The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Help with Auger  (Read 1543 times)

Offline Fresh Water Tuna

• IceShanty Rookie
Help with Auger
« on: Jan 28, 2011, 12:25 PM »
hey guys I am no pro when it comes to small engines.  My auger a jiffy model 77 legend lightning has been acting up lately.  I have had it for about 6 years or so without any issues, now all of sudden the past few times out she is running a little funny.  By funny I mean that it starts and cuts fine but after I rev it up she wont really idle back down.  The blade will stay engaged and spin slowly.  I have not touched any of the setting because it was running great before.  Does anyone have any thoughts as to what could be causing this issue??  Thanks in advance!

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
Re: Help with Auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2011, 12:27 PM »
Sounds like there is a piece of the throttle linkage sticking!!

Offline Fresh Water Tuna

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2011, 12:33 PM »
MDH, I took a quick look at that, but I'll check again.  I also met you last year up to East Grand in March.  You rode over on your 4 wheeler to see how the fishin was.  I was there with a bunch of my hockey buddies from school.  Maybe Ill see you around again! 

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2011, 12:45 PM »
MDH, I took a quick look at that, but I'll check again.  I also met you last year up to East Grand in March.  You rode over on your 4 wheeler to see how the fishin was.  I was there with a bunch of my hockey buddies from school.  Maybe Ill see you around again! 
Hey ya man I remember!! Yeah just waiting for the time to get back up there....should be soon!!! 

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2011, 01:08 PM »
It's just anxious to drill another hole.

Offline icefisha22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2011, 01:11 PM »
my model 30 has done the same thing for the last year. i wouldn't mess with it unless you reallyknow what youre doing
"many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish that they are after"

Offline fishroper

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Remember! The best fish is the one on the ice!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2011, 01:15 PM »
i agree with maineduckhunter with the sticky linkage...don't forget to oil any moving parts every year as to avoid problems like this...and rust.

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2011, 01:18 PM »
my model 30 has done the same thing for the last year. i wouldn't mess with it unless you reallyknow what youre doing

A model 30 is A LOT easier to fix then the Jiffy Lighting!!! :-\  There is A LOT more tiny pieces on the Lighting!!! >:(

Offline grouper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2011, 01:51 PM »
hey guys I am no pro when it comes to small engines.  My auger a jiffy model 77 legend lightning has been acting up lately.  I have had it for about 6 years or so without any issues, now all of sudden the past few times out she is running a little funny.  By funny I mean that it starts and cuts fine but after I rev it up she wont really idle back down.  The blade will stay engaged and spin slowly.  I have not touched any of the setting because it was running great before.  Does anyone have any thoughts as to what could be causing this issue??  Thanks in advance!

As a snow tech. once said ....."IT MUST BE THE GAS"

Offline KINDDOG241

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Women want me and fish fear me"
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2011, 02:13 PM »
im no pro at small engines but sounds like your idle screw on your carbeurater could need adjusting,just a thought

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2011, 02:23 PM »
im no pro at small engines but sounds like your idle screw on your carbeurater could need adjusting,just a thought
yeah I would agree, the air fuel mixture screw my have vibrated out just a touch... I only know the Jiffy 30's though  but its the screw above the jets... atleast it is on the jiffy...  Or the low speed screw might be turned in just a little bit.

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2011, 04:01 PM »
I just looked at mine....have you checked the spring ???  Is that pulling every thing back like it should ???

Offline nofishin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2011, 05:40 PM »
I just looked at mine....have you checked the spring ???  Is that pulling every thing back like it should ???
that is what happend to my 30 two weeks ago.  Get it running and she wouldn't slow down.  then only to half throttle.  there was some dirt and junk on the spring.  cleaned her up and she was good to go. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.