Author Topic: new to walleyes through the ice looking for advice  (Read 2022 times)

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
new to walleyes through the ice looking for advice
« on: Nov 09, 2014, 01:40 AM »
well my goal for the season is to learn walleyes. i know its a big one!   first things first,   where should i be looking for them? depth ranges?   whats too deep? i have a few ideas of lakes to fish and am getting a gps to find the structure but i dont want to be looking at stuff too deep or too shallow. any and all advice will be helpful...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: new to walleyes through the ice looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2014, 06:20 AM »
Get a flasher if you don't already have one.

A solid carbon or graphite rod will help with feeling the strike. I watched a buddy with a fiberglass rod get smoked 3-4 times out because he couldn't feel the bite. He took one of my graphite rods, and hooked up immediately.

Jigging raps and gold spoons are great lures to start with.

When you do get one on the flasher it's a cat and mouse game. Keep the jig above the fish, and keep him coming up until he smacks it.
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Humminbird ICE55 & ICE HELIX 7
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels
Strikemaster 10" Lazer Pro & 6" Lazer
Ice Fishing Innovations Rod Locker

Offline upnortfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: new to walleyes through the ice looking for advice
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2014, 10:54 PM »
GPS with bathymetric maps is almost a necessity, I use the navionics app for android and it is pretty reliable definitely worth the $10 not sure if it is back up on google play store yet though, but if you have an iphone I heard it is still on itunes. Best thing to look for is some funneling structure from deeper water into shallower water. Walleyes often swim into the shallows to feed at dusk, if you can be set up where they are going to come through you can offer them their meal first, normally they will take that opportunity. If you're in the right spot you'll notice a big increase in activity nearing sunset, the walleyes will be cruising through like it is rush hour. As far as staying on them throughout the day its a bit more challenging, early ice they can still be holding to fall patterns look for transitions from hard to soft bottom, mid lake humps, and cribs / cover.

During the day if there is clear water and sun normally your only hope is deep holes, normally as the sun rises the walleyes will head deeper. If the water is stained and it is cloudy they maybe stick more to the shallows and traditional structure. Every body of water can have a different bite but these are some of the general things to look for and tips that I have learned in my few years of being a serious walleye ice angler.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.