ICE FISHING CHALLENGE....anybody going?  (Read 5189 times)

albatross

Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, but I'm not seeing alot of chatter about the tourney next week.  This'll be my first time fishing it and I'm getting quite excited....anybody have any tips about bait, technique, etc.?  Are we allowed to use fishfinders? 

I'd love to hear some insight.

Cheers! 8)

Offline Jiffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lac du Bonnet Derby
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2005, 08:26 AM »
I heard from my friend that chartruese or orange jigg head tipped with a frozen minnow is supposed to be the killer for the big walleye.But if your fish'n for big northerns use a smelt with a 2 1/2 inch hook with two or three splitshots on the main line about half a foot above the lure.Well there you go and have some fun.Give me some info when you finish taking home all prize money well see you later.
Jaymes Hiebert

Humminbird - Jiffy - Clam Corp - Mr. Heater - Berkely

Offline tk10fire

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm baaaack let the fishing begin
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2005, 09:55 AM »
Welcome to the forum to the both of you. Great forum here and you should beable to get all the help you need and want here. Unfortunately so far I'm just learning to so can't be a whole lot of help. Just love being out there trying though.  ;D ;D ;D
Tim

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2005, 10:07 AM »
albatross.....yellowta il....welcome to the manitoba board and Iceshanty.com  great to have you here....feel free to roam around....ask questions and post your fishing pics/stories/tips....great group here.....Grump...(if you need help with anything...feel free to pm) ;D

Offline Nightcrawler

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nightcrawlers Fishing Team
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2005, 01:01 PM »
A friend of mine won the LDB tourney five years ago, I had missed a fish on my tip up (too busy socializing). It was rigged with a 12" herring. Went and told him about it and he switched up from a jig and minnow to the quick strike set up I had, and ended up catching a 22 pound northern with twenty minutes to go in the derby. I was there helping him out through the battle and will never forget it as long as I live!! Anyway, I figured that's about as close as I'll ever get to winning, so I haven't been back since. So my advice to you is go big or go home!! Hell you're there, you might as well try to win the thing!! 8)
Tight lines and all that rot!!

albatross

« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2005, 09:26 AM »
I've been checking out this site for most of the winter to find out how the fishing was going at the Lockport Locks and have thoroughly enjoyed reading posts from what seems to be a very responsible group of fishers.

tk10fire, grump and nightcrawler; thanks for the welcome and the advice about the LDB tourny!  I was inclined to use the "go big or go home" approach anyway, so the encouragement was confirming for me.  Nevertheless, I'll have my minnows and other goodies with me in case I panic.

Does anybody know if fishfinders are allowed? 

Thanks again for the input guys, I'll keep you posted and make sure to share some pix after.

Cheers!

albatross

Re: Lac du Bonnet Derby this weekend...any tips?!!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2005, 08:13 PM »
I called Ernie's today and asked a bunch of questions about the tournament.  I found out that they're drilling about 1000 holes on Friday afternoon, and the rest the next morning.  I was told that there's no problem pre-fishing on the Friday, which is great, because I'm hoping to do that to get an idea about the geography under there.  Live bait is allowed, and moving from hole to hole is fine.

Are any of you fishing it Saturday?  Apparantly there were 1800 people there last year....are you one of them?  Is there anything I should know about tourney protocol or etiquette?

I look forward to your posts!

Cheers!

Offline Jiffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2005, 08:25 PM »
Got of the phone with my friend and got that information that you wanted to know.You are aloud to use a vex or ac ya vu so good luck and have fun.
Jaymes Hiebert

Humminbird - Jiffy - Clam Corp - Mr. Heater - Berkely

albatross

« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2005, 08:27 PM »
Thanks Yellowtail!  I'm sharpening my hooks as we speak!  Wish me luck!

albatross

Re: LAC DU BONNET ICE FISHING CHALLENGE....anybody going?
« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2005, 06:16 PM »
This is starting to feel very surreal now...there's almost 2000 people registered to fish the Lac du Bonnet ICE FISHING tournament...I'm posting on the best and most thorough ICE FISHING site in the province,.....and I haven't heard from anybody else who's going to be there this weekend!  I'm so excited about it that I'm taking the Friday off work to pre-fish and I'm going there 4 hours before the start so I can map out my holes, and there doesn't seem to be anybody else on IceShanty to share my enthusiasm with! (exceptions being the few who've been good enough to join this thread and offer some tips ;D)

Is anybody out there going this Saturday?

grumpymoe

« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2005, 07:33 PM »
Not going unfortunately for the rest of the group...joking...from where i am situated...its a 3hr drive to winnipeg....and then out to LDB...not that i dont want to...simple logistics....following this weekends get together my way, we are having the annual Lake Dauphin tourney....usually around 1800 to 2300 entries....$20,000.00 would look great in anyones pocket....hopefully... ..Grump ;D

albatross

« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2005, 07:46 PM »
I fished the Dauphin tourney a few years ago and my buddy won a motor for 3rd prize...we sold it to Blair at the Narrows on the way back to Wpg!  When's the tourney this year?

grumpymoe

« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2005, 08:07 PM »
Saturday the 19th....always the 3rd saturday in March.....best of luck to anyone who enters...Grump :tipup:

albatross

« Reply #13 on: Mar 09, 2005, 08:11 PM »
 :-\  that sounds like something I should seriously consider....thanks for the info grump! :)

Anglin Ivan

« Reply #14 on: Mar 09, 2005, 09:20 PM »
:-\  that sounds like something I should seriously consider....thanks for the info grump! :)

Yeah, heading out there. What are the they biting on up there right now?

albatross

« Reply #15 on: Mar 09, 2005, 09:30 PM »
Hello AI....are you heading to the LDB or the Dauphin tourney?  I'd be interested to hear what they're biting on in both places....

grumpymoe

« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2005, 09:34 PM »

Yeah, heading out there. What are the they biting on up there right now?
gawd....i wish i knew the answer to that one....live minnows on slowpokes....northland teardrops tipped with livies....if anyone has something conclusive for a daily limit...please post here...or pm me....Grump ;D

Offline Thane

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 10, 2005, 10:31 PM »
Tried the LacDu Bonnet derby twice a few years back but in 3 hours there's not enough time to work any area as well a establish any kind of pattern.  Almost dumb luck hitting the right hole at the right time.  I think if it was a whole day thing I might considering going in again and it would give the best fisherman enough time to shine.  You might as well by into a lottery with 2000 tickets and pay $75 buck a pop.  All those lines and a heck of a lot of salties. ;)  I'll stick to a day long open water fish off.  Just my two cents.  The first time I went in the derby I pre fished a week earlier and caught over 25 fish.  Different story in the derby.  Got one fish only.

Offline Ac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 11, 2005, 05:25 AM »
Almost dumb luck hitting the right hole at the right time
I would agree with Thane. I have been to the Dauphin Derby a number of years ago. It just seems...sooooo many lines in the water hard to catch anything. Best advice I could give is not your bait or lure...most important...try to get a hole on the outer edge. Not all the fish come from the outside three rows but it just seems to me that alot of them do.

Offline ginnz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 12, 2005, 10:13 PM »
just got back from LDB.... was a hellava good time, i got 65 place and my partner got 93 or so...... just missed the money!

we used live minnows and jigs... i fished right by the weigh in tent. there were 360+ fish caught. a 14 lb+ pike took it home. i figure there were at least 1500 people there. it was fun.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.