Author Topic: Automatic fisherman or jaw jacker  (Read 5888 times)

Offline Picking perch

• IceShanty Rookie
Automatic fisherman or jaw jacker
« on: Dec 06, 2018, 08:04 PM »
Looking to try the automatic fisherman or jaw jacker. Any suggestions or comments?

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Automatic fisherman or jaw jacker
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2018, 08:29 PM »
Personally, I'm a Jawjacker fan because of how compact they pack down to and how they're adjustable to a variety of different rod sizes.

Offline Evinrude58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2018, 08:32 PM »
I agree. They pack down great and they are versatile. I use them for crappie, perch, walleye, and catfish. Also dropped one off my sled doing 20mph and didn't hurt it at all.

Offline jiggalo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another great day to be alive!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2018, 08:34 PM »
X2 on the Jawjacker.
Every day is a good day it's just some days are better than others

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2018, 09:30 PM »
I like the jj and it taking up not much room is nice too.
Don

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2018, 10:58 PM »
 I really like my Jawjackers, I dont use them a ton but I catch a lot on them.
 My only complaint is that I dont want to put out a bunch to outfit them with correct power rods reels and line for different species. I really need to find a deal and buy the right rods and extra spools, its just a ton of money. Currently I've been using some jigging rods I've upgraded and replaced.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2018, 05:16 AM »
I have the AF lil bulky but works ...got some HT Hookmasters last season ...work well for pan fish ...going to pair them with some dock runner combos this season

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/ht-enterprises-hookmaster-hookset-system

http://www.uglystik.com/uglystik-combos-spinning-combos/ugly-stik-dock-runner-spinning-combo/1454371.html
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline steak91

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2018, 07:07 AM »
I am a huge jaw jacker fan.  You won't be disappointed.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2018, 08:06 AM »
I have never used an Automatic Fisherman but I own a Jaw Jacker.  The things I like about the Jaw Jacker;
(A) nice wide base and the stabilizing arms "straddle" the hole
(B) simple set up with any rod,  I made braid line loops for several rods and they stay on the rods all the time.  The loops don't get in the way when the rod is used as a standard jigging rod yet is all set up to slip into the Jaw Jacker at any time.
(C) I fish Minnesota at times.  The Jaw Jacker "trigger assembly" can be unpinned and completely removed from the base.  I leave the "trigger assembly" in my truck back at the access.  Now the "base assembly" is a perfectly MN legal, rod holder.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2018, 08:35 AM »
The JJ are probably the best comercially produced one of all the automatic hooksetters in my book as I have/use most of them. Click on either one of the pics at the bottom of this post to see the jigging jacker in action with a bubblebox to keep the holes clear. Video taken at Henrys lake Idaho last weekend. 80% of the fish I caught were on this set-up during the day and night

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=359870.msg3882940#msg3882940
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2018, 01:49 PM »
Im a automatic fisherman fan.  Like the trigger better not all plastic, feel much stronger plastic, made in use 20 year warranty.   And if want compact look at the new snapper by automatic fisherman. 
On a normal day have close to 20 autos out when kids are with me.
Just enjoying life

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2018, 02:00 PM »
I have made probably 5 different types myself. I now just use this one.You can adjust tension by changing the string length. You can adjust the trigger with you pliers.

<===Lefty===

Offline Picking perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2018, 07:47 PM »
Thank you all. I am very surprised it wasn’t closer to a 50/50.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2018, 10:12 PM »
Having used both I no longer use either one. Don't even bring them on the ice.
My hands down favorite is the AK Salmon Bear.
It's just a better system all the way around.
Works with any rod and is much more robust than the jaw jacker.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2018, 06:04 AM »
High shipping charges to the lower 48. Prevent me from purchasing a Salmon Bear. So not a viable option. Most recent check showed an 18.00 shipping charge for each trap.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2018, 07:15 AM »
High shipping charges to the lower 48. Prevent me from purchasing a Salmon Bear. So not a viable option. Most recent check showed an 18.00 shipping charge for each trap.

Make your own.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2018, 09:31 AM »
If what you're looking for is the ability to use a rod look at the finicky foolers. I now own 5 and that's all I use. I sold my jaw jackers. They worked great but I don't like something made of plastic setting the hook for me. It reminds me of when I was a kid and my dad set the hook and I just reeled it in. How to set, when to set, how hard to set are all the big challenges to ice fishing, why have a trap do it for you, now they jig for you to and soon they will automatically reel the fish in also....where is the sport   JMHO
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 08, 2018, 10:08 AM »
Another vote for the JawJackers....they're all I use anymore, retired my tip ups.   :icefish:

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #19 on: Dec 08, 2018, 10:09 AM »
built a few of these last year.  seemed to do just fine. can fine tune as you need.  can make 5 for 20 bucks if you buy everything.  a modern take off from the original "steelie slammers" of the 70s.     57.9 KB    slammer rig1.jpg                  Check                                            Error                                                 

44.1 KB    slammer rig2.jpg                  Check                                            Error                                                 

I didn't glue any of it together either.

I since added a couple eye screws down the side of the shaft for shorter rods.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 08, 2018, 11:51 AM »
One thing I really like about the self setters is that I get mostly lip hooked fish using them.
Using conventional tip ups( or even I'm sure something like the finicky foolers) I get a lot of gut hooked fish that swallowed the bait.
You get busy, not paying enough attention, or they're far enough away from you that the fish has a little bit of time and they end up swallowing the bait.
We all know how that goes whether it's a keeper size fish or not you now have to keep it or put it back down the hole bleeding profusely or cut your line and lose your tackle.
KasilofChrisN

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 08, 2018, 02:39 PM »
A little late but a plus for the jawjackers. I have a couple and they work very well with good adjustments for trigger tension, rod length, and amount of hook set.
Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 08, 2018, 04:46 PM »
      never lost a fish with a fooler     
One thing I really like about the self setters is that I get mostly lip hooked fish using them.
Using conventional tip ups( or even I'm sure something like the finicky foolers) I get a lot of gut hooked fish that swallowed the bait.
You get busy, not paying enough attention, or they're far enough away from you that the fish has a little bit of time and they end up swallowing the bait.
We all know how that goes whether it's a keeper size fish or not you now have to keep it or put it back down the hole bleeding profusely or cut your line and lose your tackle.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 08, 2018, 05:01 PM »
      never lost a fish with a fooler     
Not sure why you're quoting me.
I didn't say anything about losing fish with a finicky fooler or standard tip up.
What I said was with the self setters that set the hook I get mostly lip hooked fish whereas when I use a conventional tip up at least for trout and similar species I get a lot more gut hooked fish.
Lip hooked fish are much easier to release and you don't risk hurting the fish as much.
Are the majority of the fish you've caught on the finicky fooler lip hooked?
KasilofChrisN

Offline LSHD69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2018, 05:50 PM »
If what you're looking for is the ability to use a rod look at the finicky foolers. I now own 5 and that's all I use. I sold my jaw jackers. They worked great but I don't like something made of plastic setting the hook for me. It reminds me of when I was a kid and my dad set the hook and I just reeled it in. How to set, when to set, how hard to set are all the big challenges to ice fishing, why have a trap do it for you, now they jig for you to and soon they will automatically reel the fish in also....where is the sport   JMHO

I’m a fan of the finicky fooler as well.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2018, 05:56 PM »
Not sure why you're quoting me.
I didn't say anything about losing fish with a finicky fooler or standard tip up.
What I said was with the self setters that set the hook I get mostly lip hooked fish whereas when I use a conventional tip up at least for trout and similar species I get a lot more gut hooked fish.
Lip hooked fish are much easier to release and you don't risk hurting the fish as much.
Are the majority of the fish you've caught on the finicky fooler lip hooked?
lose meaning gut hooked and die.

Offline jabers69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 08, 2018, 06:54 PM »
I have 2 AF they work great  and I built  2 of my own which work great also
hook and cook

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 08, 2018, 08:14 PM »
Bought my first one this year. After seeing the Automatic Fisherman in person and seeing multiple videos on both, I went with the Jaw Jacker. I haven’t got it on the ice yet but it’s very well designed and thought out. It also packs down smaller than my Beaver Dam tip ups.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 16, 2018, 12:03 PM »
Just a quick question for those that use these. What lb test are you running? Should I put 8lb on? Can I get away with 6lb? I normally use 6lb on my dead stick rod with a minnow and use 8lb on my medium action jigging pole when using rapalas etc.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 16, 2018, 12:12 PM »
Just a quick question for those that use these. What lb test are you running? Should I put 8lb on? Can I get away with 6lb? I normally use 6lb on my dead stick rod with a minnow and use 8lb on my medium action jigging pole when using rapalas etc.
I only use 6# micro ice on my rods.
I have no problems using mine on my Salmon Bear self setter.
KasilofChrisN

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.