Author Topic: Well that was cold  (Read 1113 times)

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Well that was cold
« on: Jan 23, 2021, 07:36 PM »
Decided to head out today even though an extreme cold warning was around. Woke up to -18c and lots of wind but by 8am the wind had died off and temps dropped to -25c without wind chill and -35 with. It was a good test of some new equipment today. It was tough to stay outside because holes would freeze within a couple minutes and scrapping ice off the line every 30 seconds but i wanted to test the new hardwater suit. With just a pair of sweat pants and a couple top layers I was toasty warm.
The new flex heater was a bit tough to light but was enough to stay warm without the hardwater coat but the tent which is the Eskimo 949i was extremely frosty on one side. I didn't have my fan setup in time but I would guess that would help out with the frost. Auger wasn't happy but it kept starting too. Ice is around 2' and I'm thinking i'll need the extension on by the end of the season. Anyone else braving the deep freeze and have any hot tips?

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Well that was cold
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2021, 07:18 AM »
Damm that's cold! What suit did you get? Sounds like it worked out well.

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2021, 07:30 AM »
Yeah, that sure is cold (-13F), with that much ice i am sure you are going to need an extension. I hope you caught something. Be safe out there.
JG

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2021, 07:47 AM »
Damm that's cold! What suit did you get? Sounds like it worked out well.

Striker hardwater.

Yeah, that sure is cold (-13F), with that much ice i am sure you are going to need an extension. I hope you caught something. Be safe out there.
JG

Managed to snag some supper. thanks

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2021, 10:19 AM »
Coldest I've fished this season has been 2F. but it warmed to 43F. Cold enough for this guy- :P
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2021, 10:51 AM »
 -37c here this a.m.  glad football's on cause i ain't fishin!

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2021, 11:24 AM »
I’m missing the part of the story where it was cold.  You guys do realize it’s called “ice fishing” right.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2021, 12:46 PM »
I’m missing the part of the story where it was cold.  You guys do realize it’s called “ice fishing” right.

I know right. The crazy thing is weather isn't the same around the world. Some places get colder then others. I'm sure 90% of ice anglers (not forum specific) don't venture out when it gets really cold. There's people with new accounts and lurkers who maybe would never head out in -30c. Things can go good to bad pretty quick in the middle of nowhere. I just wanted to say some things that I found helpful in the deep freeze.
We aren't all HAF.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2021, 12:58 PM »
It's pretty easy to stay at home on days like this.  The season is 6 months long after all.  I am not HAF or DAF but I guess those that are will have the lakes to themselves!

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2021, 01:56 PM »
It's pretty easy to stay at home on days like this.  The season is 6 months long after all.  I am not HAF or DAF but I guess those that are will have the lakes to themselves!
Ha, I wish our season was 6 months. Most years we are lucky if it's 6 weeks this far south. Most of the time here you get the most ice time in by being willing to chance a swim, instead of fighting cold weather 😂

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2021, 02:33 PM »
That cold vortex is headed our way but it wouldn't be that cold here in NY.  So far this weekend only the mid teens but all week it is suppose to get colder.  Our ice on most lakes range from just skimmed to 6".  Were late again this year.  The big lake, Erie has slush ice but that's a start.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.